Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

First Peek: Himeko Sutori

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Peek: Himeko Sutori

Update 27 December 2015: Squad menu almost done. Made some animated .gifs to show off progress on that, plus some more combat.

Update 14 November 2015: Slimes and goblins added. Working on lighting and more variable terrain.

Update 7 November 2015: New pixelly backgrounds tie the look of the game together better, game now takes height into account during movement.

Update 18 October 2015: New logo. Is it too close to someone else's logo? Any advice?

Update 13 October 2015: New combat video. This video doesn't suck. (You gotta use Fraps, I learned. Camtasia is not for recording gameplay.)

Update 21 August 2015: Making progress with a new combat demo level, plus some lighting tricks I learned from coldscooter.

Update 30 July 2015: New gif (see latest entry for link to animated version) showing new combat engine.

Update 21 June 2015: New screenshots showing off pixel art, character portraits.

Update 22 May 2015: Development still ongoing. Check out the website, dev blog, and new screen shots. Kickstarter will relaunch in the coming months.

Update 3 February 2015: And a Kickstarter and Greenlight campaign! Come on guys, just $15 for a copy of the game and it's costs you nothing to vote on Greenlight! Help one of your fellow UDKers out. And please tell your friends! Thanks everyone. More updates to follow.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../himeko-sutori
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=385717966

Update 31 January 2015: New video showing combat and AI pathfinding. Take a look at bottom entry for the latest video.

Update 17 January 2015: New video showing click-to-move, A* pathfinding algorithm, squad formation movement, and new 2D art assets.

Update 12 January 2015: Combat system teaser screenshot. Video to come in the next week or two if all goes well...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	CombatPreview.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	3254032

Update 3 December 2014: New video showing oudoor level, transitions into and out of buildings, plus hiring new soldiers.

Update 20 November 2014: New video uploaded. See below.

Here is my very first public announcement of Himeko Sutori. I could tell you all that it's a story-driven, turn-based, tactical JRPG, following the lives of three young women in a time of turmoil, where anyone--even your own most reliable units--can betray you. But all that wouldn't mean anything yet without many lines of code to back it up. So here are some screenshots. I would say that the whole engine is about half finished. As of right now, I'm working on menus and dialog trees. After that I need to flesh out the combat system, then I'll work on the class/level-up system. After I have something approaching a complete game engine, I'll start cranking out the content. For now though, enjoy the screenshots.

Name:	HS-MainMenu.jpg
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	3253998

Name:	HS-FirstLevel.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	3253999

Name:	HS-JournalEntries.jpg
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	3254000

Interesting work Nathaniel... How long have you been working on it?

Comment

Thanks. I've been kicking some ideas around for a couple of years now, but I really got started working on this early this year, maybe around March. Since then I haven't been doing much else with my free time. I spent a while trying to figure out the best way to show 2D characters in a 3D world, working out the materials for animating sprites and changing the sprites based on which way the pawn is facing, working on a playercontroller/camera combo that works best for me turning the pawn in the direction of movement while keeping the camera in the same place, and a bunch of other really boring tasks. Now that I have all of the really basic foundation set, I'm starting to get into actually building the game.

Comment

Good luck, it looks great...

Comment

New video uploaded:

Comment

New video:

Comment

Bump. New screenshot in top entry. I've added a placeable actor for the each square on the battlemap. When the battle starts, each square figures out which squares are adjacent and that's stored in an array. Movement range and A* pathfinding are based on that. Each square also spawns a custom DecalActor for its outline, a green highlight for possible movement, red for blocked movement, and I'll come up with another decal to mark squads you can attack. Video to come.

Comment

Bump. New video. See top entry.

Comment

Cool! Looking forward to seeing combat...

Comment

Nice! Looking really good. I like how the pixel characters work with the cell shaded backgrounds.

Comment

Thanks frankit and monkeypuzzle. As for combat, yesterday I made a little Flash movie that animates text for a damage popup. To get it to show up, I make a GFx movie player at runtime, make it run my movie, put the movie into a TextureRenderTarget2D that I make at runtime (which turned out to be more bothersome than I expected), put the texture render target into a material's texture parameter, and I put that material onto a mesh that I render in the foreground... all just to control how the text popup animates. And I haven't even gotten into detecting whether you clicked on an enemy squad yet... ಠ_ಠ

And monkeypuzzle, yeah, when I started using pixel characters, I realized that I needed to do something to make the background match. I hoped the toon lines would kind of bring it all together, and I guess it worked!

Comment

New video showing combat and AI pathfinding:

I'd like to launch a Kickstarter soon so that I can work on this full-time for at least a couple of months. Any thoughts?

Comment

Good looking gameplay; why not it's always good to try.

Comment

Thank Neongho! I'll go ahead and get started on that Kickstarter. I wish that I had more at this point, but I guess the best way forward now is to start full-time development... and the way to do that is by getting funding.

Comment

Here's the latest! I appreciate whatever help you can provide! Thanks everyone here at the UDK Forums. I really appreciate all of your help!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../himeko-sutori
                              http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=385717966

Comment

Working...
                              X