Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Sci-Fi Scene

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KartoonHead View Post
    Yes it is! I've been trying to force myself to use it so I can get used to the skillset but really haven't known where to start. I made my first proper ZBrush mesh today, a rock, nothing special but I used ZSpheres to create the base, UV Master to create UVs for it, then Spotlight to sculpt the detail as well as paint a texture, so that's gotta be at least 0.0001% of ZBrush that I know how to use now right? XD

I've really gotta sing Spotlight's praises here, a few strokes and you've not only made yourself a detailed high-poly mesh but also sorted yourself a Diffuse, Normal, AO, Displacement and Cavity map for your low-poly, hit the MultiMap Exporter and BOOM! Mesh and maps, all in a neat'n'tidy folder. I'd been bouncing around allsorts of different packages trying to make a convincing rock and it turns out you can get great results from just a few minutes in ZBrush (I'm confident it'd take me under 10 minutes to replicate my results with a bit more practice). I'd wondered why you've been pushing ZBrush so hard, now I know it's because ZBrush is IMMENSE! (for 'immense' see 'amazing', 'awesome' and 'sweeeeeeeeeeeet')
    Exactly! I love ZBrush and I wouldn't be able to complete anything like this sci-fi scene if it wasn't for ZBrush. A lot of the awesome games we play nowadays are made possible with ZBrush. Keep practicing, ZBrush is so not technical, the more you use it, the better you get, faster you get, and more you appreciate it. The things you mentioned you learned so far, is not 0.0001%; its more than that. Those are some of the more basic and fundamental tools ZBrush offers, and there is more, but once you master just the things you mentioned, you can still do so much awesome work.

And yes I agree, ZBrush is great for many things, including making highly detailed rocks!

Comment

So, you're interested?

Comment

Jak how do you get your meshes so high resolution texture. My models look like **** when i stand near infront of them. They are a bit blurry and the texture is awful. Same with my terrain and i dont kno how to scale it down.

Help me jak

Comment

Jak, This is some superb work you are posting here! [insert beer here]
          Can't wait to see more as you progress further!

Comment

Originally posted by Zersixs View Post
            Jak how do you get your meshes so high resolution texture. My models look like **** when i stand near infront of them. They are a bit blurry and the texture is awful. Same with my terrain and i dont kno how to scale it down.

Help me jak
            What res are your textures? If you're using low res textures, like <=512 then yeah they won't look good even when close up. Also make sure to follow good texturing practices, like overlapping UV's when necessary to save texture space, maximizing your UV layout space with efficient UV's, etc. Make sure also when importing your textures to choose correct import settings, if you choose to import with a bunch of compression you can hurt the quality. I also use MSAA, MLAA, FXAA, and general DX11 features to improve quality.
            Other than that, your textures are as good as you make them; good textures look crisp and quality, bad ones won't. Texturing is an art in itself so it isn't easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_PorkSword View Post
              Jak, This is some superb work you are posting here! [insert beer here]
              Can't wait to see more as you progress further!
              Thanks for the kind words. I'll be making a video soon. Actually I already did, by using Unreal Matinee to make some camera animations and flythrough of the environment (finally get to see the animated elements of the background, holo panels, and volumetric lighting!)
              I have the video rendered out, I just need to take it to post and edit the final video for my portfolio. I'll post on Vimeo and put a link here when it's done sometime next week.

Comment

i make my textures 1024 and it looks like 512, if i make a box and make all uvs as big as they can get in the uv space they still look really bad. I import my textures to udk as TARGA

Comment

Originally posted by Zersixs View Post
                  i make my textures 1024 and it looks like 512, if i make a box and make all uvs as big as they can get in the uv space they still look really bad. I import my textures to udk as TARGA
                  Have you read the UDN docs on working with textures in Unreal? Perhaps you might be missing some key little thing?
                  Could also be your quality settings, are you running in a low quality mode or something? There are a lot of compression settings when importing your textures, depending on what settings you use, you can inadvertently hurt the look by choosing wrong settings. Sometimes the default importer settings are not ideal, though usually it works in the first try. In my workflow I setup my textures and materials in my 3D package then export via FBX. In Unreal I import everything with FBX and Unreal sets up all my settings automatically, including correct texture import settings for color maps and for normal maps.
                  Not sure what your workflow is, but if you describe it, maybe I can help?

Comment

First off, i installed 3ds max 2012 3 / 4 days ago (i have modeled like 3 months now) and i just started model straight away. I dident change any settings on it. I do like i always do, model, unwrap, texture in photoshop and on all my models the texture quality is bad. Dont matter what 3ds max i use. Here is a video of a door i made 3 weeks ago, Still got the same problem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUsY1ty_XyY

One thing that irritates me on UDK is that when i build lightning all sudden my models have no shadows or very little, you dont see any shapes on the shadow just a round blurry shadow. I had this on the july built also, i haven't found any fix for it. When i look at EPICS props, when you walk close to them the texture changes to a higher quality. It looks so much better than my 10 pixlar textures on my props.... I get so mad

Help me Jak !

Note: You can also check my youtube channel Danuxsy (the link above is to one of my vids ) Maybe it can help you.

Cheers The mad Simon

Comment

Well the first thing I noticed on your video is that there is a lot of areas with UV stretching. This will always make textures look bad, no matter what, so you need to make sure you are laying out your UV's correctly.
                      As for why your texture resolution is dropping in Unreal when moving the player close to your static meshes, I really don't know why you're experiencing this. I haven't come across any problems or bugs that could cause this.

For shadows and lighting there are a lot of factors to consider. If you are using global illumination you'll get diffuse bounces of light, so shadowed areas will loose their contrast and depth simply because there's light bouncing around. Also, wha kind of shadows are you using? There are directional lights, point lights, spotlights, then there's dominant lights- all of them have different types of shadows, some even take area lighting effects into account when building your lighting, similar to what renderers like VRay and mental ray do.

I think you should read the following doc thoroughly : http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Lightmass.html
                      That explains everything regarding lightmass and how lights basically work in Unreal. The UDK docs pretty much answer everything there is to know about Unreal and its different tools. That's where I go to learn everything I know about UDK. Do a search for texture mips or texture streaming, it might bring up a doc that explains how to properly import and use textures with Unreal; this page might be helpful:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Impor...eTutorial.html

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Textu...dSettings.html

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Textu...echniques.html

There's a lot more on UDN. Look over all the docs and go over them, they do a great job of explaining everything about the engine.

Comment

texture resolution is dropping in Unreal when moving the player close to your static meshes, that line is a bit off, i mean my model have the same texture resolution when im close and far away. That makes
                        it look bad.

I will look through the links and see if it can help me, thank you !

Comment

Originally posted by MatiasCastro View Post
                          So, you're interested?
                          I wish you the best.
                          Bye

Comment

Originally posted by MatiasCastro View Post
                            I wish you the best.
                            Bye
                            are you bothered or something?

sorry for not using your music, but I just envision the animation more with a Mass Effect style soundtrack in the background.

Comment

Sorry, i post you a link with my music but i never had your opinion about that and I though that you're not interested in my music. Because i'm not offering my composed music... i'm offering to create original music for your Sci-fi Scene. That's all.

Comment

You're interested?

Comment

Working...
                                X