FTC's Scribbles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Those snow storm effects look really good. I love the way they change and get stronger or weaker - good job. =)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi,

sorry for this reeaaally late answer, but I only check this thread when I got something new or there is an answer notification and it seems I did not get one.
    @evernewjoy: Maybe you already saw it, but here is a tutorial about special cascade modules to get particles spawning from a mesh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JEXDd5ytYk I got the flames from GenericFoliage01.Ruins.FX.P_UDK_PillarFire01 but I modified them a bit to fit the character.

Now for something new:

This one is also mostly done by modifying udk assets, except for the snow texture which is from a free stock photo page, you can find a link in the video description.

greetings

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by FTC View Post
    Hi,

Following up the cloud technique I had an idea to set my Tahu pawn on fire. He is the Toa of fire after all.

So this would be like the rage/overcharge effect if Tahu were to become a character in an Action/Spectacle Fighter game. Apart from the Pawn Mesh, everything was created by using UDK assets and modifying them. I also wrote a couple of lines of code to make the effect toggleable.
    I think I will create a quicktip covering how to use the specific cascade modules for the effect.

greetings

I absolutely love this effect!

Any tips on what I need to know on top of the tutorial you posted on clouds?

And may I ask what UDK fire asset(s) you are using?

I really want to make something like this in my game

Rama

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi,

just wanted to post my "tutorial" for the volumetric clouds:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO2hojkv1fc
    I figured it would not need an extra thread so I posted it here.

greetings

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just found this thread. Some great stuff here, especially liked the flame and original shield effect!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's mostly AAA because the assets are from UDK, but thanks
    Actually I would have liked it better with the flames rotating with the actor's speed, but unfortunatly UDK does allow for such low level per particle controls.

greetings

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by FTC View Post
    Hi,

Following up the cloud technique I had an idea to set my Tahu pawn on fire. He is the Toa of fire after all.

So this would be like the rage/overcharge effect if Tahu were to become a character in an Action/Spectacle Fighter game. Apart from the Pawn Mesh, everything was created by using UDK assets and modifying them. I also wrote a couple of lines of code to make the effect toggleable.
    I think I will create a quicktip covering how to use the specific cascade modules for the effect.

greetings
    now THAT is awesome FTC !

That's AAA / 4A quality appearance for that spell effect / special power right there!

Awesome!

You're well into the land of surpassing the AAA budget companies

Rama

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi,

greetings

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi,

one (last?) update for the clouds:

I implemented level of detail for the cloud emitter and tested how many I could place until it impacted performace. Turned out to be over 150. Runs at about 120 frames per second, down to 80 on occasions. Of course this cannot be used with a lot of other things in the map, but the performace is good enough for 10 to 20 clouds without a huge hit.

greetings

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I basically took 6 textures and projected them around the particle system's bounds. Then I use an approach like the World-Aligned-Texture to convert a pixel's world position into uv coordinates on the faces of the cube. I take the six colors an blend them depending on the pixels distance to each side.
    The clouds do not react to sunlight at all, yet.

greetings

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yep, I get what you mean. I use a [similar approach] but it's much more simplified because I don't ever need to fly through the clouds. each cloud is 10-15 particles each IIRC.
    I'm curious about your "cubemap-like setup to fake volumetric textures by blending between them depending on the particles position" though, and more importantly, how your clouds react to the sun light direction

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks,
    sure it can't stay that way for more clouds, at the moment every cloud uses 200 particles, I can crank it down to 100 without any major changes to the overall look. I am currently experimenting with level of detail. The general prinicple is: the fewer particles the bigger each one gets. So far it is working pretty good and I am able to sustain a reasonable illusion with about 20 particles per cloud on the lowest level.

greetings

Leave a comment:

• replied
    00:32 - perfect, great soft vanilla look.

while they do look great, I wonder how a sky with lots of clouds like that would perform. you'd probably need your clouds to use less sprites

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi,

I have been experimenting with particles to create a cloud effect. Turned out pretty decent. I use a cubemap-like setup to fake volumetric textures by blending between them depending on the particles position.

greetings

Leave a comment:

• replied
    looks great!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X