Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Adding lots of meshes to UDK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding lots of meshes to UDK

I have a sports stadium that was created in 3DS Max that I am trying to get into UDK. The biggest problem I'm running into is that there are several thousand seats in the stadium that I need to import. For my purposes, it really isn't feasible to merge them together. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get several thousand meshes into a level? Dragging and dropping them all individually just isn't practical. I can export the seats in their current positions and then they line up in UDK just where they need to, but this means I have to apply materials and add them to the level one at a time. I can export a single chair and apply materials to it, but I then have to duplicate it thousands of times in the level. In the Max scene the seats were placed using a custom script, so it would not be easy to duplicate in UDK.

Any suggestions on how to address this problem would be greatly appreciated.

If one of the seats has a uv map and a second uv map(for the light map)than try to apply those tho the rest of the seats so that every seat has them.Then combine(autodesk maya therm) all of the seats and export them and import them in udk and if you apply one material it will apply to all.

note 1:
    when you combine the seats in max apply one shader to all of the combined seats.If by mistake there was more than lets say one lambert aplyed to the seats the extra seat that has the second shader will not be textured in udk and you will have to manyaly plug the shader for that one.

note2:I think there is a limit of a model polycount that you can import in udk.Probably something like 65000tris.So if all te combined seats sum more than that you will have to combine the seats in more than one group and abviosly export more than one file.

Comment

Its very easy to hit that 65535 ceiling as majic12 said. Definitely group the seats into segments...

Comment

Are you suggesting that I make all the seats one mesh? If that is the case, I can't do that. I need each seat to have it's own properties in UDK, and I also need the seats to have their own LOD's to try and save on my frame rate. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Comment

I was suggesting you group the seats into clusters: 10-20 seats or 20-50 with Massive LOD etc depending on how many there are. Not sure why you'd need absolute control over each seat, is it to do with custom material slots? Don't see any shortcut to importing + creating + placing unless its done in some kind of custom UC or kismet actor factory 'construction script'. Its the kind of thing that UE4 can do, but it would take some time to get right in UDK.... You could look at Rama's script maybe, but it would mean everything has to be dynamic...

Comment

If you are making a stadium (and not planing on walking close to those seats)see a few tennis,football games and you will notice that most of the time there are no seats and the people are sitting on a concrete/stone basic shape mesh or if there are seats they are extremly simple because the people are animated bilboard textures who are usualy standing and hiding whats behind.That was for old gen games,not sure if the approach is the same today.(instancing?)As frankit said,you shoud group the seats.

Something(probably stupid),maybe to import one seat and try to add it with the paint brush(just like grass),tweaking the options carefuly and see if you can paint the seats on top of the stadium???

Comment

Hourences released an Array tool that does exactly what you need. - check out his website & see if that helps

Comment

Working...
              X