• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<3 the crate. It's soopar hawt.

Comment

The "Male Companion Cube".

Comment

That is a really epic looking box. I wish I could texture that well- all my metals end up looking like plastic.

Comment

It's actually my first time texturing Shivan, but the difference between concrete, plastic and metal often comes down to your source texture selection and specularity. I used real metal textures and played heavily with the specularity to really emphasize that it's metal (something not immediately apparent in screen shots but more apparent in real time). It's actually my personal critique of my own work, I didn't quite nail the contrast and specularity, over grunged the metal plates, but it's my first time texturing and it's a crate ...

I thought I'd briefly mention how I set up the presentation shot since I know in some ways it doesn't exactly look like "in engine" even though it is. I used a number of subtle tricks.

- Made a quick custom mesh that is essentially a floor and a wall, but with a smooth, curved transition in between, rather than a harsh 90 degrees. This lets the light/shadow create the nice gradient effect you see.
          - Used a basic phong shader, consistent neutral color and let the lighting do the gradient work on the curved surface.
          - Used a height fog, while the asset itself isn't being fogged, it helps smooth the gradient transition in the background and lets you change the gradient coloring by changing the height fog color.
          - Lifted the crate just a tiny, tiny bit off the floor as to create a subtle but nice drop shadow.
          - Single dom directional light. Obviously you could get fancier with a 3point light setup.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys, I think I'll just model-prototype today and take it easy. The dream is to populate our solar system with nice little assets like these (fortunately space is largely empty), should make for a compelling place to fly and walk around in, much less dogfight in

Comment

Here's a simple sci fi floor and trim, untextured, 2 tris each (1 poly plane). It's modular so that is 4 repeats of the same meshes, I tried to have the trim tile noticeably while keeping the floor nearly seamless. Going to make a few of these to give us options when decorating the interior, probably going to focus more on trim pieces for a bit.

[shot]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6906/captureprq.png[/shot]

- Reacquainted myself with UE's lighting (want that crisp bright look), the post process system (LUT, chromatic aberation) and explored the overall next-gen "sci fi" look I envision while evaluating performance tradeoffs.
            - Put in a shell structure for the hangar and began putting in a few simple modular pieces.
            - Addressed a few more of the player scaling issues (collision and camera problems in particular).

Comment

Here's a pillar for the hangar.

[shot]http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4903/capturekhr.png[/shot]

- Finalized space station dimensions with Count, he modelled the shell for everything and got it in game (similar to a BSP blockout).
              - Put finalized hangar shell in game along with pillars, crates, etc., walked and flew around the hangar a bit, felt pretty cool!
              - Updated vehicle cameras to have collision via SolidSnake's excellent racer gem, he was doing it much more efficiently than I was.
              - Had a few more issues with the normal map and shading this time around, still a few areas to clean.
              - Won't be texturing for a bit, just gonna get these normal mapped assets in game before I texture the scene.
              - Happily surprised with my overall quality. I've never modelled with any seriousness before, just sort of dabbled at it. Made myself sit down and commit to churning out some assets and overall, it's going well. Is it AAA mind blowing art? Nah, but hopefully it's hitting above-average!

Comment

Liking the pillar! The normals seems soft on some of the corners maybe its the normal map or the lighting though.

Still looks great!

Comment

It's a mix of 1) real time lighting (this month's UDK seems to have lightmass issues for me), 2) the realtime AO and its tendency to make things look blotchy unless you spend a ton of time tweaking it and 3) a few shading flaws I need to fix up Glad you like it, I'm slowly getting into the modelling groove. Congrats on all your work/releases lately, you've been a busy man!

Comment

Count's on vacation (again! *******), but is still doing a little bit of learning/work so I thought I'd post on his behalf. I've been having him learn hard surface stuff on simple floor tiles, to really get the feel for it before moving on to more complex shapes and he's really getting the hang of it. He made a simple sci-fi floor panel and mixed it in with mine. Like me, his initial reaction was to really over detail stuff, which when you tile it, looks very, very busy (bolts everywhere, tiny details galore). We've both decided that a clean, simple style is preferable when an asset will be heavily tiled. Anyway, Count's first "Dan Approved" floor tile, clean bake and fully modular, hooray for Count!
                    [shot]http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/7817/nrmal.jpg[/shot]

Also a fantastic article on modularity (using UDK actually) and why we're making modular assets was just released. A very good read: http://www.scottjonescg.co.uk/FYPRes...games_v1.0.pdf

Comment

<3

This is a really cool project, even if it is just floors and pillars for now...

Comment

Well it's pillars and floors for now b/c I really want to highlight that you can go from walking around a massive space station, to hopping on a ship and flying to nearby planets. The vast majority of the space station is up to Count to do. I'm simply doing the Hangar, then I'll return to large scale space art (planet, asteroid, nebula) and a customized ship. I've been sort of tempted to go straight for the ship, since I wanna do a space combat video, but am trying to stick to the plan and build assets for the Hangar scene. Discipline!

Comment

Originally posted by danimal' View Post

Dan's To Do List

Art
                          - Put in a Sun including flare.
                          For the sun flare / lensflare, are you think about something like that
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdkKXo5b09U ?

[EDIT] Could you make a video showing your space station? I'm kinda interessted.

Comment

It's pretty spartan at the moment considering I have 6 objects in total to work with: the shell of the station (ring shaped), crate, floor piece, trim piece, pillar, wall piece. Our station is ring shaped, and I've been allotted something like 1/10th of the ring for the hangar bay. So atm it's 1/10th of a massive ring, with a shiny floor and some very basic objects in it. While I'm ok with showing WIP on modelling as I go, I'm less inclined to show the actual world in such a WIP state (sort of no point, it's fairly empty). I'll mail you a quick pic tho for fun, it won't show much of the hangar but give you an idea for the scale of everything!

As for flare, in the long run I'll likely go animorphic flares, but the existing one in UDK (I think you're using it?) is fine for now. There's lots of little, easy stuff I can do (like flares, particles) I just haven't gotten around to. Though after seeing yours, I did go attach the ubiqutuous "space dust" particles to the ship via unrealscript yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by danimal' View Post
                              As for flare, in the long run I'll likely go animorphic flares, but the existing one in UDK (I think you're using it?) is fine for now. There's lots of little, easy stuff I can do (like flares, particles) I just haven't gotten around to. Though after seeing yours, I did go attach the ubiqutuous "space dust" particles to the ship via unrealscript yesterday
                              You got me, I used the UDK lensflare^^

Could you post a picture of your star dust? I am curious how yours looks like. ;-)

Comment

Sent you PM of hangar (I think, forums are being slow/weird). Heh no dust pics, much like your WIP videos, the idea was to 1) make a basic particle system and 2) attach it via socket to the vehicle. It's just simple dots at the moment, didn't spend any time on the art side of things, just the technical side. I'm currently preparing to move internationally and start a new job, so I have very, very little time at the moment to do this fun stuff, so updates are going to be sparse for a bit. When I'm connected back in Cali, I'll start up some work again! Until then, its tiny little things.

To make this post more useful to someone, here's a simplified version of how I'm attaching particles to my vehicle in unrealscript:

Code:
                                var name ParticleSocketAttach; //unrealscript reference for our socket
                                var ParticleSystem DebriParticle; //our actual particle system we created in editor
                                var UTParticleSystemComponent ParticleEmitter; //the component which contains the emitter

simulated function AttachVehicleDebriParticle()
                                {
                                	ParticleEmitter = new(Outer) class'UTParticleSystemComponent'; //spawns it
                                	ParticleEmitter.bAutoActivate = true; //activates it
                                	ParticleEmitter.SetTemplate(DebriParticle); //tells it to use the particle system we made and defined above/below
                                	Mesh.AttachComponentToSocket(ParticleEmitter, ParticleSocketAttach); //attaches our component/emitter to our socket
                                }

defaultproperties
                                {
                                	DebriParticle=ParticleSystem'ProjectXContent.Particles.Vehicle_Debri' //your particle package here
                                	ParticleSocketAttach = ParticleSocket //name of the custom socket created in the editor
                                }

Comment

Working...
                                X