Demon Core

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Demon Core

Hello folks! Here's a project that's been going on for a while now and we want to share it with the rest of the UDK community! This is Demon Core.

Demon Core is a first-person survival action game, a heroic story against an overwhelming enemy, featuring an edgy female protagonist; a scientist forced to take up arms when everything falls apart. To survive against the overwhelming enemy, you need more than just weapons. You'll play dirty to stay alive; feign dead to hide from enemy squads, pretend to surrender to approach them.

Some of the key gameplay elements include:
    • Hide in the shadows and blend in with victims, even pretend to surrender, giving you an edge in combat and helping you defeat the enemy by using your wits.
    • Use your own and stolen weapons to set up traps and triggers. Create your strategy, implement it and take out the remaining few enemies while they are disorganized.
    • Perceive the enemy chain of command and see real-world tactics and team dynamics that you can affect by targeting the right man at the right time.
    • Identify the distinctive personality of each individual enemy, defining his behavior in combat.

The game is still in development and all footage on display is pre-alpha. Currently the environments are getting close to being finished, but there's still a lot of fine tuning left to be done. Implementation of gameplay is the current priority in the development. Here's our latest gameplay footage, showcasing the use of traps!

We'll post the rest of the gameplay footage, but you can also find them through the links below:

Steam Greenlight
    Apex Games homepage
    YouTube channel
    Facebook page
    IndieDB

Here are some screenshots, you can find more on our Facebook page and IndieDB.

[shot]http://media.indiedb.com/images/games/1/29/28027/2013-08-07_09-49-46-71-Still001.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://media.indiedb.com/images/games/1/29/28027/2013-12-10-10-50-03-10-Still003.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://media.indiedb.com/images/games/1/29/28027/2013-10-18_13-22-16-73-Still001.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://media.indiedb.com/images/games/1/29/28027/2013-12-10-10-50-03-10-Still002.jpg[/shot]

What do you think about what's been done so far? All comments and feedback are extremely welcome, we appreciate every bit of input we can get from the community We're also setting up a development blog for more detailed information on where we're at on the development and how things are progressing, I'll post the link once it's up. If you have any questions about the project, fire away!

I'm going to provide some honest feedback, separated into categories to make thing easier: =D

Visuals

The visuals are okay, but far from spectacular. The lighting appears flat, and many scenes look a little grey and uninteresting. Some however, like the first and third image, look much better, and have a lot more colour to them. Try working a lot more with the lighting and shadows to improve them - maybe you could experiment with lens flares too. =)

Gameplay

Hide in the shadows and blend in with victims, even pretend to surrender, giving you an edge in combat and helping you defeat the enemy by using your wits.
    Use your own and stolen weapons to set up traps and triggers. Create your strategy, implement it and take out the remaining few enemies while they are disorganized.
    Perceive the enemy chain of command and see real-world tactics and team dynamics that you can affect by targeting the right man at the right time.
    Identify the distinctive personality of each individual enemy, defining his behavior in combat.
    This sounds really cool! You said implementing gameplay was a priority, so I assume many of the features you want to include aren't yet here or are unpolished. Keep going with them! =D

Animation

If there is one thing that needs improving right now it's the animation, especially player animations. They are far too stiff and jerky. Really focus on them, or the gameplay will inevitably be affected.

Be sure to post your progress and I hope my feedback was useful to you! =D

Comment

Actually looks beautiful at the moment; keep it up.

When the game is released; if its being released, will it have a price or will it be free to play.

If its not going to be released as free to play, i would appreciate it if you could make a demo of it also, as i would love to give it a go before i in-fact buy it.

Thank you for showing us your work, keep it up my friend.

Comment

Cheers for the feedback, all we can get is appreciated!

The game will have a price tag on it, but nothing's set in stone yet. There should be a playable demo coming out once a stable-enough build that has everything we want in it is finished. We'll be posting more once we make progress

Comment

Looks quite good. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

Lähetetty minun GT-N7100 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Comment

On the first photo when you have the time you shoud realy fix the painted weights on that fingernail.Can you give a quick explanation on how did you make the attached video camera to the player in the beginingof the video?Looks cool!

Comment

Thanks udkA!

Indeed Majic, the fingernails are a bit glitchy in the said screenshot! Do you mean the trap UI by the video camera?

Comment

A quick update! We've been hard at work with the development! The geometry is about finished, but there are still some details to iron out. A lot of work is being put into the AI as well, as this is one of the key features of Demon Core; we want the AI to behave just the way we've imagined it to work.

Below you can find our latest video; our faithful assistant Mishka gives us the 101 on how the traps work and how you can use them to your advantage! Please note that the dummies do not represent the AI in any way, this is purely a demonstration. :P

I just uploaded a couple of new screenshots on IndieDB, displaying the environments and the inner parts of laboratory.

[SHOT]http://media.indiedb.com/images/games/1/29/28027/MainLab1.jpg[/SHOT]

[SHOT]http://media.indiedb.com/images/games/1/29/28027/TrainStation.jpg[/SHOT]

Keep the comments on coming, we appreciate every bit of feedback we can get!

Comment

Originally posted by aekson View Post
                  Thanks udkA!

Indeed Majic, the fingernails are a bit glitchy in the said screenshot! Do you mean the trap UI by the video camera?

Yes, i mean the trap UI by the video camera.In general is the camera that shows in a litle square thru scaleform?A litle explantion if its not a secret

Comment

This is awesome. One question though. How do you do the character portrait that pops up on screen when you get an incoming transmission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkpp

Comment

Working...
                    X