Descension: An Action/Adventure Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Descension: An Action/Adventure Game

Descension is an action/adventure game with an emphasis on puzzles and story but without forgetting the action. As the only person capable of stopping a planet wide catastrophe, you will explore the darker side of humanity as well as make difficult choices with unknown consequences. With a mystery to unravel, a new world to discover and understand, and possibly all life at stake it will take wit and intelligence, strength and power, stealth and cunning, or some of it all to make it through alive.

Please come by and see the video preview : Video Preview

Demo of the first Level Now Available for Download: Here

The City in the Sky: The Volatere

Storage Area

This naming may be confusing since there already is one of the the biggest sci-fi franchises (also action adventure) called Descent. There were four main titles and dozens of expansions. You might as well make a dinosaur game and call it Jurassic Park.

Otherwise looks alright. Cam's too shaky for retail, and voice acting is kinda funny. Not sure if it's supposed to be or serious.

Comment

Hey Thanks for the feedback. The customer is always right and all that... You mean this one? I was aware of it. Funny you mentioned dinasaurs...freudian slip? Maybe its just me, but I figured a game that Ran on DOS back before windows 98 would be long forgotten. Then again, I never played it, so maybe I would feel different if I had... I suppose if someone came out with a game called 'boulders gate' I would feel a bit peeved. However, they can't lay claim to the word forever and eternity right? Besides which my game despite appearances wouldn't really fit into a Sci-fi genre, and it is only part shooter, and not even first person. Besides all that, I do have a subtitle to differentiate, but for brevity sake I hadn't included it in my original post. Now that I can see this is going to be a problem with the die-hards...it has been added.

The camera work is definitely a top priority for me right now. Most of the extreme shake in the vid was exaggerated from the actual gameplay however. Please feel free to download and try the demo. I would love to have feedback in regards to the camera especially.

Comment

Watching the vid, looked fine to me, and intriguing. I had np with the voices. The 'maniac' voice cuts in and makes it obvious he's got to die The shake I like, being it's a space station of some sort. Also for me, from the start I liked the feeling of movement. Even the misty stuff and whirls of the station as we pan around it and the vagueness of the planet below. For me the shake added realism (not that I really noticed it until Max Power pointed it out).

Er, if the player character could do Duke Nukem 'style' comments -maybe- obviously in keeping with the feeling of your story. Maybe not... just something to give more life to the character we are playing, some history or something, maybe about the baddy. Clues even. But having said all that... would that work, I wouldn't like to say...!

The game put me in mind immediately of Deus Ex (first version). I don't like story games much, but I played thru that twice and the Deus Ex guy makes no comments. I guess that's left to the player's imagination. Maybe grunts or something, anything - also missing from GTAIII... Satisfied lol as he puts down a boss or something. Sorry just a personal thing

But I like it. The character as I watched him is purposeful, and that arrogant maniac voice definitely needs its **** kicking.

You say a good mix blasting stuff and puzzles, great stuff!

Comment

Descent is certainly not a game that's been forgotten, they're releasing an update on WiiWare this year. Red Faction is also connected to the Descent franchise. They've renewed the Trademark on the name, so I don't think it'll be available for recycling anytime soon.

Comment

hey, whats going on guys its been a while since any 3ES team members have posted here so expect a lot more activity now this project has a full team and is gathering more momentum.

Our website has had a little revamp and we now have a studio Twitter account @3rdElement.

Also a Epic forum member posted a little video about our game here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9_Ge...gBzKUm1msi-Xc=

Comment

Download our demo here:

www.3rdElementStudios.com/downloads

Your thoughts & feedback would be appreciated :-)

Comment

Some new very rough designs for new Traevan & introducing the Decoherency Gun (a multi purpose weapon).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Decoherency Gun-1024x819.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	3248983

Click image for larger version

Name:	The View_Small-819x1024.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	3248984

Comment

I played beta of this game and I'm actually pleased, even if it is beta.

Cinematics are great, voice acting also, I was really suprised when I saw the video at the beginning.
                  Menu of the game is bad but I guess that you guys only make it for this beta and it will be diffrent in the final build.
                  Again the beginning of the game and the cut-scene were great, I enjoyed watching it.
                  I love the player interaction and the actions after the player do something.
                  That magic or what is it with light is nice effect.
                  Visually it's fine, i think that can be better but for the beta is fine.
                  The really bad stuff is the player animation, movement and camera, for me it wasn't comfortable to play it, but again it is beta and there is much to finish yet.

Also, story is very good and can't wait for more playing.
                  There are my impressions for the first playing, I will play again few times and write some more informations.

Good job

Comment

Originally posted by Beno09 View Post
                    I played beta of this game and I'm actually pleased, even if it is beta.

Cinematics are great, voice acting also, I was really suprised when I saw the video at the beginning.
                    Menu of the game is bad but I guess that you guys only make it for this beta and it will be diffrent in the final build.
                    Again the beginning of the game and the cut-scene were great, I enjoyed watching it.
                    I love the player interaction and the actions after the player do something.
                    That magic or what is it with light is nice effect.
                    Visually it's fine, i think that can be better but for the beta is fine.
                    The really bad stuff is the player animation, movement and camera, for me it wasn't comfortable to play it, but again it is beta and there is much to finish yet.

Also, story is very good and can't wait for more playing.
                    There are my impressions for the first playing, I will play again few times and write some more informations.

Good job

Thanks for the critique Beno, it helps us get an idea of what people are liking. We will definitely take note of the annoyances you mentioned about camera and movement. Care to elaborate as to anything in specific about it that wasn't smooth playing for you? Was it not reactive, too mouse sensitive, too bouncy etc. ? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks again.

Edit: P.S. there is a free game for best feedback in the offing should you provide feedback over at 3rdElementStudios.com in our forum

Comment

Hello.
                      About the camera and player movement, for me it's little bit too reactive and unpredictable. Also as you said it's too mouse sensitive but I'm going for that you will add that option in the menu options. Camera and player movement are for sure the toughest part of game like this, and you will need to practice and try to find right solution. Also player animations are bad in some moments, like when the player is running or jumping.
                      If you fix these problems with camera and player movement, also animations of the player, everything else should be much easier. But like I said, it's beta and it's good for beta.
                      Also the big hall with big boxes at the beginning is little bit monotonous and confusing.
                      Will post all of this stuff at your site

EDIT: I posted some more impressions and added few more stuff at your site.

Comment

Thanks for your input Beno, nice to see people in the community playing each others games & offering there feedback :-)

Comment

New subtitle system in the works, our Lead Programmer Iman doing a grand job.

Hoping to post some new low res images tonight aswell :-)

FULL STEAM AHEAD!

Comment

Hello everyone

As you may know we're re-conceptiong the game so you won't see the demo as it is, as the first level or something in the final game. Here's some new concepts for the first room designed by one of our artists, it's still WIP though:

[shot]http://3rdelementstudios.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/1.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://3rdelementstudios.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/2.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://3rdelementstudios.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/3.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://3rdelementstudios.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/4.jpg[/shot]

Sorry I got ahead of myself, my bad. I'm the programmer and UI designer of Descent. So in case you had any feedback or request specially in programming aspects of demo, feel free to talk to us, it helps us to decide which parts we work on more.

You can follow our progress more closely in our site, http://3rdelementstudios.com/. Also we still need an animator. So if you are a talented animator/rigger and are interested, please read this thread.

Good luck everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Max Power View Post
                              There were four main titles and dozens of expansions.
                              Yup!....I was among those who created few expansion levels years ago and it was fun;look!,many have try to do similar story with the title "Descent" but have to re-think the fact Volition/Outrage =>> THQ now "copy right" holder have a big Hammer!....I think those guys don't want anyone including the "die-hard community" out there to take the unfinished story to another level...not sure what exactly what they are afraid of. Many serious teams have been formed for a re-make and or continuation of the saga called "Descent 4" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5GpFC1kOZtg) music;not that long ago to be ported online for free; the permissions (time and time again) was turned down. I am not saying you are thinking of a remake since you haven't play the game but this is how they ("so-called POWERFUL Copyright holders") think,unfortunately. Overall,your project is coming along beautifully;just differentiate the title or something like you said,regardless. I wish you the best man.

Comment

Working...
                              X