Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Sketchup to UDK = Feasable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sketchup to UDK = Feasable?

I made this building model in Sketchup a while back and I wondered if it's possible to make it into something I can walk around.

Tell me what you think or if there's too much brushwork or something and I'd be wasting my time. I'm a complete novice with modelling tools and UDK.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...449334236ed738

um... you can export as fbx from sketchup. I usually go via 3dsmax because sketchpu tends to mess up the verts and they need rewelding.

Comment

Well there's loads of verts in this model so am I looking at lots and lots of work? I'm wondering how it'll run as well. Might not even be worth it on this computer because it's only a dual core.

Comment

For work it will work.Im reading 62,099 polygons(are you refering to triangles?)Any way udks limit of importing a mesh is 65000 triangles so you will be able to import it.On the other way if this is a building with no interior for you to enter its waay to high poly.Shoud be less.Do it and see the result.On the other hand in the future if you want to make buildings in which you can enter(games ore arquitecture)furst make the bulding low poly from the outside and another separate mesh for the interior and combine them in udk.

Comment

No idea about the triangles and what it's all made of.

I could strip out the insides, they're not that important.

It's not for a game, I just want a way to look around it in realtime with reflections and proper lighting. I tried rendering it with a few different Sketchup tools but they results were really **** and took ages. But thanks.

Comment

I would suggest that you brake down the model.

You already have it basically designed as a Modular Type Asset.

Import and reassemble it in UDK.

Also... UDK doesn't support JPG files. You would have to change out your materials with PNG's or for best results use TGA format.

Comment

I suspect that you are in to arquitecture and not games.If you use sketchup and just want to walk around yourr creations maybe a software like lumion woud help you more and give you what you want the easy way.I just saw a video integration between skecthup and lumion and just for presentations is better.Not sure if they have a free version but go and tak a look.You coud achieve udk type things lith less work but its not a game engine.

Sorry for the writing mistakes.Its all most 3 at night and i can barely keep my eyes open and im typing on the keyboard with the lights off.Its a miracle i coud even do something

Comment

I tried Lumion, thanks . Didn't know anything like that existed. Runs really slowly on my computer, so I'll probably come back to this in a few years ) What prompted me to try UDK was when I played Mirror's Edge, but I read somewhere that the tools aren't working properly for that.

Comment

export as fbx if you can
                  if not export to something blender will import, then export as fbx from there.

Comment

export model as collada(.dae) and import the .dae object to blender and export the imported object as an fbx and import the fbx to udk. tested on blender 2.7

Comment

Working...
                    X