No announcement yet.

Eye of the Abyss - WIP#1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, did you test your gamepad controls with a PS3 controller? With that MotionInJoy program which allows to connect the PS3 controller (Dual shock 3 too, with all functions), you know. This program allows you to choose what type of controller you can use, and I have kept with my PS3 controller working as an XBox controller since the beginning of my production. It works perfectly with UDK, including the sensitive control in analog sticks to smooth or hard character movement (walking if you flick the left analog stick and running with a strong press).

For the MoCap, what is the capture program you are using? An Ipi, Brekel or some in-house program to capture the movements?

Comment

No I haven't tested the PS3 controller. I'd like to but I don't have one. Put it on the "one day" list for now. Right now walking and such is a yes or no operation, no different movement speed. Basic functions all around for now, but I really want to include slower walks for softer pushes. Again, later when everything else is up to scratch.

The MoCap software used at my Uni is Motive. I do the rest of the animation work in Motion Builder and Maya.

Comment

Wow, Motive is a very expensive software! In my university time, other students played around with Brekel (free at that time).
        I like a lot MoBu!

Comment

Wow, that looks awesome, I need to get myself a Kinect now.
          I'm also backing this on Kickstarter because it looks like an awesome and compact MoCap that can also be used as a control device. I reckon that with an Oculus could make for some incredibly immersive games. If done right.

Comment

This Kickstarter project is impressive. It's a pity they won't reach the goal, because the whole idea is awesome.

I reckon that with an Oculus could make for some incredibly immerse games. If done right.
            You're right! Hehe, I think the most hard part of doing a game is do it right, even if it is a pixel game... the hardest part is balancing and polishing the things (I'm suffering with that here before create my thread. This and the part of how I can upload about a mystery game without spoilers).

Comment

Originally posted by AmyP View Post
              It's a pity they won't reach the goal, because the whole idea is awesome.
              It's been 200% funded. It is all kinds of happening.

Comment

Still no MoCap this week, but I'm going to make manual animation rigs incase I don't get to MoCap at all, which would be a real bummer, but not the end of the world.

In more uplifting news, this week was spent looking a bit more at the academic paper I have to write and also tidying up a few little things here and there. Learning that the UDK has a spline deformer let me have the evil tree actually grab the Swordless Sibling, so now the open cutscene is a bit less confusing.

Additionally, I spent a whole day getting the XBox controller working with the dialogue system. This was my first time working with an XBox controller in code and as such took a lot longer than it probably could have, with the old writing code, testing, breaking, new code, test, works a bit better, try to fix bad parts, it all falls apart, try again, turns out I've just manually written an existing function, the usual. BUT it works now, and quite neatly too.

This weekend I'll play the game through four or more times, once with a keyboard and mouse and once with the controller for each sibling, and I'll take heavy note of any and all problems/unfinished sections so I can start targeting it all methodically.

With time ticking by I can now really feel certain parts of my anatomy clenching. Mostly my jaw.

Stay tuned!

Changelog for those who care:
                (09/09/2014)
                -Brother Emotes when meeting ESnow.

(11/09/2014)
                -There is now a thing actually coming from the tree to attack the swordless siblings. Currently tree model as placeholder.

(12/09/2014)
                -XBox controller now works in dialogue system. That was fun.
                -XBox controls changed:
                -A is now attack
                -Right Trigger is Sprint
                -B is block

TO DO:
                -CUTSCENES (so ******* repetetive)
                -FINAL FONTS (Emma?) -
                -Dialogue background textures (Emma?)
                -Polish all dem animations.
                -filler anim for forests
                -brother gets shield anim

Comment

With time ticking by I can now really feel certain parts of my anatomy clenching. Mostly my jaw.
                  Man, that clock ticking gets me anxious O_o.

In your update: "Polish all dem animations". As you don't have MoCap studio access for now, it is a good move to polish what you have.

Comment

Pretty much how its going with MoCap down. Polishing and tweaking everywhere. Growing to do lists and all. I've decided I'm gonna release a new version this friday, MoCap or no.

Comment

Version 0.2.7 Release!

That's right! Version 0.2.7 is fresh out of the frontend and ready to play!
                      Grab it here! (544.7MB)
                      Additionally, there is an updated survey for the game! If you play it, please give all the feedback you can, while reporting any bugs here.

Not all cutscenes are fully cleaned, and no music or sounds are final. These will come round shortly.

While this version doesn't have the final cutscene in it*(on account of the motion capture studio still being out of commission) it is nonetheless an extremely polished and cleaned version, compared to past versions.

A known bug that has reared its ugly head recently: sometimes when the player takes damage from enemies they (the player) will start slowly drifting sideways and will be unable to attack. This can be fixed by pausing and unpausing.

I began experimenting with some particle effects to accompany enemies spawning and dying. Spawning works fine, there are some scale issues with the death particles. This is yet to be fixed.

And that is all for this week. Check again same time same place next week for more exciting updates on my descent into madness.

This weeks changelog here:
                      (15/09/2014)
                      -Dark forest now has better combat instructions.
                      -Xbox Controls tweaked again
                      -Target and toggle switched L and R
                      -Sprint is now X
                      -Attack is now A and Right Trigger
                      -Block is now B and Left Trigger
                      -Use is now Y (only used in debug map)
                      -sister stealing tentacle hidden from cutscene now
                      -Sword has light in intro cutscene

(16/09/2014)
                      -Sister map now has second wave of enemies and tree thingies to stop you running.
                      -Blobs now activate an event, could come in handy.
                      -New HUD kismet thingys, which I thought I'd need, but dont, but im keeping them around anyway.

(17/09/2014)
                      -Brother map also has second wave of enemies and trap thingies
                      -Both dark forests have battle music, very placeholder, but works.
                      -Dark hall is now longer, no more back wall.

(18/09/2014)
                      -Brother and Sister throne rooms have no more floating items and sword light in cutscenes
                      -Sword now goes swish, swish swish swish.
                      -New, eeeire music in opening scenes
                      -spawn particles for blobs, yay!
                      -death particles for blobs...not so yay

(19/09/2014)
                      -Restart option added to all pause menus...again?
                      -There is now a hit sound when player is knockedback by Snow White

TO DO:
                      -FINAL FONTS (Emma?) -
                      -filler anim for forests

Comment

Good news! MoCap is go for tomorrow!

I decided to go over to the studio to manually see if it was working and it was! So I’ve booked and prepared for my final MoCap session tomrorow which will be the final asset gathering for one more week of animation work, which, once in will usher in the final steps towards submission! This is a vast weight off my mind.

As for what progress has been made this week: not much re: Eye of the Abyss.

I compiled a bunch of very small things in need of fixing into a list and just started banging away at them, so my to-do list has grown significantly. Additionally, I have made the map in which the final cutscene will take place, so that’s out of the way and ready to receive the MoCap goodness.

Aside from that I’ve done more readings and pushed forward on my essay, which I’ve being avoid extremely effectively till now.

With that said and done, here is a changlog, see you all next week!

(22/09/2014)
                        -Brother now emotes in sword drawing cutscene
                        -sister isnt holding the shield like an idiot anymore
                        -extremely placeholer dialogue textures in place
                        -both siblings are actually holding the sword properly when drawing it

(26/09/2014)
                        -Final maps for end cutscene created.

TO DO:
                        -FINAL FONTS (Emma?) –
                        -filler anim for forests (walking, cowering)
                        —-
                        -First person eye height
                        -cutscene sword fight
                        -reflection issues
                        -settings menu, not looking good.
                        -more menu design
                        -tree portal!
                        -cutscene lighting

Comment

Yeah! Mocap is back ^^
                          Man, I'll pest some friend to lend me his PC, and then I'll be able to play EotA demo once for all. I want to test it!

Comment

Originally posted by AmyP View Post
                            Man, I'll pest some friend to lend me his PC, and then I'll be able to play EotA demo once for all. I want to test it!
                            I wouldn't bother with the last build, it is crash.

Comment

MoCap, Mo Work, Mo Everything

The mo the merrier. Mo is the winter of our discontent.

October is here, and with it the deadline for Eye of the Abyss draws nigh. This past week has been productive and the project will well on course to completion by the set date.

A touch of work on the paper aside, I was entirely focused on getting the last remaining motion capture data into the game, and cleaning it as quickly as possible. To the end all of the animation captured has being cleaned and is ready for use. Over the weekend I will be putting it all into the game so that by next week I will have a final build ready for playtesting. After the playtesting I will have one additional week to fix anything that comes up in the playtest, implement finals sounds and music, finish a paper, make a trailer and webpage for teasing the masses and maybe throw some sleep in for good measure.

Its gonna be fun on the bun!

PS: It turns out the last published version of Eye of the Abyss is kaput, I forgot to update the DefaultEngine.ini after switching to a new Main Menu, so it all crashes on start. Disregard 0.2.7!

Changelog for those who like reading my ramblings.

(29/09/2014)
                              -Evil v Brother anim cleaned
                              -Evil v Sister anim cleaned
                              -Brother dark filler ready to clean
                              -Brother intro filler ready to clean
                              -Sister Dark intro ready to clean
                              -Sister intro filler ready to clean

(30/09/2014)
                              -Bro meet Pure Snow ready to clean
                              -Bro stab ESnow ready to clean
                              -ESnow stabbed ready to clean
                              -Yes MotionBuilder I'm very sorry I didn't name the femur correctly. PSnow and brother scene ready to clean.
                              -PSnow and Sis ready to clean
                              -Sis stab ESnow ready to clean
                              -Sis meet PSnow ready to clean

(01/10/2014)
                              -AHAHAH THE MONTH IS UPON US
                              -ESnow Stabbed cleaned, ready for import
                              -Brother stabs ESnow Cleaned, ready for import

(02/10/2014)
                              -Brother chats to PSnow cleaned

(03/10/2014)
                              -PSnow chats to Brother cleaned
                              -Sis stabs ESnow cleaned
                              -Sis meets PSnow cleaned
                              -PSnow chats to Sis cleaned

TO DO:
                              -FINAL FONTS (Emma?) -
                              ----
                              -First person eye height
                              -cutscene sword fight
                              -reflection issues
                              -more menu design
                              -tree portal!
                              -cutscene lighting

Comment

Version 0.2.8 Release

0.2.8 is out and ready for the masses to play with! This version contains full cutscenes, beautifully designed dialogue and pause menus (the work of the lovely Emma Smith, who also created the above logo) and is a whopping 6.5MB in size.

Grab it here!

This marks the whole game reaching a baseline of completion. It has some bugs here and there (pending testing) but is otherwise complete. All the pieces are in place. You can play the whole thing through and see all the scenes and return to the beginning again.

This week saw a lot of work done in preparation for the alpha test tomorrow, and the handing in of my final assessment in SEVEN DAYS.

I am actually feeling pretty good about the whole thing now, as everything has finally come together beautifully, almost like I had a plan or something.

You’ll notice in the changelog below that the to-do list has grown considerably. As the game has gotten closer and closer to the final build, the margin of “acceptable” has shrunk. That said the cut off for work is fast approaching, and most if not all of the listed issues will only be worked on after submission. At that point this won’t be an assessment, it will be a side project (or if I magically make monies it will be my gainful work?).

Here are some pics of the new menus followed by the changelog:

[Shot]http://www.nicholas-ferrar.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/2014-10-10_00001.png[/Shot]
                                [Shot]http://www.nicholas-ferrar.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/2014-10-10_00003.png[/Shot]

Chagelog:
                                (04/10/2014)
                                -Sis intro filler cleaned
                                -Sis dark intro filler cleaned
                                -bro intro filler cleaned
                                -bro dark intro filler cleaned (thats all of them folks!)
                                -All of those things imported into UDK and confirmed working.

(05/10/2014)
                                -Bro stabs ESnow cutscene added.
                                -Sis stabs ESnow cutscene added
                                -Sis meets PSnow Cutscene done. sister arc baseline complete!

TD0.2.8(06/10/2014)
                                -Bro meets PSnow cutscene done. Brother arc baseline complete!

(07/10/2014)
                                -New placeholder dialogue textures in
                                -Dialogue defaults changed to ease implementation.
                                -New magic ball mesh, now with particles
                                -ESnow now holds the magic ball when preppering her spell
                                -Fixed a new bug (credit to Emma the game breaker) where you could play tennis with the wall and crash the game.
                                -Unrelated, but added invisible walls to throne rooms to stop people (Emma) jumping behind the pillars with ESnows knockback attack.

(09/10/14)
                                -Evil dude animation replaced with newer in both forest scenes (full game baseline reached, pending menus and music)
                                -New dialogue menus in place, so pretty (THANKS EMMA)
                                -New pause menu in place (THANKS EMMA)
                                -Pause logic changed, now cannot pause and **** around when in a cutscene (THANKS INTERNET)
                                -Temp endscreen added (THANKS ME)

TO DO:
                                -FINAL FONTS (Emma?) –
                                ==============FOOTSTEPS
                                —-
                                -First person eye height
                                -cutscene sword fight
                                -reflection issues
                                -more menu design
                                -tree portal!
                                -cutscene lighting
                                —-
                                Brothers eyebrows are broken (Day forest)
                                His mouth is also too slow (day forest)
                                Sword fight is terrible (Day forest)
                                Sword Drawing looks terrible (Day forest)
                                The tree doesnt eat right (day forest)
                                “Where is my brother?!” has no lip movement (day forest)
                                Particles when Evil spreads (day forest)
                                Leaf Alphas
                                Stop Sis Swinging Early at ESnow (Sis throne)
                                Sis stab misses (Sis Throne)
                                sounds for ESNow Kill (throne)
                                Sis Shield Upside Down in lockon idle
                                Stop PSnow Mouth movign when helping Sis up (Sis trail)
                                Elbows through all the shields (everywhere)

Comment

Working...
                                X