Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

[WIP] Realistic Forest Creek Environent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [WIP] Realistic Forest Creek Environent

Busy as always! Just thought I'd show you guys what I've been up to...

This time its a riverside environment, within a Norther Boreal-style (to be technical) forest map. I'm trying to get things looking as realistic as I can, as per usual, and I do feel as though I'm slowly but surely progressing beyond the scope of my previous endavours, in this regard.

I tried to just grab a bunch of screenshots, so some of them might be similar, but I think they are sufficiently representative of the env. at this time.
    [Some assets are placeholders, most are custom]

[shot]http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5395/screenshot00010o.jpg[/shot]
    [shot]http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/8657/screenshot00019cr.jpg[/shot]
    [shot]http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/3319/screenshot00014b.jpg[/shot]
    [shot]http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/2875/screenshot00016d.jpg[/shot]
    [shot]http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7961/screenshot00013x.jpg[/shot]
    [shot]http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/1386/screenshot00018w.jpg[/shot]

Next I may work-in somemore wildlife, a cottage type structure and some other signs of civilization, perhaps a canoe or two, as well as solidifying the direction and flow of the level design. Other than that, I'm really not entirely sure where I'll go from here, as I'm primarily a level designer (and a novice at that). Maybe you guys have some ideas?

As always, I welcome absolutely any coments, questions, thoughts, and espectially criticism, pertaining to ANY aspect of this at all. Everything helps!

impressive
    im just not too fond of the clouds. the rest is ace

Comment

Very nice. I'd love to play some Gothic-like game in such environment. Hunting wild beasts, gathering alchemy ingredients and simply sightseeing

Comment

Beautiful!

Such a lovely atmosphere, forest view, deep river and mother nature in the springtime. Very artistic indeed and seems the clouds are pretty good. Keep good at it!

Comment

looks almost exactly like BF3 - damned good job!

Comment

Dope, but beware the video game complacency. The current scene is very low saturation which is common is games to sell the realism as opposed to accuracy due to lack of resources.

However, actually going outside results in beautifully high saturation environments. Plants are glowing with green, the atmosphere is an infinity of blue, and the sun cast a strong yellow/orange on the Earth.

Look at Bob Ross paintings or GO OUTSIDE to reveal how intense the full RGB envelopes the world.

http://www.wallcoo.net/paint/Bob_Ros...ys_300x300.jpg

Hiding behind reduced saturation is an extreme lack of realism. In fact, it's stylized surrealism.

Other than that, and the plastic trees, beautiful scene.

Comment

awesome. one of the bets udk environment i have ever seen.

Comment

awsome, but I don't like the sky. How many frames?

Comment

Gotta agree with MaxPower it needs much more saturation to look real. The trees have too much specularity as well. Otherwise its a good start.

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys. Im averaging about 35 fps on my Asus with a core i7 and a GTX 560M 3GB GDDR5. Though theres still a whole bunch of optimisations I can do to increase performance.

@Max Power and TheAgent, you guys are totally right and I'm very aware that real life is much more saturated than this. The task becomes replicating this full depth of RGB that we experience in real life, within UDK without making things look 'cartoony', which is all too often the result I have observed. Anyhow, Its definitely neccesairy here to increase saturation and I don't disagree with you guys on this. Ill work on that. Also, your right about too much spec on the trees. Didn't even notice that one.. easy fix at least...

also, Im not sure what specificly you guys don't like about the sky, but I'd love to know.

thanks for the advice! And feel free to rate this thread if you so desire..

Comment

Beautiful environment,except the sky,because it seems not very realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by MOTHERJAVA View Post
                        @Max Power and TheAgent, you guys are totally right and I'm very aware that real life is much more saturated than this. The task becomes replicating this full depth of RGB that we experience in real life, within UDK without making things look 'cartoony', which is all too often the result I have observed. Anyhow, Its definitely neccesairy here to increase saturation and I don't disagree with you guys on this. Ill work on that. Also, your right about too much spec on the trees. Didn't even notice that one.. easy fix at least...
                        I'm not sure if these will be the right terms but, I'd say you're going for 'Artistically-Photorealistic' (as in, a somewhat artistic photo of a real thing) instead of Realistic (as in, what your eyes actually see). Having said that, don't get too close to Instagram

Originally posted by MOTHERJAVA View Post
                        also, Im not sure what specificly you guys don't like about the sky, but I'd love to know.
                        I think the whole clouds look too much like a random perlin noise texture, and individually each cloud has weird shapes instead of being closer to either being a fluffy and round cloud (as stratocumulus), or a natural-looking high cloud (as cirrus)

Comment

My first post here (and yes its a type of request) I tried out the water in UDK and i'm just wondering how you accomplished the look of the water you have achieved. The way it has a realistic flow and looks great along the edge with the smaller rocks. I saw a video on youtube regarding using a Flow Map and was wondering if this is what you've done. Any information/advice in how to recreate a similar affect would be greatly appreciated. I'm just starting development on my game and the first map is based on an island so I really could use a good water effect like that to help immerse the user.

Also looks amazing to me overall, agree with some of the comments regarding the sky but I think its just they are the lowest quality part even though high quality in themselves everything else exceeds them too much so they dont slot in right.

Comment

You can build meshes and UV them in a fashion that would make them appear to flow also - this technique is more common because it doesn't come with the additional cost.

Comment

In that case would the UV map need to be animated in some fashion, or scripted to rotate, im just curious if the same effect would apply near rocks etc. As I mentioned in my previous post I watched a video on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X1vFVGAlwk) and it blows my mind if I was able to create something similar for surrounding my island with some particle effects to create a shoreline and water spatter.

Comment

Working...
                              X