Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Action Adventure Game Mechanics (Starterkit)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Action Adventure Game Mechanics (Starterkit)

Hi,

Edit: It's out : http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...-Adventure-Kit

We (my friend and I) are working on a collection of action adventure game mechanics which we plan to release as a starterkit once it is done.
    Originally we planned to only post progress on youtube, but apparently a lot of people are already quite interested. Since we have answered
    the same questions via private messages several times I opened this thread to work as a FAQ and WIP at the same time.

One of the mechanics is Ledge Climbing:

The playlist and the rest of the wip videos can be found here:
    WIP Video Playlist

Q: How do you detect ledges?
    A: I wrote a custom SplineActor class and do a trace to find the closest spline point

Q: What physics mode are you using for ledge climbing?
    A: PHYS_Interpolating, I also use RootMotion to make the climbing speed precise

Q: Do you use volumes?
    A: Only for triggers, the actual movement "zones" are all splines, but we may use a combination of both to get better results

Q: Will you release tutorials?
    A: We want to, but this will be decided once the project is released

Q: When will you release?
    A: "It is done when it is done" This is our hobby, not our job. Currently the project is in a rapid prototyping phase. Once all the planned mechanics are implemented we will start to plan out how to actually write usable code

Q: What mechanics are planned?
    A: Ledge climbing, ledge balancing, dodging, walking in tight spaces, wall climbing (Tomb Raider/Darksiders style, not Assassins Creed), wall jumping, vaulting, surfing/sliding, levers, buttons, pushable/pullable items/boxes and maybe a few other things but do not expect anything major.

Q: Why don't you make better animations/models?
    A: First, this is a prototype and second this is close to my graphical limit, I am a programmer, not a graphics designer.

Q: Why don't you try and sync your animations with your pawn's actions better?
    A: Again, this is just a prototype, only the necessary proof of concept things are implemented.

Comments and Critics are welcomed, hope you like it so far.

greetings
    FTC

Looks great i really like climbing, animations are also not bad

Comment

Thanks =)
      Maybe it is just me, because I know how I wanted the animtion to look.

I also uploaded Balancing, but forgot to post it here:
      WIP 8 Balancing

greetings

Comment

Well This looks like an awesome thing I am interested in.

Comment

This is some good sheet. Thanks for making a starter kit for this.

Comment

Sounds great. If you need some decent feedback, I'm sure there's an MVP or two who wouldn't mind helping you out

Comment

Thanks for the motivation

Prototyping is going well so far, 16 of 22 items on our list are done. I guess we could finish it in the next few weeks.
              However, planing and writing the final code will take a few months I think.

Meanwhile enjoy sliding:
              WIP 9 Sliding
              Green slopes allow full control, yellow 40% and red ones none.

greetings
              FTC

Comment

Hi,

this was not actually planed, but the result of an idea I had while refining the spline code.
                So yea, instead of working on the mechanics I made a rollercoaster =D
                The rails are created with Loft Splines and the "cart" rides along.

To be fair, every good adventure game needs a on-rails section, right?

greetings

Comment

Your animator is unbelievable. I don't mean this in a sarcastic way, I marveled at the balancing animation.

You're way above me, especially and notably in coding.

Could you quickly tell me how you became so good at coding like this? Splines to me are arcane, as are many of the higher Uscript functions.

Comment

The animations themselves might not look too bad, but considering that I am doing 3d stuff for almost 9 years it is really nothing to be proud of =D

As for splines/functions: A lot of research and experimenting. When I started to programm with my first language all I had to learn where a few pages of documentary and no internet. That kind of stuck, so I still rather spend hours figuring something out myself, than asking in a forum.

However, I already received more questions about the splines than of the rest of the mechanics combined, so I might do a tutorial about those first.

greetings

Comment

I love how smooth the rollercoaster stuff is, nothing laggy like i've seen in many games. And great job with other mechanics as well.

Comment

My friend just recorded his Inventory trigger system:
                        WIP 10 Inventory

Triggers can only be used with certain inventory items.

greetings

Comment

Hi,

the last week was packed with work and I started making the first video tutorials for splines so this is only a small update.
                          I implemented a custom trigger actor that has a lever and if activated plays the corresponding animation:
                          WIP 11 Levers

greetings

Comment

I wanted to finish the video tutorials but got sick and my voice is totally messed up. So instead I finished the swimming mechanic:
                            WIP 12 Swimming

greetings

Comment

For sure a lot of people will appreciate all this useful gameplay stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X