Underwater Scene (Atlantis I Suppose)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underwater Scene (Atlantis I Suppose)

I've been working on and off with this scene for the past few weeks and I'm about 3/4 of the way through. Going to add plant & animal life into the scene eventually. Anyone got any suggestions on what else to add or change?

I like it. Maybe add some coral and fish? =) Oh wait, that's already on your to-do list.

The last pic - The floor of the temple looks like it could have a higher resolution?

Comment

Ooooo yeah, I didn't think or coral I see what you mean about the res but the textures are 2048 already, unless 2048 actually is normal / small in the industry.. I dunno :S

Comment

You might want to check texture resolutions, as Blades pointed out.
        Also, good work on columns, but the rest of buildings seems too "new". Solid pieces with no chunks broken off or edges cut. Stairs, too, might look better with more wear/broken parts.

upd: If you haven't done so already, look up into using detail textures. Basically you'll use your 2048x2048 diffuse/normal for main stuff and big elements, but for stoney detail and close-up normal you'd use small seamless textures (I usually go with 128x128 or 256x256).

Comment

Looks awesome, good work.

I think the newness comes from the colour and crisp defined edges. Moss and maybe coral would grow but this is on the to-do list.

Comment

Cool thanks for the suggestions, will definitely try the moss on some if not most of the objects as well as breaking some chunks off some of the models

Comment

Looks pretty new & intact for something that is underwater.

Comment

Underwater life is the big missing one - ruins would be overgrown pretty quickly. Vertex painting into your materials and some suitably vegetation styled meshes will go a long way. Additionally, finding a way to fake some underwater caustics will dramatically improve your scene

Comment

yea I think underwater is all about the movement. depending on how deep you want to get into it (bu-dum-tish!), you could make anemones and weed that flow back and forth using the vertex shader. and maybe some simple overlays with a "murky" texture on them, or a particle effect, to make the water look less clear.

but definitely a cool start, you've got the main elements there looking good already

Comment

YOu need Sharks Definetly XD

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                      Underwater life is the big missing one - ruins would be overgrown pretty quickly. Vertex painting into your materials and some suitably vegetation styled meshes will go a long way. Additionally, finding a way to fake some underwater caustics will dramatically improve your scene
                      Yeh will definitely have a look at the vertex shading and I already have caustics in there :S

Originally posted by Spoondog View Post
                      yea I think underwater is all about the movement. depending on how deep you want to get into it (bu-dum-tish!), you could make anemones and weed that flow back and forth using the vertex shader. and maybe some simple overlays with a "murky" texture on them, or a particle effect, to make the water look less clear.

but definitely a cool start, you've got the main elements there looking good already
                      Have you got any tutorials on overlays as I'm not quite sure what you're on about lol :S I've tried a particle system to have bit's of 'snow' to float around but to make it even noticeable the particle count had to be about a million lol but then again I'm not that great with particle system so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Comment

Actually maybe try a post process effect?

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/PostP...fectsHome.html

Using a material effect:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/PostP...Materials.html

with a subtle "murky" texture that oscillates and gets overlayed on the brighter parts of the scene? That's what I'd try first anyway. If that worked then you wouldn't have to go placing transparent planes everywhere..

Comment

You could try experimenting with adding some amount of a blur post process effect. I believe you can tweak the properties quite a bit and adjust it so that things up close are clear and things far away are blurred out as they would be underwater. Maybe just a light touch of this would be beneficial.

Comment

Given how bright the scene is the water feels too dark, I also can't seem to see a sky of any kind beyond the ocean's surface.

Comment

Still needs plants and fish but I've changed the opacity of the water and also changed the fog colour to make it easier to see the water surface. I've also added distance blur as well as barnicles & seaweed on the meshes using vertex painting.

Any better than the original images?

Comment

Working...
                              X