Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combined 3D graphics with text-adventure - need testers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Combined 3D graphics with text-adventure - need testers!

I'm a big fan of the old text-adventure games and have been wondering about merging them with the 3D environments found in AAA FPS games.

I've made a simple demo of the kind of game I'm talking about. It's fully playable and solvable at the moment, and I have had a few testers go through to iron out some of the major bugs, but I'm really keen to get some more testers to try it and see what does/doesn't work.

The 3D environment is NOT mine - it was made by Tor Frick and is available for download at his website - http://www.torfrick.com/info/lab.html

The executable is 130mb - if you are able to test it please PM me and i'll send you a link to the most recent build (Windows only).

Here's a video of the gameplay - there is a small spoiler in it!

Here's a screenshot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ss01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	3253771

Would love to. Let me PM you now.

Comment

Ok, The game has progressed well and It's almost done. If anyone can help beta-test please message me and I'll give you the latest link (Windows, 130mb).

It's a complete game, and will take about 10-30 mins to complete. Perfect way to relax after a day at work

Comment

Originally posted by paco View Post
        I'm a big fan of the old text-adventure games and have been wondering about merging them with the 3D environments found in AAA FPS games.

I've made a simple demo of the kind of game I'm talking about. It's fully playable and solvable at the moment, and I have had a few testers go through to iron out some of the major bugs, but I'm really keen to get some more testers to try it and see what does/doesn't work.

The 3D environment is NOT mine - it was made by Tor Frick and is available for download at his website - http://www.torfrick.com/info/lab.html

The executable is 130mb - if you are able to test it please PM me and i'll send you a link to the most recent build (Windows only).

Here's a video of the gameplay - there is a small spoiler in it!
        Hi Paco. Your Demo looks very nice. I'm also huge fan of the old text-adventure games and enjoy reading books. It's my believe that most 3D story-driven games could benefit from a full-powered command line interface like those found in Text-based games either as a primary or secondary interface. However, I'm not certain that a Text-based Adventure can mutually benefit from 3D. One would essentially end up with a 3D Adventure game with only Commandline Interface.

I've pondered over a similar merger for a while, but, concluded that using full 3D would be counter-productive to the essence of text-adventure. In my opinion, Books and Text-based Games capitalize on the use of one's imagination. Full-powered graphics would minimize the need to imagine the visuals, which is a significant portion of immersion factor non-graphics have over graphics.

I'm not ruling out the use of graphics. I would deliberately limit the real-time 3D power to dynamically generate static imagery, sparsely used as a reference to spark the reader's imagination. Your research into finding that perfect compromise between graphics and text immersion is much needed. I commend you.

Comment

Working...
        X