Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Help with Mesh exploding after applying animation to my character

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Mesh exploding after applying animation to my character

Hey, I'm new to using UDK and could use some help....

I exported the mesh and animation using FBX Export and this is what happens when I apply the animation to the mesh.

Before:

and this is after....

any thoughts???

I'm at an standstill on a project until I figure this out

Originally posted by frasher00 View Post
    Hey, I'm new to using UDK and could use some help....

I exported the mesh and animation using FBX Export and this is what happens when I apply the animation to the mesh.

Before:

and this is after....

any thoughts???

I'm at an standstill on a project until I figure this out
    Did you export the character first...Then go back to max/maya and apply the animation then export that?
    Or did you create the animation on the character and only export it once form max/maya?

Thirdly, have you tried un-checking anim rotation only ?
    Look at this image,

Click image for larger version

Name:	Anim Rotation only.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	3248844

Comment

Thank you for responding to my post

What I did was export the mesh AND the animation at the same time.... is that a bad thing?

the "Anim Rotation Only" check box was check and I un-checked it and it helped a little. the mesh is still exploded

Should I normally export the mesh and THEN the mesh with the animation?

Also, my team wanted me to ask if there is a specific naming convention the we need to follow for UDK to properly work for the animations regarding the bones for the character?

Quite frankly I feel like there are not enough tutorials for importing animation into UDK properly ...

Comment

Thank you for responding to my post

What I did was export the mesh AND the animation at the same time.... is that a bad thing?

the "Anim Rotation Only" check box was check and I un-checked it and it helped a little. the mesh is still exploded

Should I normally export the mesh and THEN the mesh with the animation?

Also, my team wanted me to ask if there is a specific naming convention the we need to follow for UDK to properly work for the animations regarding the bones for the character?

Quite frankly I feel like there are not enough tutorials for importing animation into UDK properly ...

It shouldn't really make any difference with the anims, either with the mesh or after! As long as you don't make any alterations to the mesh after the anims have been imported..
        ie; Change skeletal names or controls and then re-import the character without a new animset!

As for naming, no, I never use any naming conventions....My characters and anims are named simply like, character_01 and the anims could just be named character_01 anims..

Its difficult to diagnose without seeing the scene file....Are you using Max or Maya and fbx or actorX ?

Comment

I'm using Maya 2012 and FBX because Actor X is not updated for Maya 2012 after reading "The FBX Content Pipeline has replaced the ActorX plugins and import pipeline." on UDN i dnt think that Actor X will ever be updated for Maya now.

I did not alter the mesh in any way after exporting both the mesh and anims out using FBX

I opened the FBX file in Maya and it plays just fine.....

I wish I could upload the scene file to here or email it to you because I'm to the point where I need to seek out someone who's been using UDK for animation and is experience with this.

Comment

I'm using Maya 2012 and FBX because Actor X is not updated for Maya 2012 after reading "The FBX Content Pipeline has replaced the ActorX plugins and import pipeline." on UDN i dnt think that Actor X will ever be updated for Maya now.

I did not alter the mesh in any way after exporting both the mesh and anims out using FBX

I opened the FBX file in Maya and it plays just fine.....

I wish I could upload the scene file to here or email it to you because I'm to the point where I need to seek out someone who's been using UDK for animation and is experience with this.
            The problem FBX is that it doesn't give you any margin for error like ActorX used to...One mistake and the whole scene is ruined..
            Try and upload it to GameFront or similar and I'll take a look and see what's happening

Comment

Try and upload it to GameFront or similar and I'll take a look and see what's happening
              Lex, I sent you a msg with the link to the rig

Comment

Lex, I sent you a msg with the link to the rig
                I'm downloading it now and I replied to your message

Comment

Looks like a scaling issue to me.. reset xForms? make sure your bones aren't scaled

Comment

im experiencing the same issue

Comment

you might want to check that the root of your skeleton and your mesh's transformations have been frozen before export. (after setting the proper Z up orientation)

Comment

Ok so I renamed the main root of my skeleton to "bRoot"

should I add I prefix to all the bones for example

bRoot
                        - hip
                        - etc....

too

bRoot
                        -bRHip
                        -bRAbdoman
                        -etc..?

Also when I click Reset xForm my character ends up rotated. Ending up looking up as if she is laying down looking at the sky.

Character looks fantastic on initial import but when playing animation she still ends up looking deformed

Comment

IS the root join's translation set at 0,0,0 ?

Comment

yes she is set to 0,0,0

Im trying not to pull out my hair lol.

FBX acts good when importing a non animated skeletal mesh. With textures/materials looking good.
                            FBX animations causes my character to deform severely.

Actor X on the other hand is able to import my character via PSK
                            Actor X is able to play my animations smoothly via PSA =)
                            almost made me cry when I got to see my character with custom rig/mesh come to life =)

I even tried playing the PSA on my FBX skeletal mesh and it turned out severely deformed as well

Comment

When you export the character is it in the same base pose of the UT characters during skinning (if you're using the UT rig)?

Comment

Working...
                              X