Head Tracking with YEI 3-Space Sensor in UDK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I didn't get how exactly I can apply the offset to the sensor readings. I have seen your unreal script where you have used methods like tss_getUntaredTwoVectorInSensorFrame(). Is this something what you are talking about? This is a dll imported function and I couldn't find it's definition.
    I am novice to the motion tracking. Can you please elaborate a little bit more on this.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The local axis of the sensor is not orthogonal to the ground so an offset with respect to gravity will also need to be applied.

Also mini update on the UDK developments, Since this thread was created YEI has started a new full body motion capture called PrioVR. Our kickstarter was successful and I plan on creating a few small demos and plugins for Unreal Engine 4. Unless anyone still has interest in UDK i will likely not update this and focus my efforts on UE4.

More info about the new system and updates can be found here: http://www.priovr.com

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am working on something similar in Unity using the Polhemus G4 motion tracker(polhemus.com/motion-tracking/all-trackers/g4/). It uses a sensor and magnetic field to track objects. I attach the sensor to my chest and map the readings to an Actor in Unity.

When I attach the sensor to my chest, it is in 90 degree rotation in elevation. To give it a reading of (0,0,0) on which the actor stand straight, I applied Boresight(Tared) available in Polhemus API.

Now when I turn right or left my actor move the same but it starts leaning forward. In that case my actor starts tilting(leaning) forward. I tried both Euler and Quaternions(to avoid Gimbal) but nothing helped. This one issue running me in madness.

Any suggestion will be a great help.

Regards
    - Hitesh

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am working on something similar in Unity using the Polhemus G4 motion tracker(polhemus.com/motion-tracking/all-trackers/g4/). It uses a sensor and magnetic field to track objects. I attach the sensor to my chest and map the readings to an Actor in Unity.

When I attach the sensor to my chest, it is in 90 degree rotation in elevation. To give it a reading of (0,0,0) on which the actor stand straight, I applied Boresight(Tared) available in Polhemus API.

Now when I turn right or left my actor move the same but it starts leaning forward. In that case my actor starts tilting(leaning) forward. I tried both Euler and Quaternions(to avoid Gimbal) but nothing helped. This one issue running me in madness.

Any suggestion will be a great help.

Regards
    - Hitesh

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Its been a long time since I had an update but I have just updated the unreal script to use the newest API

The updated Firmware and API allows any sensor to stream data improving response time and data throughput. The Updated demo allows you to toggle between both methods for comparison.

Newest version can be downloaded here http://www.yeitechnology.com/head-tr...ace-sensor-udk

Edit: I got some feedback and made some quick changes to the demo
    I fixed the typos noted and added some clarifications to things like the axis directions
    added walking as default
    added mouse yaw control
    I also added a new build of the dll, nothing big changed but its built from today's build

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Truly amazing

Leave a comment:

• replied
    After watching a few TrackIR videos I thought I could do that.

So this afternoon I added 3-Space Wireless support and did head tracking with a fixed screen.
    The rotator multiplier can be changed to make the movements on screen bigger and allow you to see behind without looking away from the screen.

Updated the code to add the wireless. http://tech.yostengineering.com/3-sp...cking-with-udk

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I want it!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by RoadKillGrill View Post
    The orientation is calculated on chip at 280hz with Kalman filtering or 600hz with a basic complimentary filter.
    To technical for me to understand. I'm really interested in one of those.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by strangelet View Post
    could this be adapted easily to other hardware, like the more ubiquitous naturalpoint trackIR ?
    Not completely sure what you are asking, the hardware itself is completely different than the TrackIR and uses different technology to calculate orientation. The ability to wrap a SDK with DLLBind is possible, it might require an intermediate to be written but shouldn't be difficult. I did a quick look up on TrackIR and the SDK is not available to people unless they plan on making a commercial product or something. There is another Optitrac SDK that is compatible with TrackIR that can be downloaded but I don't have a TrackIR to try it out.

Originally posted by k21n View Post
    so you just attach that microchip to 3d headset and that's it (for the hardware part) ?
    Yes, the sensor just plugs into USB and that is it. It does not use line of sight with a exterior peripheral to calculate the orientation, the blue LED just indicates it on and can be disabled if desired. The orientation is calculated on chip at 280hz with Kalman filtering or 600hz with a basic complimentary filter.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    so you just attach that microchip to 3d headset and that's it (for the hardware part) ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Needs more beard.
    We're finally catching up with our dreams of virtual relality headset and all that.
    Looks good... just need to get the price down on the hardware.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    could this be adapted easily to other hardware, like the more ubiquitous naturalpoint trackIR ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oh wow, nice! I wish that headset wasn't $800 though heheh.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Tux Android View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the tracking will rotate up to and from 360 degrees, if I'm correctly.
    The sensors output quaternions so it is tracking rotations on all three axes. They can go full 360, I just didn't want to spin around and choke on the video cord

If anyone knows of a solid wireless headset I'd love a link, I tried a Fatshark and while it works the quality of the video and display are poor. The HMZ-T1 displays are amazing but the base station makes it impossible to really makes it wireless without a backpack of equipment.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X