the old copper factory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the old copper factory

to mark my first year with UDK i have posted a playable demo of my game.the enviroment is around 70% finnished,still lots to do.Textures and materials espesially.
    i have tried to optomize it as much as possible and it runs fine on a midlling laptop.
    Sorry for the short post,but ive been flat out all week to get the demo finnished and now im off on a weeks holiday.
    I hope someone enjoys this,ive had many hours of fun making it.

video and download here
    http://darkarts3d.co.uk/ocf.html

This level is huge. Looks like fun.

Comment

ive updated the video to show more of the features in the demo,i really didnt have time last week.
      so far i have only added the gameplay elements for the rescuing of survivors(i used Teglegs Zombie code to get the survivors to follow you),but i plan to encorporate at least four different game modes including the the escape mode i had been developing for serial killing 1.0.1.
      the factory was a real place untill they began demolising it in 2008,i worked there for 13 years,so i know the place back to front.(ive had nightmares about how familiar some of it looks!)
      i used google earth(luckily not updated since the demolition)to get the overall layout of the factory correct and memory to furnish the buildings.
      hats off to UDK for being able to handle the whole factory without streaming,which i dont think would do justice to the openness of the level,ive built scenes half this size for rendering in max that take 30-40 seconds a frame to render,and not look that much better and UDK kick *** at 60 fps.
      ive spent a year learning how to use UDK and experimenting and this demo is the result.the plan is to spend the next year working exclusivley on this game and release the final product for my two year anniversary.

PS.can anyone point me to a better free filehosting site?the one i origionally used has a limit of 200mb and the current one gives me no feedback.ie how many downloads.

Comment

after a move to the august build and a mojor relight,my game has a very different feel.
        video here

Comment

That looks mental but awesome, cool enemies!

Comment

thanks.the ballchinians were made by Kelt'ar and are available for download from the releases and downloads page.the malachites are just placeholders for now.i can make them available if you want them.

Comment

Very good job. I like the feel of it. Can you get an HD Video of it up?

Comment

the latest video is full hd.

Comment

after messing around with coverlinks and defence points i seem to have found a nice balance between pure UT deathmatch and standoff firefights.

Comment

I've got to say it looks pretty good, Keep up the good work, I just love the feel of the game...

Comment

new weapons added.impact decals not showing up with fraps.all weapons available for download early december.

Comment

o.k. my first game is nearing completion and ive droppped the crappy back story(im not to hot at that).its basically a reversed capture the flag adjusted for single player.you and four bot teammates must get to the enemy commander and kill him.
                        ive learned alot in making this game,mostly about level design how bots behave,and that is why im leaving this game as it is(also because its fun as it is) and moving on to a much larger map,six times the size of the old copper factory,but with only one main root to the flags.

and with some vehicles

and here is a preview of my next game.

these prototype vehicles will be available for download from my site in the next week or so and the old copper factory soon.

Comment

awesome!
                          how long did it take to make this(so far at least?)
                          I have been working on a small level for about a month now and it seems like it is taking forever to finish it.

Comment

thanks for the comment.ive been working on the old copper factory since august last year.2-3 hours each day.about 60% of the meshes were also made in this time.about half the total time was spent just playing with pathnodes and getting the enemy to work well.in the end i extended the UTFlags and reversed the colours and gave the flag to the player at the start of the level,ensuring the enemey always came after you.if you let a teammate take the flag they aways take the shortest route so there was a lot of the map that the bots never used,so i blocked all but the longest route with doors which the player can find and open to create new routes,but this was the main reason i am moving to my next map.as my experience grows with UDK i intend to return to the copper factory,as i have fond memories of the place and love seeing it go boom.

Comment

oops,double post.

Comment

Working...
                              X