Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    the game it's realy inmersive !

I'd love to know how did you do that ledge climging system , looks sick ! : )

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Looks very good so far, my only critiques are: the animations look a bit stiff, i'd love to see IK for the foot placement and the shadows on the moving blocks are too intense and cast too far

Leave a comment:

• replied
    is this project still alive ??

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Machinima View Post
    Wow very impressive!
    Did you use the generic skeleton / bones for the standard characters that is provided in UDK or do you have to create your own customized skeleton / bones for your Lara skeletal mesh?
    The mesh and animations was done by Andrew, it is customized.
    I also had to do some new animation nodes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wow very impressive!
    Did you use the generic skeleton / bones for the standard characters that is provided in UDK or do you have to create your own customized skeleton / bones for your Lara skeletal mesh?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wow very nice

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Great job! You could mistake it for the real one

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Never saw this one. Thanks A LOT ! Very useful.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by edx76 View Post
    I've never seen any tutorial about grabbing and releasing edges for a character and I have no idea how it could be implemented.
    Could you point me towards a link or tell me something about the scripting workflow?
    See this: http://www.phillipguerrero.com/tutorials.html

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by edx76 View Post
    Great work ! I love adventure games and Lara Croft adventures. I've never seen any tutorial about grabbing and releasing edges for a character and I have no idea how it could be implemented.
    Could you point me towards a link or tell me something about the scripting workflow?
    Hi,
    well if you follow some basic logic steps you can program almost anything! Let's think a little about what we are trying to accomplish:

We want a character to grab into a ledge and be able to move around in it.

Sounds like a solid and simple enough concept, so now we need to teach a computer to do that. Remember that computers have a very basic understanding of the world, for example, they are not able to know what "right" or "left" is. So we need to munch as much as possible to them.

First, what is a ledge?

"a narrow flat surface or shelf; especially : one that projects from a wall of rock"

Here we have a complex definition for a computer to understand, but since our game don't care about all kinds of ledges, only the climbable ones, so we can try two approaches:
    - Automatic ledge detection
    - Manual climbing placement

The automatic detection implies a set of rules by which the computer can detect what is a climbable ledge and what is not, it uses more processing power and must be crafty made to balance as much fine detection as possible without running too many times and lagging the game.
    The manual placement implies you will directly tell the game where the player can climb, this assumes nothing is climbable unless told so and the processing power necessary is negligible.

If using automatic detection you will probably use something like traces, and check whenever your character is in a position that he can climb (maybe when he is holding a button or falling from a jump?), maybe you want only ledges with vertical space upwards and downwards bigger than X, maybe it needs to be Y deep to be climbable, etc.

When using a manual climbing you can use something like the UDKForcedDirectionVolume, position at the ledge's in which way you think better. You will need to save in code at the start of the map the center of the ledge and the maximum distance you can travel to each side.

From that you get minor logic, like give the character a physics where he is not affected by gravity, create a new movement that depends of the ledge's axis, limit horizontal movement so the player don't go away from the ledge, etc.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Great work ! I love adventure games and Lara Croft adventures. I've never seen any tutorial about grabbing and releasing edges for a character and I have no idea how it could be implemented.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Tomb Raider Demonstration

Tomb Raider Demonstration

A quick adventure game demo featuring Lara Croft and common mechanics from the series.

I did it some years ago when I worked with Andre in his project, just remembered to upload the video.

Spoiler
Working...
X