Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory Leak (Student Oculus Rift game)

Hi!

This is my first post here but I've been using UDK for at least 4 years now studying game art and design at the Savannah College of Art and Design, and its definitely my favorite game development tool! So that is why I started a game project at my university last summer and am now sharing the results of our progress.

I set out to develop a title that squeezed a large amount of gameplay out of a small environment, and that would bridge older game concepts with more recent ones. I began to prototype a Pac-Man style game that used a two story home with randomly generated obstacles (locked doors, air ducts, etc...) to act as the maze. Four ghosts with four unique AI patterns were added and were based on four senses: sight, sound, touch, taste/smell. The player was to collect pellets while avoiding ghosts that used these sensory functions to located and damage the player. However, there was a twist, the ghosts used the PLAYER's sensory functions to locate them and had no sensory functions of their own. So the player has to move around covering up different senses to throw off the ghosts and locate items, keeping in mind that closing off one sense will strengthen the others. The game would also generate 14 random sets of rules that would take effect over 14 sessions, 7 days sessions and 7 night. The player would drop in at a random day or night of the week and have to survive and escape the house.

Eventually it was decided the game needed a light narrative and we used Clue (or Cluedo) as an inspiration to meet this goal. We created an ambiguous story which involved entering the fleeting haunted memories of a murder victim to interpret what he remembers and ultimately draw conclusions as to where the murder took place, who murdered him, and with what. The week would progress lineally giving the player 14 sessions, or 1 week, to solve the randomly generated murder. Exploring the house will reveal extra hints, secrets, and strategies to give players an edge, and may just reveal some details surrounding the circumstances of the mysterious murder victim's death, and what he may be hiding.

In this game there is no "right" way to play, just different ways. Your sense of exploration, rapid planning, and attention to detail will be what keeps you alive.

Anyway it was an excellent learning experience and it definitely went through the crucible. It moved from class to class, with professors putting on all sorts of interesting special restrictions and challenges for the team, (or many times just myself!) to overcome to ensure the game survives and makes it to release.

TLDR

Its a mystery arcade game with Oculus Rift support created by college students studying game art and design. This is the first public release and its pretty buggy, but its overall finished and ready for bug squashing, tweaks, and re-balancing.

Run the UDKInstall-MemoryLeak.exe file​.
    Follow the onscreen instructions to install Memory Leak.
    ​After installation, game will be located in C:\UDK\MemoryLeakAlpha1\Binaries\Win32\UDK.exe.
    After launching the game, Press alt+enter to go into full screen mode if you choose to do so.

download can be found at:
    http://www.laythondesign.com/design.html

Thanks! I'm excited to hear your feedback, criticisms, and answer any questions.

Working...
X