Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

iOS for Architecture?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iOS for Architecture?

I've been trying to convert some of our levels to iOS and having some difficulty matching quality. I didn't expect to match the PC quality perfectly but hoping that it would be close. But it's not even close. Reflections are crappy, lightmass calculation for some reason isn't as good as PC version, and other limitations combined makes it look very flat. Can't even make a good looking glass material.

So I tried looking for other examples of iOS games and they all look inadequate of architecture use. Do others agree with me on this or can anyone share an example of great quality iOS version that could be used for architectural visualization?

Did you try enabling gama correction?

Comment

you can always bake textures in 3d app with some nice rendering setup and use them on "unlit" material
      reflections - they are not that good on IOS - if you want to make them "real"
      refractions - you might try to fake them but it won't be easy - they won't work for most stuff (windows for example)

big problem with IOS environment reflections is that you can't get full 360 spherical (or cubemap) environment

Comment

I'm sure gamma correction is not the issue here and yea I'm aware of the limitation in reflection and refraction. I have a library of quality spheremaps and none of them look good. Baking the texture may work on small apartment type but not for big outdoor development. That'll be too much textures. I just haven't seen any example of great quality iOS version.

Comment

This is basically the difference I'm getting.

Attached Files

Comment

Looks like you're getting the old "uncompressed lightmaps" issue on mobile there: http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...ighting-Issues
            We actually just swapped the Red and Blue values of all our lights for iOS to fix the color issue. You'll also get poorer quality texture-maps scene-wide because of the PVRTC. It's brutal. No specular and no real normal mapping also are a big hit to the quality of arch-vis on mobile.
            BTW, the PC version looks fantastic!

Comment

Thanks. I've always turned off compressed lightmaps so that wasn't the issue. I forgot to update this thread but I did play around with it a bit and got it to look fairly close to the PC version. And it's running pretty good on the iPad2.

Limitation on the reflection still is a problem however. Sphere map may work for this little loft but for larger outdoor project, it will be a limiting factor. Hope Epic includes cube map in the near future.

Attached Files

Comment

nice! That's looking really great. Super-impressive

Comment

That looks fantastic. Care to share any tricks you found useful?

Comment

I added little bit of constant warm emissive to all mobile materials. I found that to be the best way of balancing color. It is a chore however because one value doesn't work for all material so I had to tweak each material separately.

Comment

I remember i we found somewhere that one guy r add "-SimMobile" to the shortcut of Mobile previewer so that will start -open gl es 2,0 rendering-, im not sure what is it about but u can try it.

Comment

post 2 pic of my working stuff on IOS

Comment

Was wondering how did you managed to do the glasses, they look very plausible on the ios, mind sharing?

Also, how did you managed to get that vibrant look and little texture loss?

Doing a similar project and bumping in a few problems with the mobile stuff

Comment

Originally posted by CatWare View Post
                            Was wondering how did you managed to do the glasses, they look very plausible on the ios, mind sharing?

Also, how did you managed to get that vibrant look and little texture loss?

Doing a similar project and bumping in a few problems with the mobile stuff
                            I don't mind sharing as I believe more people using UDK for architecture will make the whole sector grow and grow together. But I don't know what to tell you because I really didn't do anything special except color correcting it with emissive constant like I've said. Maybe you can post your images and perhaps try to figure out what you're doing wrong? And as for glass, it looks crappy on my end too. I don't know why you say it looks plausible. I just used plain texture with about 50% alpha and adjusted it in mobile color. And used busiest spheremap I have as reflection map.

Comment

Ok, I managed the glasses, but I'm getting alot of jageddy lines, and having alot of problems with lightmaps. We are taking too long to make them and they are not perfect. Is there a way to do lightmapping automaticly? (udk create uv set is awful)

Examples:
                              Jaggedy

Lowres shadows:

WeirdShadows

Comment

Working...
                              X