Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Architecture newbie

Hi guys
    I have been using UDK for a little while, so far I have made a few games that has saved me a few quid in birthday presents!!
    Since discovering that it can be used for architecture, I have made a couple of houses that I can walk around, the only problem I am having is, if someone was to hire me for this, it just wouldnt look very good them walking around their new house with a gun in their hand and a scoreboard! Can some kind soul do a step by step tutorial on setting UDK up for architecture without a gun or scoreboard please?
    Thanking you guys in advance.

For the HUD, You can basically toogle it via Kismet - ToogleHUD connect with LevelLoaded(or something like that) and Player. For weapon You probably should make new script file.

PS: If I made some mistakes, sorry, english isn't my native language.

Comment

In your level you can use Kismet to remove the HUD and WorldInfo (Found in the main toolbar under View-World Properties) to remove the weapon (Check No Default Inventory For Player).

Comment

Silly question..........and thanks for the info Pootz, I got rid of the weapon!!!! I did the kismet bit but I wasnt sure as to what the 'All..yers' was in the circle under toggle hud. One other thing, the 'Game Type fo PIE' I looked for something in the pop down list for something with the letters 'Arde', and couldnt find anything.
        Again thankyou for helping me, I appreciate it.

Comment

The 'All..yers' is the Player variable.
          'Arde..' is a custom gametype I created. This allows me to set up a few defaults including player movement speed, view pitch, eye height etc in a custom Pawn class. I'm not a programmer but it's pretty easy to set up and modify some basic defaults. You can find info about custom game from Hourences and there's a lot more info about such things on the UDK forums regarding general scripting if you get stuck.

http://www.theballthegame.com/tutorialudk.htm

Comment

Thankyou thankyou thankyou! Ive done it, now I can work on my new dream house! well, I can dream!!!!! lol Thankyou for your help here, I will also do the tutorial on your site as well.

Comment

Cool you got it sorted.
              That link is not to my site, but be sure to check out more from Hourences.
              http://www.hourences.com/

Comment

How do you disable the scoreboard and the inventory because if you hit F1 or F10 the HUD pops up again?

Comment

I would suggest that you use ToggleCinematicMode kismet node. In its properties, disable everything except for input.

Comment

I just posted something similar to this in another thread, but I would suggest a custom Gametype, Controller, Pawn, HUD setup for something like this as it provides a clean framework to build off of instead of needing to hack things into each map using Kismet. The Controller and Pawn may be optional depending on your goals, but a custom gametype and HUD seem almost absolutely necessary for doing any sort of professional ArchViz work with UDK. It may be more work on the front end, but it will save you time on the back end when you start working on multiple projects or have multiple visualizations you want to show. Instead of needing to setup each map with hacks, you already have a solid framework that allows any new map to be dropped in and it just works.

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
                      I just posted something similar to this in another thread, but I would suggest a custom Gametype, Controller, Pawn, HUD setup for something like this as it provides a clean framework to build off of instead of needing to hack things into each map using Kismet. The Controller and Pawn may be optional depending on your goals, but a custom gametype and HUD seem almost absolutely necessary for doing any sort of professional ArchViz work with UDK. It may be more work on the front end, but it will save you time on the back end when you start working on multiple projects or have multiple visualizations you want to show. Instead of needing to setup each map with hacks, you already have a solid framework that allows any new map to be dropped in and it just works.
                      While I perfectly agree with you, developing a new gametype/HUD will require some programming. I think alot of poeple who work in the ArchViz field lack this ability. Therefor, using kismet is the best way to get them started at least.

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
                        I would suggest a custom Gametype, Controller, Pawn, HUD setup for something like this.
                        This sounds like good advice. Is there a tutorial on how to achieve this?

Comment

Originally posted by Good Friar View Post
                          This sounds like good advice. Is there a tutorial on how to achieve this?
                          looking for the same answer.
                          please let us know.

Comment

There are quite a few tutorials out there on how to set up custom gametypes, etc. If you've never programmed before or never worked in a real-time 3D environment it can be VERY overwhelming.
                            Creating good interactive environments REQUIRES programming. Flash, Director, Unity, etc. You can get only so far without hitting the scripting. So, either team up with a scripter or start hittin' the books. It's a really tough thing to get into, but once you do, you'll reap the benefits.
                            I'd love to see an open-source set of gametypes, etc. just for arch-viz. We'd be happy to contribute our code as we go along. I have no clue how to set something like that up, but would be happy to use it if somebody did :P

Comment

Working...
                            X