• Show
Clear All

• replied
    thank you max power..!! keep it up
    cheers

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Laser Door

I'll be using Kismet to create a timed laser beam that blocks the user.

In max, I modeled a door collar with spots where the beams will come out, and the beams themselves as a separate object.

Once imported to UDK, applied the blank material to the door, and made a new, glowing orange material for the beams themselves. For the material, I plugged in a very bright constant (so it glows) as a Vector Parameter. This way, I can quickly make Instances of this parent with whatever color I choose. In this case, orange.

Let's place that in the level.

Everything is looking right, now it's time to make it work. The idea is pretty simple, I want these beams to turn on and off. When they are active if the player touches they are penalized. If the player moves through them quickly enough while deactivated success.

I don't want to kill the player in the case, simply teleport them back. That's easy enough by setting up a Dynamic Trigger Volume where the beams are that teleports the player back to the spawn spot.

Next is toggling all of this on/off so the player has a window of opportunity to move through it. This is why I used a Dynamic Trigger Volume before. The beams need to be a InterpActor so they can be hidden. In kismet, I use a combination of Delays and Toggles. With this setup, the beams are active for 2 seconds, then deactivated for 1 second.

Simple and effective. Now that this gameplay is in place, it can be reused in a huge variety of ways which will be discussed later.

Video of this in action
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEizLN8i_J0

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Papyrus (working title) Complete Documentation

Papyrus (working title) Complete Documentation

Papyrus (working title) Complete Documentation

Current

[shot]http://chrisholden.net/udk-pap-space-01.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://chrisholden.net/udk-pap-artwip-02.jpg[/shot]

Papyrus is an Egyptian Science Fiction level. I will be using it to document my entire process I use when starting a new game/level.

First of all, I like to start every level on paper. Sketching up gameplay ideas, cinematic storyboarding, interesting looking scene, and so on. I try to come up with as many achievable gameplay elements before jumping into UDK. These are all rough sketches of basic concepts to be expanded once in tested in game.

I'll post this picture later because it's important to understand that drawing skills don't matter. It's about getting ideas down on paper.

Setting up my test level

Build a test level you can drop in all the gameplay, test art, etc. into. For these, I like to drop in a few brushes for floor, and go from there.

After opening UDK, then first thing I setup in a new Package for a project. I do this by creating a placeholder material. Right click in Content Browser, click New Material. Name the package, group and material itself based on your project's naming conventions.

With the material editor open. Add a constant. It can be found in the Material Expressions list or simply hold 1 and click. The constant to 0.5, and plug it into the Diffuse and Specular. The reason for this is to create a nice, blank material to apply to all placeholder assets. Being 0.5 it's a neutral gray that allow me to see any smoothing errors on meshes.

With the placeholder material down, I drop in a brush (2048 width/length, height 64, but doesn't matter) it's just a test floor to run around on. Add a Dominate Directional Light (to evenly light the world), and a playerstart.

Since I don't want the default hud or weapons, check No Default Inventory For Player in world properties, and setup a ToggleHUD in Kismet. I also added console command: setspeed 0.6 because the default run speed in UDK is hilariously fast.

With these in place, I have a nice, clean area to run around on, build and test things without any of the default UDK assets. We're officially ready to go!

Next post: Laser Beams!
Working...
X