• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Moved to Initial Post.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Parkour racer is a great idea. I picture aladdin/prince of persia/indiana jones running from mob of guards or trap boulder/collapse. In a ruined tomb while dodging spike traps, pits and walls. Or in a middle east cityscape while dodging food stands, people and roof gaps. You could also add wall runs and jumping/swinging across poles. Just some ideas, hope they help.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I haven't worked too much on this idea, so it's pretty much a bunch of pieces of paper with most of the core gameplay written. So far, I was thinking calling this project 'Haste'. Actually, the basic premise was to have a character that is always running forward, and the Player can move it sideways, or jump , or vault or climb. Of course, vaulting and climbing means being precise and pressing the action button at the right time, or a hazard (lets call it the void) will catch you and you die. Simple recipe. Most elements are found in the newer Sonic games, also Mirror's edge, and the futuristic racing game Wipeout. The look would be stylized towards realism, with a dose of surrealism. Only 4 levels, two characters: the main one and one npc.
    By the way, I can see what you mention about perhaps using both hands for different controls, could add some interesting flavors.

Micro transactions could be added, but like I said before, as long as they are smartly added into the game design. Last night I was speculating, (and driving crazy my gf with all this lol) about how a small rpg game could have different types of gameplays that could be customized by the user, and also, the possibility of buying more content for the game based only on the type of gameplay the Player chooses. But for now this was merely a speculation

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by FraktalZero View Post
    Actually, leaving out the combat, only racing or technically, just parkour. The main idea being survival. The character is pursued by hazard so must reach end point.
    Why? well, it's a trial: Survival is freedom. I think overall look would be stylized, with a mix between ancient and perhaps sci-fi. I wanted to keep it as simple as I could so it can be easily managed by a very small team. The main idea so far being a character that must survive through 4 levels full or traps (spikes, wall spikes, etc). It's simply a matter of jumping or vaulting or even moving sideways at the right time. Power ups can slow time, or speed your character up, or even make you invincible for a very short lapse of time, of course, this carries consequences. Some small scripted sequences such as very long jumps, or hard falls could add up to the feeling of rush. Of course, this still a very basic idea so I'm up for improvements or even changes.

Micro-Transactions like let's say Dust 514 means that whoever pays gets the best items, therefore creates an unbalanced game experience for those that pay less. I'm not completely closed to the idea of using them, but to me, it should be in a more balanced game environment and in no way used as a form of ''cheat'' or shortcut.
    I have yet to play Mirror's Edge. I've only watched several Youtube play-throughs. A Trial? Survival? A mix between Ancient and perhaps Sci-fi? Ok, you have my attention, I'm really curious about the back-story here. Stylized: Cartoon Shading, BobbleHeads? In my mind's eye, I visualize a fast moving Rail Shooter in which the player uses one hand to execute timed manuevers (jumps, ducks, slides, vaults, wall runs, etc) and the other hand controls a reticule to target/select/use a weapons, tools, and other items in the level.

You mentioned Dust 514, is there a multiplayer mode? I've developed the TBEMS Micro-Transactions System over a course of 8 years and it supports micro-transaction implementations never seen before. It has a Token Mechanism and Cyber Coin alternative for real-cash transactions. TBEMS is my reason for not walking away from game development. For me, in-game purchases are optional, but, TBEMS inclusion is mandatory in the game's design.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Actually, leaving out the combat, only racing or technically, just parkour. The main idea being survival. The character is pursued by hazard so must reach end point.
    Why? well, it's a trial: Survival is freedom. I think overall look would be stylized, with a mix between ancient and perhaps sci-fi. I wanted to keep it as simple as I could so it can be easily managed by a very small team. The main idea so far being a character that must survive through 4 levels full or traps (spikes, wall spikes, etc). It's simply a matter of jumping or vaulting or even moving sideways at the right time. Power ups can slow time, or speed your character up, or even make you invincible for a very short lapse of time, of course, this carries consequences. Some small scripted sequences such as very long jumps, or hard falls could add up to the feeling of rush. Of course, this still a very basic idea so I'm up for improvements or even changes.

Micro-Transactions like let's say Dust 514 means that whoever pays gets the best items, therefore creates an unbalanced game experience for those that pay less. I'm not completely closed to the idea of using them, but to me, it should be in a more balanced game environment and in no way used as a form of ''cheat'' or shortcut.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I was thinking something along the lines of Wipeout 2097 mixed with Mirror's Edge. This mix gives us a nice fast paced FPS with a very linear path. You strip the control scheme to a basic, move left or right, jump, climb and vault, and make it so the character is always moving after the level begins. Add some traps, and some power ups and you get a nice fast paced arcade game with some hardcore dna injected into it. Of course, this is the idea I've been working on for a couple of weeks since I was trying to find a short and feasible solution.
    Also, I'm very fond of minimalistic storytelling
    Micro-transactions is something I'm still against it.
    Parkour Combat Racing Rail Shooter? Now that's thinking outside-the-box and I really like it! Any particular Working Title, Background Story, Theme, Art style in Mind? Lets discuss this one further.

Against Micro-transactions? Why?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I was thinking something along the lines of Wipeout 2097 mixed with Mirror's Edge. This mix gives us a nice fast paced FPS with a very linear path. You strip the control scheme to a basic, move left or right, jump, climb and vault, and make it so the character is always moving after the level begins. Add some traps, and some power ups and you get a nice fast paced arcade game with some hardcore dna injected into it. Of course, this is the idea I've been working on for a couple of weeks since I was trying to find a short and feasible solution.
    Also, I'm very fond of minimalistic storytelling
    Micro-transactions is something I'm still against it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I favor Rpgs and Fps games as well. Lately I worked on a small design idea similar to Mirror's Edge but with a more minimalistic approach. But I'm open to any kind of games as long as the design is smartly done. personally, I think that the easiest games to create for small teams are those that need little art but that can convey a lot. You can add me to skype: FraktalZero to continue the conversation.
    Cheers.
    It will be difficult to catch me live on Skype as I work really crazy hours. I will make efforts so we can communicate in real-time, in the interim, please PM me. You mentioned smartly designed games for small teams, well, my take on such an approach is to design/develop games with Arcade-style game play. More specifically Games that have simple and intuitive controls, small sets of game mechanics, simple scoring systems, and short levels that rapidly increase in difficulty. Games that play as if in a Arcade environment in which the player is essentially renting the game for as long a their in-game avatar can stay alive or until they run out of tokens.

I can see Arcade Style Game play in any type of game, its just a matter of reducing control complexity and breaking the levels/waves up into smaller chunks. For example: Super Ninja Pizza Delivery Dude is a hypothetical game that fuses Mirrors Edge + Crazy Taxi where the Player must pick up Hot Pizza Boxes an deliver them to customers residing in tall buildings before they get cold. The Player must use parkour skills, somersaults, etc to avoid obstacles and danger. The game is played in First Person and provides RPG Character-building Stats that player can tweak with bonus points to increase the skills and ability to deliver pizzas.

The innovations I would bring to Arcade-style game play is providing a customizable Avatar available for use in other Arcade Games (persistent), and tiered Tournaments driven by micro-transactions. The Consoles are inching their way in this direction with their Avatar and Achievements Systems. However, I want to push concept further and into the PC/Mobile game space. UDK could easily provide n-to-1 Arcade games with the way it handles multiple Game Types.

So, I'm going to level with you. I have an agenda. For over a decade, I've been developing a new breed of Arcade Game Prototypes in my secret games laboratory: Arcade Komodo. Arcade Komodo is my UE3 Powered (UDK) version of a Skill-based Arcade similar to this. It is also the development platform for a completely new genre of entertainment products. Unfortunately, I cannot relinquish too much detail at this time, but, riddle me this, what do you get when you take Arcade DNA, spliced to a Video Slot Machine RNG, produced in a UE3-Powered Incubator? (Answer at the bottom of the post)

Click to Download the INSECTOIDZ Proof of Concept(Requires DX7).
    U/P: guest/guest

Answer: onisaC semaG rof eht txeN noitareneG

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I favor Rpgs and Fps games as well. Lately I worked on a small design idea similar to Mirror's Edge but with a more minimalistic approach. But I'm open to any kind of games as long as the design is smartly done. personally, I think that the easiest games to create for small teams are those that need little art but that can convey a lot. You can add me to skype: FraktalZero to continue the conversation.
    Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm currently myself facing the same situation so I know how it feels when your project gets hit hard. It's been difficult to work in projects that don't end up falling apart. I'm as you know a 3D Artist, but also a Game Designer with documents to proofs a couple of concepts. So if you are up for something we could have a talk and discuss about it. Let me know
    Cheers
    I enjoy every genre and also have other game designs and proofs of concepts. Yes, I'm open for discussion to brainstorm design concepts, determine which we have in common, and which can be consolidated into a team project. I'll kick off the discussion, stating that up to this point I've been working on systems that are not natively built into UDK out-of-box, that any game can potentially use.

In fact, OverArc at its core, is an in-game editing system not a game. Its being designed and developed as module to be used in other games to support Player customization/creation. In my opinion, every game can benefit with some level of Player Customization/Creation with increased replay value, personal attachment, and immersion.

I also believe Games can also benefit from a WWW presence, persistence, and centralized asset repository which is all accomplished by the Master Server Complex/GSCP. I have the MSC/GSCP framework in place. These online features can support pseudo-MMO economies, social gaming, and out-of-UDK meta games. In my opinion, with an online persistence one's production becomes greater than just a game , it takes on a cyber life of its own.

Developing a GUI System was not in my original plan, however, I've developed several GUIs over the years and UDK has support for a homegrown solution. Once its in place, I'll have a powerful UI system written in UnrealScript that works seamlessly with the other game entities.

My design goals are applicable to any game. Although, I favor FPS and RPGs, I'm opened to developing any type of game, any genre, any theme, any art direction, that can use some form of:
    1. Player Customization
    2. Online Persistence
    3. UnrealScript GUI
    4. Microtransactions

What is your opinion on this? Lets discuss further.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm currently myself facing the same situation so I know how it feels when your project gets hit hard. It's been difficult to work in projects that don't end up falling apart. I'm as you know a 3D Artist, but also a Game Designer with documents to proofs a couple of concepts. So if you are up for something we could have a talk and discuss about it. Let me know
    Cheers

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nice progress!
    Thanks again FraktalZero. Unfortunately, I've taken a big hit to progress on this project. I'm certain you're not aware of this, but, I co-founded a local two-man team specifically to develop OverArc with UDK. Two days ago, I was abandoned by the other guy (who did absolutely nothing!). Til this point I've done all the work, setup up website, perforce server, game design and scripting, etc. I'm pretty bummed about it We had big plans for OverArc (or at least I thought) and I'm not going to halt development. I will proceed with my current plans, but my motivation has been damaged by this setback. The project is in its infancy, and the game plan has slightly changed, so, I'm seeking a UDK Team to collaborate with.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nice progress!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    why not fraps? the unregistered version captures video at 60fps along with audio, while it will stop capturing after 30 seconds (press capture button again then), and you only get a tiny watermark
    I took your advice. I've used Fraps in the past and elected to purchase a License this time around, considering FREE Lifetime updates. I present my First Development VLog showing off the DiegesisPI GUI Framework in development. The video shows off some basic functionality used in GUI: Input to Command Key-binding, Mouse Control, Device Interactivity, 2D Drawing, etc. It not pretty yet, so be warned.

My current efforts on the GUI system are split up between writing the 2D Theme Drawing functions and the Intercom Messaging classes that DiegesisDevices (Gadgets) use to send messages between each other.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    why not fraps? the unregistered version captures video at 60fps along with audio, while it will stop capturing after 30 seconds (press capture button again then), and you only get a tiny watermark

Leave a comment:

Working...
X