No announcement yet.

No project, just learning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you have a scene full of characters and gameplay, the nightmare begins. In a relatively simple scene you won't notice a big of a hit. So it's not a question of possibility, it's a question of feasibility. If UE3 had no problem at all with day/night cycles, you wouldn't find plugins like Enlighten make any sense integrating with Unreal.

Comment

Right, UDK3 is obsolete compared with modern engines, but its possible to do things... I have a scene with 100 bots fighting at same time, with swords, with guns... modular paws with 15000-20000 tris, in a landscape with several stream levels, with physics, etc. All runs at 30 fps or more on my medium/high PC (only for tests and learning, is not a game). With 7 or 8 bots, with foliage, runs over 90 fps.

Another test with 1000 bots in the landscape (not visible at the same time, of course), sleeping and with no impact in performance.

I think that it is not bad at all. Probably not enought to do an Skyrim, but ...

Comment

They probably enhanced the performance some. When I tested that long time ago, it was really crappy. This is actually good to know, I'm working for a studio now on an RTS game, I was having concerns with the engine's appetite to spawn many structures and have them dynamically lit. You now gave me some relief.

Comment

I don't know of other engines, so I can't compare. But if I have many problems to handle the foliage, the grass are complicated, I can't use foliage tool for that, when I have a small portion of the map covered, UDK crashes or is very slow.

Watching other engines above I see no problem in placing thousands of things on the map, manage streaming much better, more progressive, more quickly.

I think UDK is not intended for such maps type. But ... you can do things playing with these limitations.

Comment

Working the last days on the vehicles, this is the horse:

Handmade animations using this reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INQx-Lzs8mU

Comment

dude you are a beast- hurry up and go get a job at Ubisoft or something. Those guys use a lot of Unreal Engine, you would fit in well I would think. Hell, try applying at Epic Games since you know so much on this engine.

Playing around like you're doing is fun, but getting paid to do it is much funner

Comment

Can you talk to Spark Unlimited about me ?

Seriously, I have a good job here, and a mortgage for 30 years ... I am a bank slave ...
                And in Spain now is very dificult to find another job.

I would like to work on this, but would have to be with a good salary and stability.

And anyway I'm still a little newie in this, there are people here who know much more about Unreal than me.

Comment

Unfortunately, the games industry is the last place you want to go to if you want stability. This industry is about as stable as Charlie Sheen at an AA meeting.

If you have a good job with stability somewhere- keep it! The economy is a mess everywhere, including here in the US. I would recommend working on your own game on the side for a while and then doing a kickstarter for it or approaching some VC's when you have a good proof of concept ready to show.

And your work is awesome!

Comment

Thats the idea. Learn, think in a project and looking for people who can help me with the graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by CobaltUDK View Post
                      Thats the idea. Learn, think in a project and looking for people who can help me with the graphics.
                      Just in case you may not have noticed, I sent you a private message regarding a paid opportunity if you are interested. Either way, keep up the good work.

Comment

Awesome job with the horse.

Comment

Originally posted by SE_JonF View Post
                          Just in case you may not have noticed, I sent you a private message regarding a paid opportunity if you are interested. Either way, keep up the good work.
                          Hi, i,m traveling for a week, when return to tome i will reply.

Comment

Originally posted by CobaltUDK View Post
                            Hi, i,m traveling for a week, when return to tome i will reply.
                            Sounds good. See you then.

Comment

Here's the dragon:

Comment

Dude- I love seeing your work, you never know what you're going to do next. You are truly an Unreal Engine master- keep doing awesome stuff, I love this thread!

Comment

Working...
                                X