Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UDK Magika-Technology War Game Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually I find that quite impressive... the short scene displayed in this youtube video shows that you have the required skills in scripting/programming (dialog systen), modelling and animation (the player model and merchant), mapping and texturing (the world/map).. and much more. Most people actually are unaware of the workload that goes into such a scene. What I would be interested in is, if you have done all yourself and where did you gather the required info and how long did it take you build it all together ?

Comment

Awesome work o.0 love the dialogue system.

Comment

Yes about half of the models(The castle, some props, some weapons, most of the armor) are custom content made by me and one other modeller(Of course with the epic made trees, sounds, and a few props). I used the Dialogue System by Aloïs "Shad" Deniel (haloice@homtail.fr) as a base, and worked my way up from there, adding custom animation nodes (learned from the Dungeon Defense Demo) to the upper body so that a custom animation could be played on the body, and creating kismet nodes such that the animation could be plugged in to play in Kismet instead of having to do it in UScript. For each dialogue event that occurs, a custom animation can be specified to play. Most of the functionality was added by me in UScript, which has taken me about three years to complete(I had to figure out how to do it by research, which takes time), but development is going a lot faster now, as I know more of what I am doing than when I first started out. Also it is kind of hard to see, but there is facial animation playing as well. I will be doing modifications to it and uploading the videos to get opinions of it so that I can improve on it.

I got a lot of inspiration from playing Arcania: Gothic 4(Arcania). This is the eventual goal for the dialogue system, to make it look and feel similar(yet completely different) from Gothic 4 's dialogue system. There are a lot of pre-made animations(such as angry hand in air, clapping hands, arms folded, and wave to the right, (about 50 in total)) that are re-used for the whole game, and applied to different situations that the NPC is in(such as angry, sad, happy, loving, hatred) this also cooresponds to the overall mood of the NPC and the reputation that the NPC has with the player.

Try to watch the dialogue video in full-hd full screen, then you will see the facial animation.

By the way, thanks for the response and the kind words.

Comment

Hey, your dialogue trees are halfway to Mass Effect! Good stuff. How big are you planning on making this project? Do you know roughly how big the entire lay of the land will be right now?

Comment

The game world size is the maximum size of the Udk terrain(like 1024 patches by 1024 patches or something like that). The lay of the land is going to be similar to the map above. The castle seen in the video above is Imperial Castle(The largest castle in the game as of right now). There will be four major castles in total, and dozens of smaller walls and buildings to populate Imperial City(as well as other cities). I will also have random-roam NPCs that roam around the town for that "alive" effect.

The two major types of buildings are technological buildings and magical buildings(to go along with the major alignments in the game, technological and magical). Some cities are aligned toward the magikal side, while others embrace the newer ways of technology and reap its benefits, yet the arcane ways do offer their own benefits...

Comment

good work dude

Comment

Thank you all for the kind responses. I am now working on a GFx movie inventory system(75 percent functional) and a barter system. I will upload a video of these systems in the coming weeks. So far I've managed to get the slots in a GFx Movie to be populated with the player's(or NPC's in the case of the barter system) inventory of items(such as armor, weapons, misc), and when the items are dragged to a doll of the character, the item is equipped on the player(the mesh changes on the player in the game world). I also made it so the inventory opens up to the character in the middle zoomed out, so you can get a good look at what you're equipping.

Comment

The buildings are amazing, but you really need to work on your terrain. I know a few people have already said this, but if you really want people to pay attention to your project that should be the first priority. Just giving some constructive criticism. Can't wait to see more work.

Comment

Yes, I am improving on the terrain and thank you for the comment. I will be posing a video of my basic inventory system(80 percent functional) within the next two weeks. After that, the barter system.

Comment

Alright here is the video of the slot based inventory system as promised.

Comment

What did you guys think of the slot-based inventory? Let me know if you see any changes that need to be made or if you have any suggestions for improvements. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks

Comment

It seems just perfect, but one problem..
                          YOU NEED TO START WORKING ON WEAPONS! Aha, but really, I can't wait to start seeing cool spells and weapons from you Also, out of curiosity, Do you plan on making a class based system or the player can venture onto any type of faction in the game (Like in Skyrim)?

Comment

I already have weapons implemented, but I haven't hooked everything up yet.

There will be multiple options for the player to delve into(good or evil, tech or magic, warrior or archer, or anywhere in-between) and the things that you do the most(attack with your bow increases dextrity, etc.) will alter who you become. The factions that you join will alter your standing the the game world as well (join this faction and this faction becomes hostile, etc.).

The final version of the game(as I plan it to become) will remind the player of Skyrim, or Arcania: Gothic 4 gameplay, but with my own spin on things and storyline. I drew a lot of inspiration from these games.

Comment

I've almost completed the character menu and the quest system. I will upload a video of both in the next few weeks. I improved my dialogue system, so now right after the dialogue begins, there are several boolean and integer variables that are checked for their value. If their value is equal to a certain value, this dialogue option is presented.

So the value of the variables determines which dialogue options you will get. This is very important, as you would not want the same dialogue options presented every time you begin dialogue with a NPC.

For example, the first time you meet a NPC he will say something such as, "Hello, its been a while since I've seen someone walking these roads", but you wouldn't want this NPC to say it again, because it wouldn't make much sense, so you set a boolean variable to be checked determining whether or not that NPC has been talked to.

The way I have it set up is in Kismet, but modfying an UnrealScript variable, such that I can save the value of that variable in a save-game system.

The Character Menu-

When you kill enemys, complete quests, do special actions, or other stuff, you gain experience. When you gain enough experience, you gain levels. When you gain levels, you gain Character Points.

You can spend these points on attributes such as Strength, Dextrity, learning new things(such as new schematics), and new(or improving existing) skills.

Comment

Originally posted by LordNelson7 View Post
                                I've almost completed the character menu and the quest system. I will upload a video of both in the next few weeks. I improved my dialogue system, so now right after the dialogue begins, there are several boolean and integer variables that are checked for their value. If their value is equal to a certain value, this dialogue option is presented.

So the value of the variables determines which dialogue options you will get. This is very important, as you would not want the same dialogue options presented every time you begin dialogue with a NPC.

For example, the first time you meet a NPC he will say something such as, "Hello, its been a while since I've seen someone walking these roads", but you wouldn't want this NPC to say it again, because it wouldn't make much sense, so you set a boolean variable to be checked determining whether or not that NPC has been talked to.

The way I have it set up is in Kismet, but modfying an UnrealScript variable, such that I can save the value of that variable in a save-game system.

The Character Menu-

When you kill enemys, complete quests, do special actions, or other stuff, you gain experience. When you gain enough experience, you gain levels. When you gain levels, you gain Character Points.

You can spend these points on attributes such as Strength, Dextrity, learning new things(such as new schematics), and new(or improving existing) skills.
                                Sounds great! Out of curiosity did you have to model your character in a different way to implement this character customization?
                                Keep on going, I'm liking this project!

Comment

Working...
                                X