X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're going to do a first person view, you might as well do it right

True First Person Viewpoint

Comment

Actually guys, about the games story, there are games such as Minecraft and DayZ that have come out wuthout a story. Do you think that's a trend or an anomally?
      Their insane successful popularity, is definitely an anomaly in my opinion. They're different games. Different in genre, theme, execution, art-style, etc. The only thing in common is the open-world game-play format, or is it sandbox? I get confused with the buzzwords (added Diegetic to the list). I agree with FraktalZero on telling a story using the lore rather than an actual story. Perhaps you could achieve both using the lore to: 1) provide backstory for one or more main story arcs; 2) drive open-world mechanics in your game in which players can create their own story.

My Sci-fi Survival (currently backburnware) uses Open World.The Lore is simple: Aliens invaded earth, wiped out 90% of the human population over night, you and a few others survived. Your primary objective is to stay alive (and evolve your character). You need to find supplies/safezones to recharge to stay alive. Supplies/Safezones are spawn/dropped in different locations in the world. Players must traverse the environment to get to the Supplies/SafeZones. Aliens, allies, helpless survivors, treasures, traps, weapons, utilities are spawned between the player and the supplies. If you die in process, you lose everything (permanent death), hence, driving the need to stay alive. The players define their own story, by defining their own reasons behind the actions they take to stay alive.

Techlord, you are working on a fps as well? or something akin to Mirror's Edge? Just curious since I loved ME gameplay.
      I used ME as a reference to visualize Full-bodied Awareness. I would like to employ Full-body Awareness into OverArc, as I believe it will allow Role Players to truly immerse themselves into their character. The potential uses of Full-bodied First-Person has been barely tapped so, I'm not ruling out ME style maneuvers, swordplay, melee combat, and somersaults.

If you're going to do a first person view, you might as well do it right

True First Person Viewpoint
      I was viewing your site and examining the True First Person Demo. I'm a Blender Fan. The TFP Demo is very impressive and extremely generous of you. You definitely have some skills with UDK. My only concern with Full-body Awareness is the increased amount of work and polygon count to generate models with proper detail (resolution, animation, physics). For traditional FPS games, usually two models are constructed: a lower detail 3rd person, and higher detail 1st person model (usually only the Arm/Hand). With Full-body, I suspect this will require generating high detail 3rd person (full body, without head). Whats your take on this, slowJusko?

Comment

@TechLord: In the past, I would tend to agree - you would need to create a high detail 3rd person model for it to look good from the first person perspective. But nowadays, they're so high-poly anyway, its a moot point (IMHO). The TFP demo uses the 3rd person UDK models and looks pretty good

Modern FPS games often fake-it by including other parts of the body, at least for certain actions - such as Crysis, BF3 etc.

Your work load should be less in general, as you do not need to create first person versions of anything. It depends on the details you wish to include. Things like animated world interactions, complex movement actions etc.

Please excuse the slight derailing off topic.

Comment

Please excuse the slight derailing off topic.
          slowJusko, I truly appreciate your insight on this topic and its right on track with Kronicshem's Sci-Fi Survival First-Person Diegetic Interface. The TPS Demo looks very good and I can now imagine how this could actually be less work as I consolidate efforts into only producing full bodied, full detail models.

I've had the desire to create an Sci-Fi Apocalyptic Survival FPS for sometime with my first being The Arrowhead Project. In fact, if I had not initiated development for OverArc, I would have for my Sci-fi Survival FPS currently on the back-burner. One of several reasons, its on the backburner, is because at the time of conception I had a hard time creating compelling and unique Alien Apocalyptic Threat.

The Zombies and Aliens Themes have been abused in Games. I've been watching Long Nguyen's Daemonicon development, which presents Demons as the apocalyptic threat. Robots, Kaiju (Giant Monsters), Pestilence, Natural Disasters/Weather have had limited exposure in games. I can see a lot of opportunity for one or more of these as threat to survival in a Sci-Fiction story.

Comment

Originally posted by TechLord View Post
            The Zombies and Aliens Themes have been abused in Games. I've been watching Long Nguyen's Daemonicon development, which presents Demons as the apocalyptic threat. Robots, Kaiju (Giant Monsters), Pestilence, Natural Disasters/Weather have had limited exposure in games. I can see a lot of opportunity for one or more of these as threat to survival in a Sci-Fiction story.
            Actually, the Four Horsemen (War, Famine, Pestilence, and Death) have been staples in gaming, although in reference. It is thought provoking to think what the End Times would realistically look like and how one would go about living in it. You're right though, in a lot of books and movies the natural disaster antagonist is present, but for some reason this doesn't happen in video games.

Comment

Working...
            X