[UDK] Cyberpunk Hotel - WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[UDK] Cyberpunk Hotel - WIP

The premise is a skeezy hotel in a BladeRunner meets Dark City universe, with a little bit of Bioshock and The Matrix thrown in for good measure. So it used to be classy and nice, but it has been retrofitted with new tech over the years, is in disrepair, wet from the constant film noir rain and is mostly inhabited by prostitutes, drug addicts, etc. Right now most of the objects just have basic materials on them, aren't unwrapped, and may not even be the final geometry but this is where I'm at.

One thing that I'm struggling to get across is a good contrast between the deco, classy elements and the "80's version of future tech" stuff. I've got a few crt monitors/tvs thrown in there, but I need to push it further. The bed design needs some love, and the room doors will also be all clunky future tech as well. I'd like to get an atm somewhere in the entrance, and **** out the front desk to a cooler design. Any suggestions or references for this kind of stuff would be appreciated. I've watched through bladerunner and dark city multiple times while working on this to get inspired.

And a little bit of prop pimpin.

Hi Poly

Low poly (I'm considering using the dx11 tessellation to get some more depth in this, but I'm curious what y'all think.)

Thanks for stoppin' by.

Hey, love the setting!

The only game I can think of that relates a little is the way Fallout 3/new vegas handled some of the retro(ish) although I do believe its a retro-future (50's feel and look). May be worth a look though as it did make me think of Fallout when I first saw the shots.

Great work, keep it going!

Comment

Very nice, but I donĀ“t see anything cyberpunk about it.

Comment

Really like everything about the look & atmosphere but I also don't see anything related to cyberpunk neither. It look very classy & clean to me.

But anyway, it look **** nice

Comment

I reckon you may benefit from watching some back to the future. Nice work so far!

Comment

Very good work here man! About DX11,, hmm watch about this, i heard somewhere on forums that is not good till now, but im not sure about it. Anyway models what i saw here r wonderful. And btw i would like to see some video.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll be updating this as I get around to polishing it up, and I will definitely do a fly thru video. I allready have some flickering lights in the hallways, and one of the letters of the hotel sign. I've got some basic rain going on outside as well. I'll watch out for the dx11 stuff. I was suggested also to try out parallax mapping for the cushion of the bench? I'll look into that as well.

So pretty much what I'm getting from this is that I really need to accentuate more cyberpunky, futuristic elements with these classical ones. I'm gonna create an atm and have that in the lobby, make the front desk a mix of clunky sci-fi and classy, and then accentuate the monitors. I'm also re-working the room doors, but I'm at a loss as to what else I can include in the room to make it more futuristic. Maybe a PDA laying somewhere...

Comment

For starters, your television looks old. it is very anti-futuristic.

The bed on the other hand is a nice piece. for cyberpunk.
                Small touches, like exchanging common locks, for futuristic, keyboards or biometric, sensors, can help.
                Essentially you say cyber-punk, but there is no high-tech equipment anywhere, no computers for example.

Comment

Seems to be more Art Deco, rather than Cyberpunk.

But I do like it so far, it's just not very cyberpunk-like.

Comment

Very nice Work! Remembers me alot of the Cyberpunk/TechNoir classic Movie Blade Runner.

Comment

Thanks for the criticisms guys, thats exactly what I need to keep motivated and bring this scene up to par.

I've been working a bit trying to get the material right for the bench here. I've added a bit more detail to the bottom that I baked down from sculpting. I've also made the legs a bit larger, and brought them more towards the center to support more weight:

Comment

Blargh. Far too long, so little update. Heres where I'm at with the armoire/dresser shared texture:

Comment

It was pointed out to me that the area of the hinge that screws in would be on the inside of the doors there, so I reworked that area a bit. Dirty'd up the texture a bit with a bit o grime and scratches. I also went an made a proper spec map as well:

Comment

Originally posted by darbeenbo View Post
                            It was pointed out to me that the area of the hinge that screws in would be on the inside of the doors there, so I reworked that area a bit. Dirty'd up the texture a bit with a bit o grime and scratches. I also went an made a proper spec map as well:

Nice, great texture work.

Comment

really nice work.

Comment

Working...
                              X