Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pisces

Hello All,

I've already posted this collection of work at both Polycount and Eat3D forums, but I still wanted to see if i couldn't get the collective-mind of the UDK developer's network to chime in with their thoughts. I know there's probably plenty of folks who don't frequent those other forums, but may have some interesting things to say! Plus I'm guessing that since this is a UDK-specific forum, you may have an entirely different perspective on things...

Anyhow, I just thought I'd post some imagery for a project I've been working on for the past couple of years during my spare time. I've been planning to use UDK for it, and gradually learning the ins-and-outs through Eat3D's great collection of tutorials specifically relating to UDK. Hopefully the latest one by Hourences will be the "final nail in the coffin," as the game being made, named PISCES, is meant to launch on iOS devices (and the latest UDK tutorial deals with setting that up!)

As I mentioned, the game's called PISCES and it's slated to be a first-person shooter. I've been building assets for a long time, and it's nearing completion... but I thought I'd throw it up on this thread before converting the high-rez Maya models down to low-poly UDK in-game models. It's always helpful to get people's input/opinions, especially after working on the project this long (you tend to get "blinders" as an artist after working on something).

I've been planning to launch a Kickstarter crowd-funding page as well for the project as well as an official website), in an effort to get this project finished, but as I said, I'm really looking for the gamer/game-design community's opinions first. So, please, the more feedback the better!

As a general background on the project, it first started out under the working title "SKUNK WORK"... and so any imagery you see below with that name is from an earlier state in the production-process. The game takes place at the "end of Atlantis"... but it's not the Atlantis most people think of. There aren't fancy sea-shells and sea-horse designs everywhere... it's supposed to be a sort of truly technologically advanced-civilization that has erie resemblances to today's modern architecture and technologies. I always liked the notion of time repeating itself... being cyclical. The idea that what happens today or what has been designed/engineered has been created in the past, thousands of years ago, and that humanity just sort of "forgets" over eons what we've already accomplished has always been an intriguing concept. I cant give everything away, but that's the basic idea...

Anyway, let me know your thoughts, UDK community! I'm sure you've got some helpful insights,

-dan rutkowski

And a few more images....

Comment

And a couple more...

Comment

And some more (sorry, i can only post 9 at a time)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30432694/ACT...ERWALKY_02.jpg

Comment

and here's the last bit (for now)

Comment

gosh, thats awfully good. ill be impressed if you can keep it as good all thru the pipeline into the udk. the style is wonderfully unique.

reminds me a little of alien tech from halflife in general tone. gratz, keep it up. come work for us if you get bored!

Comment

One word, awesome. We may get in touch with you to discuss some modeling type things in the future since it seems you are incredibly good at it.

Comment

Oh ... my ... god ... ... this looks absolutely stunning. seriously.
                definitely keep this up. there has been a lack of innovative (gameplay-wise and graphics-wise) shooters the last time/years.

Comment

I'm sorry that i wont be able to give you anything more constructive than:

HOLY ****!

Comment

Beautiful work keep it up.

Comment

God ****. This is possibly the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

Comment

Hello,

Absolutely Beautiful. I have to say those are some very professional works of art there. Can I ask if you are a Professional, or working in the Game industry? And what programs you use to these amazing works of art?

Thanks,

Lee

Comment

Oh my god - beautiful!
                          Truly, one of the most awesome project, here on UDK o,o
                          I love concept - You will have my support in Kickstarter

btw. Oh, what exactly the help you need?
                          Are you Polish? (Rutkowski?) ;p

Comment

Aight so given that it is great (and it is!), since you are looking for crits/feedback and no one seems to be giving much, here's a few quickies:

- I personally like the slate grey look myself for future/sci-fi, the only concern is that everything when put together would look mono-tone. Grey guns, grey vehicles, grey walls, you get the idea, though it's impossible to tell with only a few assets rather than a full scene.
                            - Can we get some more straight-on rather than promo/stylized shots? I realize they're less glamorous and you want to present your work well, but with the character for example, only seeing a tiny bit is somewhat unhelpful.
                            - That hair might be a burden to translate into a real-time asset, consider something easier, but if you're looking for a challenge give it a shot!

That's truthfully about all that comes to mind, it looks fantastic. Love to see some of the pro/semi-pro crowd make its way over here rather than always hiding out at polycount

Comment

Working...
                            X