Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arid

Hello!

Arid is a first-person action-adventure/RPG, set in a desert world of same name. Aside from RPG-ish non-linear character progression, main gameplay elements are exploration, combat and limited resource collection/crafting. The game world will be open to explore, but not all areas will be accessible from the start. I aim for game world of smaller size, but tightly packed with interesting stuff, much like Gothic/Risen game series.

Arid is a world of vast deserts where humans coexist with several other sentient races and mostly live in small tribal societies, surviving through foraging, hunting, and farming. Many tribes have shamans who possess knowledge and unnatural power of ritualistic magic. Gods of Arid are physical beings of immense power, are worshiped and play important part in global shaping of world. Game story is revolving around shaman of one tribe, who foresaw the demise of his tribe and searches for ways to prevent it.

Inspirations for Arid come from many sources. Notable ones are games such as TES:Morrowind, Gothic, Populous: The Beginning, From Dust, Metroid and many others. Tribal culture and lore are inspired by many real cultures ranging from Aboriginals to Tuareg people and Native American tribes.

[SHOT]http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/4623/screenshot2011081200172.jpg[/SHOT]
    [SHOT]http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7404/screenshot2011081200525.jpg[/SHOT]

That is all for now, thank you for interest!

Yay looks very cool, idea is great. good luck with that .

PS. прывэт из Беларуси

Comment

Looks like the Altmer towns in Morrowind.

Ald'ruhn,

Comment

Jarro Thanks, mate. I did not realize before that we're almost neighbors
        KartoonHead Good spot This picture was one of references when creating the tower, I also took the idea of small open tents from Ald'ruhn (though I haven't made them yet). Morrowind architecture styles and flora are big inspirations for me, though I try to create original style in the end.

Comment

Have been waiting to see an indie RPG morrowindlike project for a while now, great work and I hope you go to the end. Tho, aren't these buildings a bit too high poly for so little detail (I barely see any edges, quite looks that all the curves are model's curves not normals).

Comment

Vembumees A bit high-poly, perhaps, but within reason. One hut is ~6.9k triangles in total, another is ~6.7k.
            In addition, houses are actually presets and are very modular. Roof, each viga (round wooden plank supporting roofs), door, tusks and even windows and window frames are all separate objects. This way I can afford additional edges for smoothness on, say, window frame meshes (single frame having 32 edges -> 320 triangles), as most of the time many of these smaller objects will be occluded by low-poly building walls. Combined with reuse of house materials/shaders and instancing, it should help with final performance.
            House modularity also allows me to add some variation by combining same objects in slightly different ways, and significantly reduces time needed to produce new building components/types. Which is helpful, given the scope of project

Comment

[SHOT]http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/4001/screenshot2011082215570.jpg[/SHOT]

Selected from dev log (12 Aug 2011 - 22 Aug 2011)
              -Added fence and ladder models to Village assets.
              -Added StarsEye* plant model to Flora assets.
              -Added two rock meshes to Rock assets.

Other stuff includes minor tweaks to sky and landscape materials, improving rock shader, experimenting with other plants/rocks stuff, and further adjustments in game design.

Comment

[SHOT]http://i55.tinypic.com/104ns6v.jpg[/SHOT]

Added several cloth-related meshes and their wooden supports. Supports and flags are interchangeable, so stuff can be combined to have some variety. Side effect - a whole bunch of material instances and presets.
                Other than that going through major feature cut to further reduce project scope and make it more engaging.

Comment

Working...
                X