Advanced Water Shader WIP (Video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advanced Water Shader WIP (Video)

I've been working on a water shader which currently has the below features and only around 87 instructions
    • Tessellated Waves/Ripples
    • Wave Bias Real-Time Blurred and Distorted Reflection
    • Wave Bias Shimmer
    • Wave Bias Refraction
    • Wave Bias Fresnel
    • Wave Bias Specular

In the final version i plan on adding the following features as well
    • Sub-Surface Scattering
    • Dynamic Physics (ripples, waves etc.)
    • Shoreline 'Froth' effect

Here is a quick video clip of the shader in action

*Make sure to watch in HD for best quality*

This is amazing work. Very impressive! I love the way you make the reflections in the water look like they ripple and dip. The lighting is also very well done. Keep it up!

Comment

Thanks Mooror, here is the video of the latest version which i added the below features to
      • Froth and Bubbles when the water touches an object (Shoreline)
      • Depth Bias Reflection and Specularity Intensity (The opacity of the reflection and specularity changes depending on how close the geometry is to the surface of the bottom of the water, you will notice that the water seams more reflective now that there is a shallow terrain under it)

Comment

This could look better if the sparkly reflection was tiled more and a little smaller. Nice job on the waves. Is that DX11 or just a highly tessellated mesh?

Comment

The scale looks off because the terrain i made is small, only about 4096x4096, they arent supposed to be full sized islands The terrain is made using a single plain tessellated with DX11 as is the water

I had also added Sub Surface Scattering but it didn't make enough difference in the visual effect to justify, i'm using Fresnel instead and achieving almost the exact same look with much less render cost

Right now the reflection is using a render 2 texture but i want ti replace it with the screen space Fresnel method but i can't figure it out and couldn't find any source materials for it, any help would be greatly appreciated and i will share the final shader file once it's done

This is the materials i'm talking about - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRVLWIMOPlo

Originally posted by TheAgent View Post
          This could look better if the sparkly reflection was tiled more and a little smaller. Nice job on the waves. Is that DX11 or just a highly tessellated mesh?

Comment

I tried to figure it out as well, but came up with nothing as well. If you figure it out, that would be great. I havent had time to experiment much with materials lately.

Comment

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/638355-...ctions-issues/

The technique used here might get you some reasonable screen space reflections using the scene texture. For a noisy water surface, it may well be ideal, but viable camera angles would probably be limited.

Comment

Thanks Ambershee, i'll check it out

I'm able to get scene space to render in the fresnel space but it shows up as a cube and relative to the view angle not the surface of the object

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                http://www.gamedev.net/topic/638355-...ctions-issues/

The technique used here might get you some reasonable screen space reflections using the scene texture. For a noisy water surface, it may well be ideal, but viable camera angles would probably be limited.

Comment

Looks very good keeps getting better and better. Keep it up Charleston. And remember to not loose hope, I find that working in Udk is some times very time consuming and difficult but keep on persevering.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, i won't give up, once i figure out the scene texture problem it should be complete

I also got froth working at the highest parts of the waves and i changed the method for rendering shoreline, it now uses pixel depth instead of depth bias alpha so it renders the same at all view angles

Originally posted by mooror View Post
                    Looks very good keeps getting better and better. Keep it up Charleston. And remember to not loose hope, I find that working in Udk is some times very time consuming and difficult but keep on persevering.

Comment

Working...
                    X