Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to make my horror level design stand out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ronnie42 View Post
    lol wasn't a big fan of RE4 either which is why I'm hopefully making this as good as I can. Just hope it's gets accepted soon. Because Capcom clearly aren't doing their job.
    Well just try and make it as original as you can whilst trying to take the best game mechanics out of RE and I'll really enjoy it.

Comment

Yep I'm trying but for now I'm mainly getting level design done since thinking of a story might make me get too ambitious, makes me sometimes rush work. (My 1st builds was proof of that since was trying to do too much).

One of my old builds:

Comment

Originally posted by Rhiyo View Post
        Well just try and make it as original as you can whilst trying to take the best game mechanics out of RE and I'll really enjoy it.
        Uploaded the beta, is now authorised:

http://www.moddb.com/games/evilprodu...s/beta1version

Also everyone this is still 'work in progress'.

Comment

Uploaded the beta, is now authorised:

http://www.moddb.com/games/evilprodu...s/beta1version

Also everyone this is still 'work in progress'.
          Arg, was just about to go to bed :P

I'll have a quick try of it before I do though, I'll post my thoughts of it in a bit.

-Okay my internet is going really slow, so I'll try it tomorrow and give my thought :P

Comment

lol well I just got up since I'm lazy.
            Also I'm interested in your feedback, will happily improve when I get some time.

My internet may be down at weekend so any feedback might not get a reply till monday.

Comment

lol well I just got up since I'm lazy.
              Also I'm interested in your feedback, will happily improve when I get some time.

My internet may be down at weekend so any feedback might not get a reply till monday.
              So far I think it's amazing.

Here are some things that I think need changing at the moment though:
              A bit too many camera changes, especially at the ally ways, this could be because of the characters speed though, I'd make him alot slower because when you run through the ally ways you barely know where you are going and there is so many cameras changes so fast it is confusing. I'd try and stick to probably 2-3 camera snaps at each ally way (spread out as best as possible) and slow down the character.

The ally ways need a bit more detail so you can distinguish the differances between them, I got lost at the first part :P maybe add some boxes here and their, a dumpster in one, a dead body in the other just so people can recognise where they are more. Maybe change the texture for one one the walls see it can be viewed as a differant building?

The thunder sound (I think that's what it was?) happens too often, make it happen alot less and maybe add some light flashes for outside?

If the room at the start is going to be the very first part of the game, make it explain things for the story, if your character has been staying their for weeks and needs to go out for supplies add some empty food supplies everywhere. Was your character with his wife/bestfriend/girlfiend and had to kill them because they turned? Leave a body their and make it detailed. I'd also make the starting door have a really eerie creeking noise to start freaking out the player.

I know alot of the things I said weren't in there because it's only being built, but I've just suggested them to make sure you know :P all and all I think it is amazing so far, I love the sky and everything else looks really good. I like the lighting at the moment, maybe when you add lights through the allyways and stuff you should make them really bright for a cool effect?

Also, in my opinion this would make a really good iOS game (Unless you want it really detailed), the gameplay would sorta work and I can imagine people playing this in their bed under a blanket or something :P (Never owned an ipod/iphone/ipd and I've never tried to make a game for them so I could be wrong :P)

Hope my suggestions helped!

Edit: I just played again, and another thing for those ally ways, maybe make the character slower and make them shorter? I know this could be alot of effort though so I'd try the other way I suggested first :P

Edit2: Edited in half of a sentence I missed XD

Comment

I'd say the problem in your screenshots would be the overus of grey/blue,get more contrast of colours that are appropiate to the genre.

Like someone already mentioned,use bloodsplatter decals to put some red in there,maybe some vegetation growth (popular in dino crisis urban environments) and lastly get a few fires going :P

Generally design wise,Resi and most horror games have two colour palettes,one that is normal and occurs commonly throughout the environment design,and one that's more intrusive and usually signifies danger or a recent event (or an upcoming one),with Resi it tends to be dull realistic environments with blue and brown taking center,dark tones,then whenever danger is signified or being close to the player,blood,fire and more use of higher tones like red and yellow are used.

Not sure if you've got time to get that many new assets done though...

Comment

Well I have a bit more time spare due to finishing University coursework, will be looking at the camera system again at some point.

Also probably right about the lighting sounds since it's too much plus lighting doesn't strike twice.

Oh the room was more of a placeholder because was trying to get some door animation but I'm thinking of putting in a room similar to the safe rooms from left 4 dead. Also thought of making a Ipod version but I realised from using my Ipod is that its really hard to control things with. (Oh and there's a lot of secret rooms in there which I haven't even unlocked yet )

Also any ideas for the speed? I was going to see about changing it but that would mean editing the config file, I was transfering my files separately, was concerned about changing it again onto my laptop since was using it on my main machine.

Anyway as to the sky I found it but probably might have a go at rebuilding one similar to it. (off topic but is it just me or did the sky look borrowed from the new mortal kombat game?), the door was pretty rushed since I had forgot how to make a decent door, was too lazy to UVW map it.

The alley ways were a big concern to me since I wasn't sure about getting the properations right. Also I was concerned if the camera's were too close or too far. I did notice the park was a rush job but that was mainly because I had to showcase it to the next day, had no sleep.

Anyway I'll see about making blood splatters at some point but I'm assuming that has something to do with Photoshop, oppacity maps. Also the vegetation is something I may have to do further research on because for me I wasn't sure where to begin with this, ended up mostly using Speedtree while hedges just seem confusing to figure out.

Also been replaying the original Resident Evil games, trust me I'm trying to take notes.lol
                  Only problem is my view in UDK feels off balance which is why I need all the help I can get, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X