Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[WIP] DotA Remake!

Hello all!

Here's something I just started working on 2 days ago. After getting slightly addicted to League of Legends, I've decided to try my hand at creating a DotA Clone in UDK! I'll update this post regularly with new videos as I progress. Might even use this thread as a bit of a Dev Diary.

Anyways, here's the first video! Currently shows the camera, movement and skill selection system (with no UI yet). The controls are similar to Alien Swarm. W moves up screen, S moves down, D moves right and A moves left. The player will have a cursor (currently shown as a pretty Arrow that I found in UDK textures) that will change according to what spell is selected. The player will also always face this cursor, but is able to move around freely. Abilities are selected with 1,2,3 or 4. This will change the cursor to a different image (currently shown with the resizing cursors also found in UDK). When the cursor changes, so will the ability, which has the outline of the code, just needs the abilities to be added. I also have basic gold and exp code written, but it doesn't display on screen, and there are no enemies to kill yet anyway, so I'll save that for a later video! Enjoy! Constructive criticism welcome! Also willing to answer any questions you may have!

May need to watch in 720p to see the Cursor properly. It's a bit small.
    Video 1: Basic Controls/Movement & Camera

Thanks for looking! ^_^

nice to see a more action-oriented clone of DotA. looking good so far too
    I myself have given the idea some thought and at some point I might get on to it as one of the full-mini-game phases of my in-the-end-to-be RPG

Comment

Looks like a good start
      I also like playing LoL, so a UDK version would be pretty cool.

Try to keep your rate of progress high it keeps people interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Carsten View Post
        Looks like a good start
        I also like playing LoL, so a UDK version would be pretty cool.

Try to keep your rate of progress high it keeps people interested.
        Trying to! I'm still learning UDK and UScript, so everything I do is something new I've learnt. I'll try keep the progress as quick as possible, but I can't help it if it takes me a while to get my head around some aspects!

Comment

Great start here.Looking forward to future updates.

Comment

Currently working on a robust spell system. Going to make it so that I can create a projectile/particle effect with any inputs (Damage, ManaCost etc) easily. Will hopefully make it easier when creating new spells in the future to just be able to call a function, add the variables and create the spell. Will probably need a different function for each type of spell. For example, all forward-casting spells (similar to link gun primary fire) can be called with one function, while placeable AoE DoT spells with another. May be a few days while I find the best method to do this, but will post a video once it is done!

Comment

shouldn't be too hard

Love to see what you're gonna make ^^

Comment

Originally posted by KieranM17 View Post
                Trying to! I'm still learning UDK and UScript, so everything I do is something new I've learnt. I'll try keep the progress as quick as possible, but I can't help it if it takes me a while to get my head around some aspects!
                Do you have Skype? I'm very interested in this project and started something similar to this. I'm a huge LoL and Dota fan and really want to get a project off the ground. My Skype name is xHaVoK87 if you could contact me that would be great.

PS: If you got Twitter my profile is in my sig!

Comment

Originally posted by xHaVoK87 View Post
                  Do you have Skype? I'm very interested in this project and started something similar to this. I'm a huge LoL and Dota fan and really want to get a project off the ground. My Skype name is xHaVoK87 if you could contact me that would be great.

PS: If you got Twitter my profile is in my sig!
                  I'm just gunna try working on this by myself for now. It's more of a project to learn UDK and UnrealScript than anything else. If it turns into a decent game, then I may get some more people on board to help me with things I suck at (3DS Max, Animations etc). But for now, I'm gunna try learn these myself to see how I get on and hopefully learn how to do everything.

I will contact you later down the line if/when I need assistance.

Kieran

Comment

Working...
                  X