Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Unreal Engine 4 release date

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal Engine 4 release date

Hello,

I have got a really simple question, but i couldn't find any answer in other forums...
    When will release the Unreal Engine 4? ...any little conjecture?

I'm very interested in the real time indirect illumination for archviz.

Thanks answer in advance,

Regards,
    Mátyás Végh

No one knows I'm afraid bud, don't think Epic have given a release date yet.

Cryengine has real time lighting though although I'm probably not supposed to point that out on here

Comment

From what I've seen and read about the content developed with the UDK and Unreal 4 is the same. The Unreal 4 Engine is just a much better tool for programming changes and much better lighting and other rendering features. I don't think we'll be seeing a UDK style license of Unreal 4 for some time.

Comment

I think in order for them to release a UDK version of UE4, they first need to make sure the engine is stable enough to do so. On a side note, the UDK in the Editor window simply means they are running UDKGame.

Comment

Perhaps if we bug them enough, they will give us a release date? :P

Comment

But if we bug them too much it will distract them from getting it ready :P.... I needs it so I can make an aircraft carrier as a drivable vehicle...

Comment

Originally posted by skwisdemon666 View Post
              I needs it so I can make an aircraft carrier as a drivable vehicle...
              yeah I need it because of reasons too.
              but really mainly I needed so that I don't stay obsolete with UE3 because my game is meant to work as a base for my next game, and the next and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
                yeah I need it because of reasons too.
                but really mainly I needed so that I don't stay obsolete with UE3 because my game is meant to work as a base for my next game, and the next and so on.
                ^ what he said

Comment

don't know why the people keep asking when the unreal engine 3 will be available, anybody that has asked that on the forum has just looked at the new devil may cry game ? it is made witht he unreal engine 3, is just awesome, with the udk we can make everything that we wanted, i think that the administrators need to close all this kind of thread that keep asking for the new engine.

when the engine will be available you will find it in the download section and you can find any news in a lot of sites.

Comment

Originally posted by daimaku View Post
                    don't know why the people keep asking when the unreal engine 4 will be available, anybody that has asked that on the forum has just looked at the new devil may cry game ? it is made witht he unreal engine 3, is just awesome, with the udk we can make everything that we wanted, i think that the administrators need to close all this kind of thread that keep asking for the new engine.
                    I'm just trying to look forward in order to avoid obsolescence.
                    but really it's a little bit like saying "why are you guys using unreal engine 3, when unreal engine 2 was an awesome and perfectly usable engine?"

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
                      I'm just trying to look forward in order to avoid obsolescence.
                      but really it's a little bit like saying "why are you guys using unreal engine 3, when unreal engine 2 was an awesome and perfectly usable engine?"
                      i didn't tried to tell that Chosker, only trying to point that the UE4 is not out, why we need to be worried about it if we can work with the actual release of udk ? and we can make good games with it?

i know for sure that the new engine will be very powerfull and i'm wainting for it too, but i know for sure that the UE4 will be not released any time soon.

all of us want to work with the best tools, including me, but i saw this week almost three or four thread asking the same thing "when the UE4 will be released".

i don't try to tell to not use the new engine i'm only trying to tell that the current release is capable to do all we need, when the new engine is out we can get hands on it, in the mean time we need to wait for it.

sorry if my first post was miss understood

Comment

Originally posted by daimaku View Post
                        i didn't tried to tell that Chosker, only trying to point that the UE4 is not out, why we need to be worried about it if we can work with the actual release of udk ?
                        I know you didn't, I was just putting your words slightly out of context to make a similar example

you see if you work with an engine that's constantly being updated it's like someone's giving you a very helping hand in your development. I know UE3 is very feature-rich but it'll eventually become obsolete (just like UE2 has), and you can already see its development is halting.

a lot of us around here work in small teams, have ambitious goals and/or have only little free time to work on our projects, which means very long development cycles. we're talking about a hobby that lasts years here.
                        and personally I've been through it myself, I used to work with an engine called Nebula2 and was still working with it 5 years after the last time it was updated. at first you think you're fine but then you start seeing how other engines continue to grow and offer better and better features: all graphically, on their toolsets, their workflow, gameplay possibilities, etc. and let me tell you that if your development cycle is a long one it's very frustrating to see how your efforts become obsolete along with the engine you're using

Comment

But then consider the nightmare of transferring all of your work to a new engine. I suppose this is why you time your game nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAgent View Post
                            But then consider the nightmare of transferring all of your work to a new engine. I suppose this is why you time your game nicely.
                            yes that's why for now I'm focusing on stuff that will transfer nicely: animations
                            but really I'm just going to try and make a mobile game while UE4 comes out

Comment

Thanks the comments!

Dear daimaku

"why we need to be worried about it if we can work with the actual release of udk ? and we can make good games with it?"
                              - yes, it is enough for game developers, but not enought for archviz or such usage

"i don't try to tell to not use the new engine i'm only trying to tell that the current release is capable to do all we need"
                              - nope, UDK can't render realtime indirect illumination... but other engines can

I'm very interested in the realtime global illumination, becaus this feature is an elementary render effect to create beautiful interior or exterior animations / images.
                              I have arrived to a crossroad. Other engines can use realtime indirect illumination, but UDK is now can't. I think UDK is a really great engine, but without this feature not enough good to me. So i understand that you don't care what is the release date of UDK, becaus your engine-usage can miss this realtime GI, but please be patient about other users, who use the engine for alternative solutions.

I'm not an UDK geek, so i had no any cloud that Epic Games posted release date or not, so i must to know, that is a good choice to wait for UDK 4 or use other engines from now.

Comment

Working...
                              X