Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDK Enviroment: The Ice bay.

Hello.

Earlier today i saw a peice of spartanx118's work, which evolved about making a RPG map.

I saw this and figured that i would like to make something similar, which is exactly what i decided to do.

It is not complete, and is currently still in progress but i would like to see what you think of it, and i would appreciate it if you were able to give me some feedback on whats currently good about it, and what else needs to be added in order to class it as a successful map.

Thank you, and please leave feedback on your opinion, and what else i should add/alter in order to make it better.

How did that car get there?

The grass is lush and green as though the day before was summer, then suddenly winter. I think I see flowering as well.

There's no snow on anything but the ground.

Here in Colorado, once it starts getting cold ponds, lakes, rivers all freeze up with a thick later of ice depending on the weather. None of this water is frozen.

Unclean on the perspective you're going for. All these shots are above/distance shots revealing a nasty water tile as well as noticeable blending. It would be best to maintain consistent camera angles for demonstrating your work as it was intended by design.

Really gotta tame that signature. It's ridiculous.

Comment

Will take your feedback into consideration when i release once again another version of this. So these are the key factors i need to change:

1. Grass texture

2. Snow on meshes such as trees.

3. Sort out blending/water.

4. Sort out my signature?

Comment

Has anyone else noticed anything that needs altering/changing other than what Max power has stated?

Comment

@MaxPower

Haven't really altered much of what you advised me to do, but have actually found a way to reduce the blending. Will be working on the meshes having snow soon, and will sort out the water plate.

-Added a lens flare. Would you say it improves on the original, or do you find the lens flare to be not improving the map whatsoever?

Lens flare image: http://i.imgur.com/Ehoo9k1.jpg

Comment

It's distracting, rendering in front of things instead of behind. Again, observe natural phenomenon. In cold temperatures, there's something called a Sun Dog that can occur http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog

Comment

Originally posted by Max Power View Post
              It's distracting, rendering in front of things instead of behind. Again, observe natural phenomenon. In cold temperatures, there's something called a Sun Dog that can occur http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog
              Cheers, could actually accomplish this using a particle effect.

Might just keep the map cold and gloomy rather than adding a sun, could also include it snowing if i figure a way in order to do this. Cheers for the advise.

Comment

Added snow also:

Think i need to alter the speed of it, due to the fact that it falls too slow.

Comment

Forgot this or would have posted it earlier, very fancy snow material from Ryan Smith http://youtu.be/otedqKHET1w

More simply, I'd make a vertex blend material for the tree bark (and other thing) to blend snow up fro the ground to create a more natural transition.

Comment

Forgot this or would have posted it earlier, very fancy snow material from Ryan Smith http://youtu.be/otedqKHET1w

More simply, I'd make a vertex blend material for the tree bark (and other thing) to blend snow up fro the ground to create a more natural transition.
                    Will watch that tutorial actually, cheers.

Something else that i'm also beginning to have an issue with is the speed within the editor. Due to the terrain, water and the snow, my editor is lagging like hell, getting rid of the snow also doesn't seem to alter the speed. Are you aware of any method that i can use in order to prevent my editor from lagging?

Comment

Do you use Layers? I always break everything up (depending on level). This way, you can setup so that only what you're working on is rendering. For example, a layer of all particles you can hide as they can add a lot of draws to the scene. I'm sure having that water going causes a bit hit. Hiding the skybox/distance objects helps.

Deactivating the "Real-Time" button (ctrl R) helps with general performance.

Though you never know, one time someone asked for fixes, sent his scene and even though everything LOOKED fine, on close inspection every single thing was built improperly for game dev.

Comment

Do you use Layers? I always break everything up (depending on level). This way, you can setup so that only what you're working on is rendering. For example, a layer of all particles you can hide as they can add a lot of draws to the scene. I'm sure having that water going causes a bit hit. Hiding the skybox/distance objects helps.

Deactivating the "Real-Time" button (ctrl R) helps with general performance.

Though you never know, one time someone asked for fixes, sent his scene and even though everything LOOKED fine, on close inspection every single thing was built improperly for game dev.
                        Cheers. Setup a few layers, and also deactivated real time and it seems to be running slightly smoother, cheers for the advise once again, i appreciate it.

Comment

You might consider working on the snow to rock transition - now it's looks ultra soft and airbrushy?

Comment

Oh and play SkyRim. Head North young man!
                            They have some of the best frozen environments.

Comment

Working...
                            X