[project] Pyrenees Landscape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[project] Pyrenees Landscape

Hi, here there are some pictures of my very first project in UDK. I' ve been player with Udk for a month or so after releasing Warcelona (left 4 dead 2 campaign in august) and those are the first results. I must say I am very impressed with the engine. I felt in love with the landscape systeam and the material editor. Now, I'm tweaking the clouds in the material editor. They are basically planes with a mix of channels and expressions to simulate slow movement.

The Landscape is a Landscape (lol) with a displacement and color maps generated with World Machine 2. I followed this AMAZING videotutorial.

I'm a level designer not an environment artist. The hardest part so far for me is to achieve a good looking natural mountains. This project will be released as a free "game" were the only objective is to walk the way to an old house in the middle of the Valley (walking non stop takes 15 min). Of course, the player will find a lot of environmental narrative while walking and a little story. Think about the film Mr. Nobody, the idea is similar.

Hope you like it! From now on I will post all the process.

Thank you <---------------this--------------> much for linking me to that tutorial. Great work!

Comment

It's reasonable, but the terrain is very smooth and uniform. It could do with some work to break it up a bit (also, it's a lot greener than I remember the Pyrenees )

Comment

Looks like a good start. I would add a rock texture to the higher altitude areas.
        How did you do the path?

Comment

It's reasonable, but the terrain is very smooth and uniform. It could do with some work to break it up a bit (also, it's a lot greener than I remember the Pyrenees )
          Yes, the -all green- terrain is made on purpose. About the smooth terrain, I'm planning to do assets of very large rocks to break it up. About the Pyrenees, depends of what you've seen and when there's a lot of green or nothing haha. Anyways, this won't be a exact copy of the pyrenees, just a personal vision.

Looks like a good start. I would add a rock texture to the higher altitude areas.
          How did you do the path?
          Yes, I'm planning to do that rock texture but also some assets.

The path is a static mesh divided in 10 sections. It has shader to made the bordes of the props the same green as the terrain. If you take a look, you can see the seams between the static mesh, but it will be buried with detail props as grass, rocks, stone wall or flowers. I've also remade the shape of the path. No more "indiana jones balls". Now the path has got a small slope in the middle. Texture also was totally remade to aboid tilling.

The grass texture was also changed.

In the other hand, now there are moving clouds fading away in the peaks, grass (tutorial in tutorials section of my web) and I'm starting with the assets like those walls in the sides of the path. they are going to be a set of modular assets.

So, homework for this week:

- Improve the rockwalls shader (normal and diffuse)
          - Set of props like weeds or rocks to hide the seams between rock models
          - Do some variations of the rockwalls
          - Begin with the natural assets as little rocks or other kind of grass.
          - Go to the "The Tree of Life" (must not fap)

Comment

Well, as I said, in two weeks that should be all. And that's it. When I begun the project, the main idea was to learn as much Udk as possible, and that's what I did. I've learnt a lot of tools, like particles (flying petals), foliage system or the material editor, but most important, I've learnt a workflow. Lot of time "spent" in UDN and not in the creative process of the project. That's why there's a lack of cohesion between some elements, but well, everything except the skybox and the base textures for the leaves and barks (hello SpeedTree) are custom and made in a record time, so I'm very happy with the result.

Now, I will create the section in my portfolio for this project and do some animation in matinee to make a video.

Here's the final result, hope you like it.

Comment

Awesome! Do you plan to make any demo video(s) of the environment?

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard_Edge View Post
                Awesome! Do you plan to make any demo video(s) of the environment?
                What? :P

Comment

Nice! =D It's almost too green, but the particles are really nice.

I love that you used the Moldau music!

Comment

Working...
                  X