Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Sci-Fi Scene

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
    Words like looking nice, great, good, etc isn't enough. This is simply stunning, way above average & a feast to my eyes !

I always love the details, this scene is full of it, continue your awesome work dude
    Thanks, I really appreciate your kind words. I just hope I can find a new job soon in this horrible economy, things are just getting so bad everywhere.

Comment

Jak, start a new company

Comment

Originally posted by Zersixs View Post
        Jak, start a new company
        Thanks for the motivating words, sounds like you may know a bit about me.
        Creating companies is a lot of work, you really have to sacrifice yourself a lot and throw yourself into the grinder, and even then the odds are stacked against you. I think I'm too tired at the moment to start something new and start over. Prob best to just go in and work for someone else for a while, work on some cool and challenging projects, and then if the timing is right and the right people are involved, start something new. Just don't see myself doing that any time soon. Next company I would ideally like to start, is a game studio, ideally working on consoles (XBox 360, PS3) and PC games.

Comment

Man, this is super impressive work!! Really digging the art style you're using and the detail work is nothing short of amazing. Pro stuff! I wouldn't worry about finding work, man, any company should be chomping at the bit to get at your skills!

Comment

Originally posted by zanrai View Post
            Man, this is super impressive work!! Really digging the art style you're using and the detail work is nothing short of amazing. Pro stuff! I wouldn't worry about finding work, man, any company should be chomping at the bit to get at your skills!
            Hehe, thanks for the motivation, really appreciate it. I hope your comment turns to reality, so far it's been tough finding work but I'm still searching. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by jak_carver View Post
              That's actually a good point, I was planning on using some music from the Mass Effect soundtrack. I don't have it, but I should be able to get it on Amazon or something, I don't know.

Why do you ask? Are you offering? The kind of music I'm envisioning during this part of the reel is something like this, or something similar to some of the ambient tracks in ME2:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xblM1...eature=related

Note, for larger images check out the thread on ZBrush Central:
              http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthr...8-Sci-Fi-Scene
              I can create music for your scene... if you let use it as portfolio.
              What do you think?
              if you're interested, send me a PM or email me: matias.compositor@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by MatiasCastro View Post
                I can create music for your scene... if you let use it as portfolio.
                What do you think?
                if you're interested, send me a PM or email me: matias.compositor@gmail.com
                Definitely interesting. Can you please send me a link to your website so I can listen to some of your music? I'd definitely like to hear some of your best stuff, thanks.

Comment

Jak_Carver how long have you been modeling and sculpting ? This is the most amazing thing i have ever seen !

Comment

Here you can listen a little part of my music.
                    http://www.filmscoremusic.net/

Comment

Sorry.. accidental double post

Comment

Jak_Carver how long have you been modeling and sculpting ? This is the most amazing thing i have ever seen !
                        Wow, thanks for the comment. Just working on my art so I can update my reel and get a new job at a nice studio, hopefully someplace like Bioware, Epic Games, or something like that.
                        I've been working in computer graphics for about 7+ years now. I first started sculpting with ZBrush since they released version 2.0 some years ago, but off and on. Only recently have I been incorporating it into workflow for just about everything, it's just such an awesome piece of software- no 3D artist should be without it. As for modeling in general, I first began the self taught route back during my modding days with CryEngine and Farcry for the PC. Those were some good old days, not a care in the world and working in 3dsMax till 3 in the morning just having fun creating new weapons for mods and stuff.

Comment

thats sweet, my friend joined Bioware 1 week ago, here is hes channel http://www.youtube.com/user/RiddlazC but i think you are much better

Have a nice day

Comment

thats sweet, my friend joined Bioware 1 week ago, here is hes channel http://www.youtube.com/user/RiddlazC but i think you are much better

Have a nice day
                            Wow, now that's a major compliment, thanks for the kind words. I've seen your friend's work, he is really, really good. What a coincidence that he's working at Bioware now, good for him

Comment

Originally posted by jak_carver View Post
                              it's just such an awesome piece of software- no 3D artist should be without it.
                              Yes it is! I've been trying to force myself to use it so I can get used to the skillset but really haven't known where to start. I made my first proper ZBrush mesh today, a rock, nothing special but I used ZSpheres to create the base, UV Master to create UVs for it, then Spotlight to sculpt the detail as well as paint a texture, so that's gotta be at least 0.0001% of ZBrush that I know how to use now right? XD

I've really gotta sing Spotlight's praises here, a few strokes and you've not only made yourself a detailed high-poly mesh but also sorted yourself a Diffuse, Normal, AO, Displacement and Cavity map for your low-poly, hit the MultiMap Exporter and BOOM! Mesh and maps, all in a neat'n'tidy folder. I'd been bouncing around allsorts of different packages trying to make a convincing rock and it turns out you can get great results from just a few minutes in ZBrush (I'm confident it'd take me under 10 minutes to replicate my results with a bit more practice). I'd wondered why you've been pushing ZBrush so hard, now I know it's because ZBrush is IMMENSE! (for 'immense' see 'amazing', 'awesome' and 'sweeeeeeeeeeeet')

Comment

Back with another small, but subtle round of changes to the scene. Namely I made the following changes:

- added custom flares to the interior; tried to limit them so as to not overwhelm the scene with too many flares- can get annoying to the player/viewer

- created higher quality lightmaps

- postFX: did some color correction and minor tweaks, including enabling full antialiasing, MSAA, etc. (DX11 is awesome)

the interior lens flares I think make it look more cinematic and interesting; Unreal's lens flare editor is simply unmatched

I added more contrast with some post FX color correction and changes to the lighting levels. This wasn't really a problem; it was easy thanks to my experience working with renderers like mental ray, which have equivalents when it comes to tone mapping and color correction. If you're familiar working with post ware like AfterEffects, Nuke, etc. this is very familiar, as the way it works is almost identical in theory. Lots of fun, those post FX nodes.

That planet in the background is similar to Mars; cold, desolate, and potentially full of unknown minerals and ore that can be mined and collected. Also like Mars, this planet appears to have inconclusive signs that there once was life...but what happened to it?...

I'm pretty happy with it so far. I already have about 12 cameras setup and animated in the scene. The idea now is to render out a sequence through Matinee, a very awesome animation tool built into Unreal; the possibilities with it are simply staggering. You can use it for anything from animating a door opening for your level, to creating beautiful cinematic sequences that so many games use. I'll be rendering out a cinematic of my own and add music in post for the final reel.

Comment

Working...
                                X