Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

No project, just learning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started with blueprints though they are very powerful I would rather program I guess it is the way I am wired. They have two C++ tutorials on UE4's web site that are very good if you can program in Unrealscript you will be able to program in C++ with UE4.

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/First_...2B%2B_Tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...uO7N2Pmmw9pvhE

I wish I would have known how close the C++ was to Unrealscript I would have stared on C++ for the start instead of Blueprints

Comment

Originally posted by CobaltUDK View Post
      Here is the video:

Man you make me realize that I have a long a lot to learn. Is there any chance you can do a tutorial on this customization system? If not I understand your work is impressive.

Comment

AmyP, Mass Effect only let customice faces, I think.
        Yep, only the face (and I really don't like Mass Effect aesthetic).

But the skeletal deformations have some problems, I have kill animations and interation with items such levers, and if the legs are long, the animations doesnt fit... so I dont know if it'll keep that in the final game.
        It seems to be a hard time coding to fit the animations because the customization. I really can't figure out anything helpful because your game has a high complexity. Is there any programming wizard reading this thread to know if it is possible in UDK?

Comment

I started with blueprints though they are very powerful I would rather program I guess it is the way I am wired. They have two C++ tutorials on UE4's web site that are very good if you can program in Unrealscript you will be able to program in C++ with UE4.
          Hey, LcSweeper! I haven't checked the C++ in U4 yet, but Did Epic keeps the functions and other names intact for library reference in C++ there? If yes it'd be amazing, so our time studying Unrealcript won't be a wasted time.
          And thanks about these links!

Comment

Man you make me realize that I have a long a lot to learn. Is there any chance you can do a tutorial on this customization system? If not I understand your work is impressive.
            It's just learn about some specific engine components.

1 - Anim tree, since you control from there the morph targets
            2 - Morph targets
            3 - Material instance constant acces it from code
            4 - How to change mesh in runtime
            5 - Modular pawn

That's all you need.

Comment

Some map progress:

Click image for larger version

Name:	BP_01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	3250903

Comment

I liked the contrast between the character and the level/background .

Just chatting, But did you have the chance of checking some cool stuff about environment art from game developers conference? I found one very good: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020135...Design-Teaches . I know it's for interior design, but some rules can be interesting for exterior as well (as that color proportion with 60-30-10 percent). I was struggling with some environment art for my project and I found it in one of my researches.

Comment

Thank you, what is 60-30-10, direct light, ambient light and other?

Comment

Originally posted by CobaltUDK View Post
                    Thank you, what is 60-30-10, direct light, ambient light and other?
                    It is about Color Scheme. Here it is one of the pages from this document talking about it: [IMG]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b383/AmeliaW/UDK/***_Dan_What_Modern_Interior-52_zpsc710c4bf.jpg~original[/IMG]

Very useful . This PDF from Game Developers conference is quite good.

Comment

This project it's placed in the ancient babylon times right ? It's looking that direction keep it up ! Can't wait to play it, if you ever want some one with a honest opinion about this game PM that ill try a beta.
                      Map it's looking babylonic hehe.
                      Is there going to be mage ?

Comment

Yes

Comment

The trees and plants in this video are dynamically generated around the player in a similar way as is done with the grass.

There are two rings, one near and dense 300 meters away and a less dense one at 2 Km from the player location.

The UDK foliage tool slows down the game too much when you try to covering a large map, and with this system the size of the map is irrelevant, because always there are a limited number of trees only around the player.

Density, foliage type, etc, can be configured by area using custom volumes.

The performance is worse than using the foliage tool with a few trees (because FT uses clusters reducing drawcalls), but its faster with a large number of trees, so its a good solution to fill big landscapes, in conjuction with a reduced use of Foliage tool for key places.

Comment

Do trees spawn in the same place when you come back at that place ?

Comment

No, it's random.

Comment

In the minute 2:51, the further trees were placed with foliage tool and the 2km near to the player everything gets dense with dynamic generation? Very clever, sir!

Comment

Working...
                                X