New Melee Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Melee Game

This is my first attempt at starting a real project with UDK. I had worked on a previous project for quite some time merely as a means of acquainting myself with the engine and I feel, despite still being a very novice programmer, that I'm ready to create something with real direction and thought behind it. Here are a couple of videos showing some combat and the two weapons I have currently implemented (there is also a bow and arrow but I have to make some tweaks before I show it off):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_quNwYowyQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-ut7CnI93Q
    The combat is inspired by games like Chivalry, Dark Souls and an old game called Blade of Darkness. I am deciding whether or not to include magic at some point, and I'm a sucker for being able to summon things like beasts, zombies or companions so that will be added later. Please give me honest feedback based on these videos and I will attach a link for the .exe once I get menu-related things sorted. Thank you

If its for a portfolio piece than its good.If you are planing on doing a full game than there shoud be a lot of work involved.(for example just by looking at neonghos project https://forums.epicgames.com/threads...s-of-the-Arena)
    From the video i can see that it works but those type of games tend to get realy complex(most of the time regarding animations)so yeah,it has the potential.Realy cant say more right now.As you can see the forums are close to dead so getiing vital info will be hard.If you are pleased with the project just continue working and litle by litle this will take some shape.
    Thought on any storry plot?By looking at it it somehow reminded me of a old game knights of the temple for ps2/xbox.

Comment

Yeah by 'real project' I only meant I actually had an idea in mind, as opposed to just doing whatever in an attempt to learn stuff (though I'm obviously still learning things). The animations I have right now are a little unrefined but they are acting they way I want them to, mostly. I do not plan on adding anything else special to the melee system as I want to keep it simple. As for story, I do have one in mind but it's a bit long-winded at the moment so I'm working on simplifying it. If this forum is dying, are there any other forums/communities you could refer me to for some feedback?

Comment

By dying i mean people are moving/have moved to ue4 and others.Maybe you can find aditional support from users at places like gameartisians/polycount forums but here there is still a bunch of(more than qualified) people still suporting others.Just dont expect users posting everyday in your thread giving info on whats good and what not.

Comment

Even though the forum is dying as Majic12 said, some devs do check in regularly or at least from time to time. So you may be able to bounce ideas off the likes of Neongho, Obihb and CobaltUDK etc... Good luck!

Comment

I could get MPMelee code going, but first i had to learn a lot, and a lot means insanely a lot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTme3AI-3u0 the traces (uses traces of sockets ) on the attachment, wich the attachment is a skeletalMeshComponent on the pawn, From the server side.

And everything worked fine, even with m8 of australia( main animator ) wich is the one saying stuff on the video. Like there was no lag i checked the pings and was very cool.
            Collision ( physsics asset of the SkeletalMeshComponent ) worked greatly to.

Good luck !, if you want me to share code with you send me pm....

Comment

well,id say youre off to a bloody good start.

maybe some speed variation for the enemy.it looks too ut3.

Comment

Wow, that looks great! What do you plan on doing with it?

Comment

Thank you all very much again for your feedback and comments I do realise alot of people are moving to UE4, and I was trying to also at one point but I didn't want to waste all the time and effort I put into learning UDK this far. Maybe some time in the future. I know the enemies look pretty robotic and have that 'UT' feel which is hard to shake off without alot of polish, but it is definitely something I am working on improving. I was thinking of implementing a 'sprint' feature so the enemies can charge at you when you have an opening (or want to close the distance), and slowing down their base movement speed. At the moment I'm still working on some combat kinks and a dodge ability for the player.
                  As for what I plan on doing with it, I have a few level ideas in mind that I hope will capture the essence of the game and will be simple enough to produce, and I am also still modelling the player character (the one in the videos is from my old game). I have recently come into contact with a few local indie team members and I'm hoping I'll be able to share this with them and have someone real to talk with and perhaps at some point work with, but that's still up in the air. I will be uploading an 'atmosphere' video soon which will show more of the mood of the game rather than just showing off gameplay.

Comment

Did you recive my pm shindawg?

Comment

Working...
                    X