earth_Oldtown_Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

earth_Oldtown_Map

This was supposed to be for the elemental contest how ever i never got around to finishing it and still haven't. Any crits are welcome and i apologize for sending you all to youtube but im miserable at this posting stuff. I should also say sorry for the poor video quality im also pretty bad at making videos lol.

any way heres the link to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD0aypDkULk

You should have submitted it anyway, then you and Pazd would have gotten another month to finish your maps.

It's a shame you didn't submit this, it's a very promising start.

Comment

ya sorry about that just really had to work and i only caught wind of the competition later on i never payed any attention to the top posts as i thought they were just stickys about posting lol... my loss.

Comment

Nice. Reminds me of Flavella from MW2. So will you finish it, or leave it as it is? It definitely has potential.

-Mr. Illusive

Comment

I could see a cool DM map or maybe a short single player level.

Comment

It will be finished yes but at this point my motivation has dwindled slightly. i was hoping to modify it to make it a DM map such as adding more cover elements and a more dynamic range then just a flat surface to run around on lol.

Comment

Look at some concept art/reference pictures that have to do with the style you're going for. That usually inspires me when I get bored making a map, and gives me ideas

-Mr. Illusive

Comment

Your map reminds me of the shanty towns in Far Cry 2.

Comment

Hi, the scene is looking awesome but the rock cliff around it look a bit repetitive at my opinion, you could try to rotate some of the mesh to make it less repetitive :P

Comment

a shanty town is exactly the look i was trying to achieve but i feel i might want to change that look to something a little more industrial and yes the rocks in the back ground are all one mesh and i was hoping no one would notice lol. But if its something i need to change to make it look goo ill do it thank you all for the comments.

Comment

For the rocks you don't have to add in different meshes or even rotate them. Just break up the lines that the rocks create by adding vines, grass, tress, trash, or even just vary the material.

Comment

Nice work so far. Some suggestions:

Buildings - The biggest thing that stands out is that it seems each piece of metal on the building is a perfect square just slapped onto the side. Think of real metal sheets like that and how they're shaped and sized differently. Some look more like doors, some are just large squares, etc.

Maybe give a few of them extra colors that stand out, or walls made out of blankets/cloth, old industry signs used as pieces of wall, some solid metal, etc. Just to break up the current repetitiveness, and extra roofs perhaps, some larger that stick out over the side of the houses. Some made out of a single piece of metal, etc. You could give some of them slightly slanted roofs as well. Graffiti some of them also.

Road - You could try a dirt road with some rocks and potholes. Right now it just looks to be in a lot better condition than the town is in. If you wanted the industrial look maybe keep it how it is but just add some more wear and tear to it, broken curbs, large cracks, etc.

Fences - Same as the road, they seem to be in good condition compared to the rest of the scene. Maybe broken/run down picket fences or some large wire fences with posts?

Misc - Add some power poles/lines if you wanted to take it in a more industrial look, and maybe add some clothes hanging on wires between the homes.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas. I'd like to see some updates on this

Comment

Working...
                        X