Insurgency - Survival Sci-Fi (concept)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurgency - Survival Sci-Fi (concept)

Hello everyone, My team and I have been passing this concept around for a bit and we were wondering if you think that the idea is fleshed out enough, that we need to go back and think it through more, or if there is a serious error in the concept.

Introduction
    Insurgency is a Survival Science fiction game in which the player engages in a Guerilla war after an invasion.

Game Analysis
    Genre:
    • Adventure
    • Puzzle
    • FPS (first-person shooter)

Game Elements:
    • Chase
    • Collecting
    • Combat
    • Dodging
    • Escape
    • Hiding
    • Jump
    • Luck
    • Obstacles
    • React
    • Resource Management
    • Shooting
    • Target
    • Timing

Game Content:
    • Action
    • Pure Play
    • Realism

Theme:
    • Sci-Fi
    • War
    • Survival

Style:
    • Realism

Player Immersion:
    • Tactical
    • Mental

Reference:
    • H.G. Wells “War of the Worlds”
    • Sun Tsu “The Art of War”

Game Play

Combat: The player will engage in hit and run style combat with an enemy force that is not only better armed and armored than himself. The player will rely of trap setting and knowledge of the area to initiate combat and the termination combat.

Non- combat: The player will spend a portion of the game salvaging items from the environment to craft into weapons and survival supplies. For example: If the player were to collect a .45 caliber frame, barrel, and slide; the player could craft a .45 caliber pistol. Even something as simple as a handful of nails can be fashioned into and explosive trap device. Other salvaging may include raiding a hospital for medical supplies or a restaurant for food.

In case you didn't know, Insurgency was (is?) a Half-Life2 mod and there is a sequel in the works - Insurgency 2 - using the Source engine.
    May want to think of a name change before you get to reliant on it.
    Just saying

Otherwise, this sounds like Falling Skies, assuming that invasion meant alien invasion.
    Not that that is a bad thing.

Comment

Slow, thanks for the reply. The name the team originally picked was StarSurgent, but that was scraped for feeling too corny. I did watch the trailer for Falling Skies, very close concept but, we were envisioning a more "grim-dark" atmosphere. The difference being as the Director of Falling Skies put is, the story takes place months after the attack when mankind is starting to rebuild, whereas our storyline would take place during the attack while the planet is still reeling from the attack.

Again, thank you, any kick in the teeth is well appreciated.

Comment

Hi Kronicshem,

The Apocalyptic Survival Game is shaping up nicely into its own genre. No matter the threat: Zombies, Aliens, Demons, Machines...there's something powerful about surviving insurmountable odds. Its speaks to the core of the Human Spirit. I enjoy both Apocalyptic Survival Movies (World of the Worlds 2005, Battle Los Angeles 2011, Dawn of the Dead 2004, The Mist 2007) and Games. Thus, I too have an Sci-Fi Apocalyptic Survival Game on the back-burner.

I personally don't see any issues with your concept. In regards to Guerrilla warfare, I would add Stealth Mechanics and Improvisation (weapon-making and trap-making) to the list. Realism is subjective in Science-Fiction. Giant Gummy Bears from space could easily wipe out 90% of the Earth's Human population with their GigaNullCalorie DeathRay. Its all about execution. As long the supplies are limited, and the threat is fearful, I'm certain you invoke the Survival instinct of your player base.

Comment

Thanks for the replay TechLord,

I suppose you are correct that for a survival title, it doesn't really matter what the big nasty is (a mob, is a mob, is a mob). I feel that being zerged by the endless horde of zombies has become rather cliche, and that the "behemoth" if you will (the really durable guy that hits like a truck) is reserved for bosses and mini-bosses. So we thought let mix it up and make a game filled with guys that you don't want to come to blows with.

A Stealth Mechanic would be something to add, afterall you can't set up an ambush if the other guy knows you're there. Improvisation would take a little work but I'm sure it could be don't, it would require that hundreds or thousands of different item combinations be pre-programmed.

I've already thought of one item that would be easy to weaponized for the game, simple household Saran Wrap, streched across a doorway and when the npc hits it, instant aggro wipe! The old prank turned weapon to troll a npc, the best example can be seen 13 seconds into this video.

Comment

Agreed, Zombies are abused. A Sci-fi Theme offers more flexibility in my opinion.

I think you could pull of Improvisation without requiring hundreds or thousands of different item combinations be pre-programmed. Don't combine items, combine their interactions. Sticky materials can connect objects together; Hard materials can be sharpen to blades; Heavy materials can thrown/swung to bludgeon; Flammable materials set on Fire; Water cancels Fire and conducts Electricity. Think Roshambo my friend.

I laughed too hard at the Saran Wrap Attack! That is a pretty mean thing to do people, but, funny as heck.

Comment

Just a tiny update, We've decided to go with a Diegetic ui.

Comment

Hi Kronichshem,

Just a tiny update, We've decided to go with a Diegetic ui.
                Could you share some details on how you intend to implement your Diegetic user interface? Taking a Diegetic approach is fairly broad and the possibilities are endless. There have been some really nice examples of implementing player-avatar user interface elements within the game world. I'm curious as to what innovations you have planned.

Comment

Well there's a couple of things, first, is what we're calling the bloody hand. The avatar wipes his hand across the camera and looks at his hand (as though wiping the blood from his head), when the hand is fully covered, the character is about to die. Another thing is there will be no reticle (except scopes), when firing "from the hip", the barrel of the gun will be used for targetting. Iron sights will be used. Ammunition can be found in the inventory. Later in the game the character will be able to see an outline of enemies through walls (This will be the character's senses adapting to the enemy). Thoughts of a radar, but no ideas as of yet on how to impliment it.

Comment

Well there's a couple of things, first, is what we're calling the bloody hand. The avatar wipes his hand across the camera and looks at his hand (as though wiping the blood from his head), when the hand is fully covered, the character is about to die. Another thing is there will be no reticle (except scopes), when firing "from the hip", the barrel of the gun will be used for targetting. Iron sights will be used. Ammunition can be found in the inventory. Later in the game the character will be able to see an outline of enemies through walls (This will be the character's senses adapting to the enemy). Thoughts of a radar, but no ideas as of yet on how to impliment it.
                    The Bloody Hand sounds disgustingly cool. Not so sure about the X-Ray vision or Radar though, could minimize the feeling of a constant threat/terror crucial in survival game. Perhaps stereoscopic audio could offer clues, for example the player could put their ear up to a door and hear one or more footsteps, their direction of travel. Perhaps the distinct sound can give clues as to friend or foe.

As a First-Person Shooter, will you utilize Full-body Awareness (ie: Mirror's Edge) ? I intend too. In my opinion, the technique offers more immersion in first-person and can potentially provide additional avatar body/limbs for diegetic interfaces.

Comment

First time I've heard that term (diegetic).
                      I was hoping to take a similar approach, conveying the status of the player avatar via audio ques, animations and decals.
                      ie. Breathing hard for low stamina.
                      Limping slightly for wounded legs.
                      Blood over hands and arms for low health.

Comment

First time I've heard that term (diegetic).
                        Me too. UDK sorta forces one's hand to devise a Diegetic User Interface as an alternative to Scaleform. I initially considered the lack of a native traditional UI in UDK a limitation, I now see this as an opportunity to develop unique non-traditional UI's with its input, collision, triggers, 3D models, particle effects, and audio emitters. The entire game world can be a user interface depending on your perspective. Diegetic User Interfaces here I come. Speaking of forcing one's hand, does anyone know where I can pickup a FREE/affordable priced Fully-Animated, Bare-skinned, Human Forearm+Hand ideal for First-Person?

PS: slowJusko, Ground Branch's NORG Natural Order of Realistic Gameplay approach sounds very intriguing. Can it be applied to a Science-Fiction setting?

Comment

Originally posted by TechLord View Post
                          As a First-Person Shooter, will you utilize Full-body Awareness (ie: Mirror's Edge) ? I intend too. In my opinion, the technique offers more immersion in first-person and can potentially provide additional avatar body/limbs for diegetic interfaces.
                          Yes, I don't see any tech reason why the FPS should be done in the floating gun style, besides what's one second of gameplay to actually see your character climb a wall instead of Superman'ing it.

Originally posted by TechLord View Post
                          PS: slowJusko, Ground Branch's NORG Natural Order of Realistic Gameplay approach sounds very intriguing. Can it be applied to a Science-Fiction setting?
                          I know the question wasn't directed toward me but, I see it happening, like yousaid earlier, realism in Sci-Fi is all about execution.

Comment

Actually guys, about the games story, there are games such as Minecraft and DayZ that have come out wuthout a story. Do you think that's a trend or an anomally?

Comment

Kronicshem, depends what's your definition of story. Images can evoke a story without telling you exactly about it. You can also have a minimalistic story. Strongly depends on what sort of narrative you use.
                              Some games may basically tell a story using its lore rather than an actual story.

Techlord, you are working on a fps as well? or something akin to Mirror's Edge? Just curious since I loved ME gameplay.

Comment

Working...
                              X