Generic WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generic WIP

So I'm pretty green when it comes to UDK; I've been teaching myself more or less from scratch with the help of Buzz's video tutorials (which are incredibly helpful; I would recommend them to anyone learning UDK). I cut together a youtube video with a quick narration of what I've done so far. This is less "Hey, look what I can do!" and more, "Hey, I know how to use the program." Also my first real submission so be gentle http://youtu.be/mswgG2LRubI

Good job on starting your level using the Unreal Development Kit

Do you have any plans on doing something with this?

Comment

Thanks! I may eventually finish it, but I'm still trying to get a feel for the program so I may wind up moving on to bigger and better projects.

Comment

Its looking ok.

It needs a consistent theme with similar textures. One other thing that is needs is something to break up the sudden change in textures, such as a static-mesh to cover up the seam where the old texture ends and the new one begins.

Long hallways are also not a good thing in general try to experiment with angled ceiling rooms and angled corners of rooms it will add variety and interest when the player first walks in.

Keep it up and i hope to see more!

Comment

Originally posted by TheAgent View Post
          Its looking ok.

It needs a consistent theme with similar textures. One other thing that is needs is something to break up the sudden change in textures, such as a static-mesh to cover up the seam where the old texture ends and the new one begins.

Long hallways are also not a good thing in general try to experiment with angled ceiling rooms and angled corners of rooms it will add variety and interest when the player first walks in.

Keep it up and i hope to see more!
          Thanks for the tips! I'll really take any help I can get, because I'm still learning what looks good. I hadn't considered the tip about the static mesh; that's actually really helpful because I was searching for a way to try and make the transition less jarring.

On that note, do you know where I might get my hands on some royalty free static meshes? I'm still learning how to use blender and I can't make anything halfway decent yet.

Comment

I believe blender has an asset store in their website (blender.org). You can try:

www.turbosquid.com and look for the free stuff.

Comment

I just checked turbosquid briefly... it looks promising! I can't really afford to shell out money (being a college student) for static meshes but I did find free ones on that site. This should help tremendously. I know I'm kind of pushing it, but do you happen to know where I might grab some royalty free textures as well?

Comment

Turbosquid also has textures . However for realistic textures I rely on Google/camera and Photoshop (Gimp - free ).

Comment

Originally posted by TheAgent View Post
                  Turbosquid also has textures . However for realistic textures I rely on Google/camera and Photoshop (Gimp - free ).
                  Oooh did not realize that. I guess I'm going to have to pick up some tricks with Gimp too then. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Hey, nice to see you've taken your first steps into UDK!

I recommend opening up a make like DM-Deck, and just go around it in the editor, and click on things! See what things are, see what they do. See how Epic use (and re-use) Static Meshes around the map and use the scaling numbers at the bottom right of the editor. I started mapping with Hammer, and was shocked by the amount of Static Meshes that Epic used, then I realised it was normal for UE3 to use Static Meshes > Brushes!

Good luck with future maps! Hope this post helps!

Comment

Working...
                    X