Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[WIP] Tropicana [Entry to Rekoil Level Design Competition]

More new screenshots at the bottom of the page

-----------------------old----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey all, just thought I'd share some screenshots of my latest project! The deadline is midnight tomorrow, so basically I am just looking for feedback on the visuals and overall feel of the level! Also, if anyone has any tips on optimizing maps with long site lines please share! I'm desperate to squeeze a little more performance out of it

I like what i see here , lighting is very nice , colours as well , the only thing that botters me is floating grass , small grass meshes could help but wouldn't help performance, also rocks in image 5 look like they are floating but still i like the scene very much.
    Also looks like some trees got some invisible faces on branches

Comment

I'm attempting to bump up the volume of grass quite significantly Hopefully that will improve it's look. I keep finding rocks all over the place, cheers for spotting it!

Comment

Nice work!
        I think you should tilt the trees a little, they are all straight right now, this doesn't looks natural.

Comment

Originally posted by dazvolt View Post
          Nice work!
          I think you should tilt the trees a little, they are all straight right now, this doesn't looks natural.
          Haha! Beat you to it! Great minds think alike

Comment

Hey, Is there anyone with a little technical Know-How that is able to explain what the most effective way to gain some performance would be in these areas? I tried cutting down on the number of static-meshes in the scene but my gains were negligible, is it due to too many complex shaders, long view distance, or some other complicated shenanigans I've never heard of before? Also, if anyone has any general optimisation tricks, they sure would come in handy right now

I wouldn't be too worried, because my Pc is about 3 years old, except I know that I can expect more of a performance drop when other players are involved in a game.

Comment

Some More Screenshots for ya'll!

Comment

Comment

If you are having bad performance , try making more LODs for your materials on rocks , trees in short distance .

Comment

Yeah, the performance problem is because the assets are poorly optimised.

Comment

Hey, thanks guys, I realised that was the issue a short while ago. Unfortunately I am unable to tamper with the offical Rekoil assets myself, at least, at the moment that is the case. I have already messaged the dev team to ask if I am allowed to alter existing content for the contest. So, fingers crossed.

At the moment I am just using a very harsh cull distance, which isn't ideal, but is better than nothing.

Comment

I don't think generating LOD is editing content If you are looking for pefrormance it is needed , even with culling it will still affect performance if there is no proper LOD.

Comment

I just mean it isn't possible for me to do so at this minute because all of the assets are locked off from any kind of editing unfortunately

Comment

So, I've pretty much got around all of my issues, and I'm currently doing a final lighting build. I have no idea how long it's going to take, but the deadline is in two hours! Here are some screenshots of a slightly earlier version

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X