Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SATURDAY TWELVE - Side-scrolling Brawler!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    really reminds of streets of rage! Great job!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [UPDATE!]

Short video showing 2 players gameplay! We had to reajust the camera to work with both players and also change the enemies AI to recognize both players as a target (they were only attacking player 1 in our first attempts, making Player 2 life to easy :P). WiP.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/saturda...ayers-gameplay

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Snufkin, yeah... we better get ready for the "Final Fight"

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There is certainly "Rage" on those "Streets".

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UPDATE!

We've been working hard to put a menu together. So far we have the main menu and now we are working on the options menu. We've posted a video showing a little bit of it.Of course it's a work in progress and still needs to be polished, but we want to hear your opinions about it! The background music is also provisional.

We also have some new animations for Roxy! The spin attack, the jump and the flying kick. We are going to post a video showing these new animations later this week.

Link for the video:
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/saturda...ay-twelve-menu

If you like this project, don't forget to visit us at IndieDB.com, and add us on Facebook. =)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nice hearing from you again, thewildnative!
    Yes, we are from Brazil lol. I never played Die Hard Arcade (don't know if the other guys from our team did) and I had to watch some videos on Youtube. As you said it's similar to what we're doing, although they seem to have more cutscenes and camera variation. We are really going for something that looks more like the good n old arcades, that's why Final Fight and Streets of Rage are our main inspiration. =)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Bauriema, sorry for the late reply. The weekend was kinda crazy with the Tsunami warning and all. One question i wanted to ask you was if you were really located in Brazil? The English with which you write seems quite precise, as though you are American.
    Wanted to thank you for reply. Yeah, no kidding about the insane amount of animation and coding needed to design the game so that it works naturally, and you only have 3 in your team. I thought that you were a team of 7 or more. yeah that's crazy. Not sure how I'm gonna develop my game ideas.
    If i were to work in the the gaming industry professionally, i would love to be an animator, bringing in the hybrid of traditional fantasized game animations, combined with some real-life natural movements. It's hard to explain, but simply to make a game move as real as life itself, it wouldn't suit a 2.5D brawler style. True-life animations i think are meant for more 3rd person type gameplay. Right now i'm teaching myself how to use Maya. It's taking a while since i've never taken classes, and only watched a few online tutorials. So i'm still way behind in properly knowing how to navigate and use both Maya and UDK. I have a long way to go.

I wanted to ask you if you've played Die Hard Arcade by Sega. It's the only game that i've played and know of (as of yet) that uses 3D graphics in the brawler game-type. You can tell this by the way the characters only face left or right and walk sideways to move farther and nearer to the camera. The only other time's i've played brawlers were Street Gangs (AKA River City Ransom), BattleToads, Double Dragon and Castle Crashers. From your link to indieDB, your game description mentions Final Fight and Streets of Rage. Never played, I've seen videos and am aware of the similar nature. Like you, amazed that there aren't tutorials or starter kit gems for UDK in creating this game-type. I think they just categorized it as a side-scroller. Which is what i've been trying to work with. Though in any case. I hope that you and your team will have time create a few tutorials concerning the custom brawler you are working on. I feel inadequate to ask you if you need help in any way, but i do. I would like to help you and get involved, even though i do have a regular day job and my schedule is randomized most of the time. But if there is anything i can help you with, it would be my pleasure. As for my self-study, I'm learning about Combos by Garner, and MatthewTardiff's animation.

With all these resources, hopefully i can bring my game to a simple prototype in a shorter period of time.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    We have a page at IndieDB.com now. Drop by to visit us!

http://www.indiedb.com/games/saturday-twelve

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi thewildnative! Thank you for your feedback. We rly appreciate it!

Our idea was exactly to collect suggestions and opinions from the UDK community based on what we have so far, so even if we are aware of some of those flaws, it's important to hear it from other ppl. The sound is not a priority right now (since there's an insane amount of coding and animations to be done yet and our team is basically 3 hardworking guys doing a little bit of everything to make it happen) but it's an important part of the game. I rly liked your idea of using her fighting voices randomly and not so often.

About the tutorials, we are planning to make some, specially bc we didn't find much of it explaining some things that would help anyone interested in making a brawler using UDK. Some specific things we had to figure out by ourselves and we think it would be good to share it with the community. As soon as we have time we will start to record.

Saturday Twelve is supposed to be a name given to the day where all the events of this game will happen. It's like a code to describe that day, such as 'nine-eleven', or 'Day D'.

Once again, thx for your feedback!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Bauriema, You (and your team i assume) have done such a good work that it feels as through you've snatched my own dreams from me and brought it to life. Yes, i too am working on a side scrolling brawler. Though i'm doing it all by myself whenever i have some time to myself from work and family. I think that you've come quite far. If i do have any advice from watching the video, there are some flaws to point out, i only assume that you already are aware of them, since the vid is only a prototype. One thing is the hero character's sound response whenever she executes an attack. The "whack!" sound effect of her hitting her enemies if fine and is expected since the nature of the game deals with fighting from start to finish and also is a compliment to the registration of a hit along with the appropriate animation, so the user/player knows the functions have been executed. Though followed by the sound of her voice, as a quick "Ha!" yell with every hit, can quickly become over used. I would suggest to use it every 4 or 5 times she hits her enemies or use different expressive sounds randomly. I do feel like an idiot now, speaking as though i've been making many a games, and having barely done much coding. I do know that you are probably aware of such things and many others like wise, and that you and your team are working on fine tuning it until it can actually be invested in by a larger company and published as a mainstream game, something like castle crashers. I guess all i can say for now is that you've done an excellent job, and the level design is so brilliant it makes me feel like i'm in New york again.
    I would like to ask you if you are able to, to show me and others like me, tutorials you've used or documentation from UDN that helped you in achieving this level of game design. Though as busy as you are, its alright if you aren't able to. We would still like to see how far your work will go.

Also, Why did you name the game "Saturday Twelve"?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Video added in the description. Plz tell me what you guys think! =)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    More screenshots showing the Arcade and the Extra Content menu. In this menu you will be able to see the Credits, the Trophies you've earned (3D Models of all the characters that you gotta find and collect through the stages. At the Arcade, for example, you can see a Roxy trophy on the table). Plus you have unlockable content like character profiles, cutscenes, and the possibility to view some of the game art and listen to the songs. Tell me what you guys think! =)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by merc-ai View Post
    The game looks nice. I like Roxy (though fighting on heels must be hard) and the visualized damage system.
    Any chance for a video to check the animations?
    Hey Merc. I'm posting a video asap with the gameplay and some animations, but so far we only have a few of them (like walking, fight stance and a couple of moves such as jabs, etc.). I'll upload the video tomorrow.

About fighting on heels, well... a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do right? =)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nice work Bauriema, keep it going!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The game looks nice. I like Roxy (though fighting on heels must be hard) and the visualized damage system.
    Any chance for a video to check the animations?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X