Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Character is floating wile crouching...

Hi everyone!
    Once again i hope someone can help me out on this...
    i added a crouching animation to my player-char and its working fine...BUT..

somehow the playercharacter is FLOATING when hes crouched...any ideas how to fix that?

here is a pic:

i hope someone can help
    thanks in advance

Try CrouchTranslationOffset and CrouchMeshZOffset in UDKPawn.uc.

CrouchMeshZOffset is set in StartCrouch(), based on collision cylinder difference.
    CrouchTranslationOffset is part of the foot IK system and may affect the character if that system is still enabled (if your pawn is based on UDKPawn or UTPawn).

Are you using a skeleton based on the default UT3 one?

Comment

nope...im not using the default UDK sekeleton.
      and yes my character is based on UTPawn and i even found the parameters u were talking about...so what do i have to change at them?

from UDKPawn:

simulated event StartCrouch(float HeightAdjust)
      {
      OldZ -= HeightAdjust;
      Super.StartCrouch(HeightAdjust);

// offset mesh by height adjustment
      CrouchMeshZOffset = HeightAdjust; <---this one???
      }

Comment

anyone? please....

Comment

I get a similar issue but the opposite. My character sinks into the ground on the crouch animation. I noticed that the smaller the value of the crouched collision cylinder height was, the more the character would sink in. However if my crouched collision cylinder height was almost the same as the normal collision cylinder, then it wouldnt sink in, but then ofcourse you wouldnt be able to crouch through a small gap. So I too am sorta stumped. My character uses a custom rig, but extends utpawn, so not even the properties slowjusko pointed out work.

Comment

ok i'll try not to be nasty about this but if your using the UTGame code then its a good idea to use the UT3 rig, this is because some of the code works on certain bones.
            if your using a custom rig just for anims then re-skin to the UDK rig copy the UDK anim set and import your anims into that

Comment

actually im using a skelleton from a UT3 game...the one from mass effect (because i got the face bones and everthing in it).

Comment

try using the one from the UDN website http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UDKCustomCharacters.html , i expect the one from ME won't be the same

Comment

What geodav said.
                  UT3/UDK skeleton is the same.
                  ME/ME2 skeleton is not.
                  Could it be as simple as your root origin being wrong?
                  It is fairly common problem.
                  It may be that your root origin is at a different location then what the code supports.

Comment

changed back to the normal UDK skeleton now.
                    im a little bit dissapointed that i coulnt get the ME skel to work....u can do far more things with it the normal UDK one.
                    But it will be useful for making cinematics.

Comment

I'm sure it would be possible to make the ME skeleton work, but not with the default code and settings. You would need some mucking around before you found them.

Comment

well i got 90% working now....the "floating while crouching" is one of the last issues.

Comment

Working...
                        X