Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Archviz Project

Hello, guys.

I´m working on my college graduation final project. For this, I´m building a 3D interactive architectural environment that will be used in the project and I want to share this work with you.

The user will be able to change the materials on the fly.

Fell free for any questions or comments =)

Image links are broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacky View Post
      Image links are broken.
      Now they are ok,
      thanks =)

Comment

Looks awesome.

Comment

Amazing! How did you make those stairs cast both soft shadows and crisp dynamic shadows at the same time? Like soft ones from bounced light, and crisp ones - directly from sun? I mean, there's only one light source here, and it produces both direct and indirect lighting AND correct shadowing, than it's even more mind-blowing! *(2nd pic describes it best)

As far as I know, UDK doesn't allow objects to cast shadows from indirect lighting unless it's a fake indirect lighting made by placing additional light source

Comment

I can only see the small images.

Comment

I second unreal_polyneutron's comment. Beautiful work.

While I'm at it recommend any decent lighting tutorials for ArchViz?

Comment

Thank you guys!

I'm trying to implement a function on this project that will turn it possible to change the materials of the objects by clicking over them. I want to make it like an invisible gun. You aim the object you want and "fire" to change its colors.

But I couldn't make it work yet, if anyone could help with some tip, I'd appreciate it. Here is the dedicated thread: http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...How-to-do-that

Originally posted by unreal_polyneutron View Post
                Amazing! How did you make those stairs cast both soft shadows and crisp dynamic shadows at the same time? Like soft ones from bounced light, and crisp ones - directly from sun? I mean, there's only one light source here, and it produces both direct and indirect lighting AND correct shadowing, than it's even more mind-blowing! *(2nd pic describes it best)

As far as I know, UDK doesn't allow objects to cast shadows from indirect lighting unless it's a fake indirect lighting made by placing additional light source
                About the stairs shadows... The crisp dynamic shadows are generated by the sunlight. The soft shadows are generated by five PointLightToggleable lights inside the room. You can see one of them on the right corner of the image. If I turn those lamps off, the room becomes dark and the stairs will be casting only the dynamic shadows:

Originally posted by gyhser View Post
                I second unreal_polyneutron's comment. Beautiful work.

While I'm at it recommend any decent lighting tutorials for ArchViz?
                Well.. Everything I know I've got during the last seven years while studying and working with 3D Studio Max, Vray and Mental ray. There are a plenty of nice tutorials about those tools over the internet and they are kind of specific for each tool, but I think you can grab some default knowledge about lighting while watching them.

You can find some here: http://www.evermotion.org/

And here is the same project that I'm using on this UDK work but rendered with Vray on 3DS:

Comment

Hello, guys!

I tweaked the BaseLightmass.ini file to improve the lightmass rendering quality over the default production mode (it wasn't enough for acceptable interior illumination quality and that was forcing me to use artificial lights inside the room to compensate it even during the day).

I also added a post process volume inside the house to simulate eye adaptation and compensate the interior darkness.

Comment

**** nice! Even better than some of the Vray renders i've seen and this is real time. Good job.

Comment

ho. it looks like just a photo!

Comment

Originally posted by unreal_polyneutron View Post

Hello, my friend.

For my surprise, I discovered that if you set the light building quality very high, it can actually cast soft shadows by indirect light... You can see it here:

And when I say "very high" I mean to tweak the file UDK\UDKGame\Engine\Config\BaseLightmass.ini because "production quality" setting is not good enough for that.

Just change the file like that:

Code:
                        [DevOptions.StaticLightingProductionQuality]
                        NumShadowRaysScale=8
                        NumPenumbraShadowRaysScale=32
                        ApproximateHighResTexelsPerMaxTransitionDistanceScale=6
                        MinDistanceFieldUpsampleFactor=5
                        NumHemisphereSamplesScale=64
                        NumImportanceSearchPhotonsScale=24
                        NumDirectPhotonsScale=128
                        ; Decrease direct photon search distance so that we will have more accurate shadow transitions.  This requires a higher density of direct photons.
                        DirectPhotonSearchDistanceScale=.1
                        NumIndirectPhotonPathsScale=4
                        ; Need a lot of indirect photons since we have increased the number of first bounce photons to use for final gathering with NumImportanceSearchPhotonsScale
                        NumIndirectPhotonsScale=16
                        NumIndirectIrradiancePhotonsScale=2
                        NumCausticPhotonsScale=1
                        ; Decreasing the record radius results in more records, which increases quality
                        RecordRadiusScaleScale=.1
                        InterpolationMaxAngleScale=.5
                        ; Decreasing the min record radius allows more records in corners for a higher quality result
                        MinRecordRadiusScale=.25
                        I changed the StaticLightingProductionQuality settings so every time I choose Production Quality in UDK it will use the tweaked settings. It will take much longer to bake but the quality is much better...

Comment

That's really great work! the lighting is really fantastic! I hope you'll be adding some more details, Maybe some interesting wall colors in a room to play with the bounced lighting

Comment

Hello rabellogp! Really nice stuff you have here!
                            I was wondering: how many lights do you have in your scene? Only one dominant directional?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Shannon View Post
                              That's really great work! the lighting is really fantastic! I hope you'll be adding some more details, Maybe some interesting wall colors in a room to play with the bounced lighting
                              Thanks, man. Unfortunately the bounced lightning doesn't work with dynamic materials... It will produce the lightmaps with the default color and ignore the information of the color that will be changed after the trigger. That's the limitation of static global illumination... =/

Comment

Working...
                              X