My First Human Model.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Human Model.

I spent a good bit of time on this, I know he's far from perfect, but I like him.

The body is 1 mesh, but the clothes are each their own mesh.
    Obviously not sure how (or where (in udk or in 3ds)) to make hair.

Not sure how this is gonna work now that its skinning time, I am trying to keep clothing etc modular so I can let them change in game without having to make a million (dude_No1_with_blue_shirt_black_shorts.max ....) but now im not sure how I will go about rigging this all together.

ANYHOW.. I really just wanna show my model so far...

[shot]http://neuroticnetworks.com/male_1_Complete-Mesh+PANTS+Shoes+Hat+Shirt.jpg[/shot]

Using reference, particularly a human skeleton, would do you wonders over just winging it.

Comment

you shoudn't care about the hair. As max mention using reference is necessary. Also anatomy is really what give the real life to a character not detail like hair and such.

keep posting. Looking forward to see how you'd improve.

Comment

That is a good start. Congratulations and keep at it!! Just a tip:
        If you are modeling for a toonish style game, or for a realistic game, your model will vary depending on it. So always keep in mind what you're modeling for. Keep up the good work!

Comment

The model is too cartoonish.
          Make it more realistic.

Tips:
          1. N-Sided Quidam (www.n-sided.com)
          2. Makehuman (www.makehuman.org)

Comment

Originally posted by ilguano View Post
            That is a good start. Congratulations and keep at it!! Just a tip:
            If you are modeling for a toonish style game, or for a realistic game, your model will vary depending on it. So always keep in mind what you're modeling for. Keep up the good work!
            Thanks, I was going for a basic player model and I knew it would be easier to give it a game/toon type look versus spending forever making it perfect. I'm really more a programmer, hehe. I think what I got in the end was a qausi-toonish character and I'm ok with that. I just can't get my head 'in the game' when I'm using someone elses models but now I can add my animations and start creating a world for him.

For a bit of perspective on my character before him... I called it blockhead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrJO-9j7028 blockhead was derived from an even crappier model with no name at all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWGySjnQHdk

Thanks for all the replies and input so far!
            I appreciate all the tips

Comment

Of course. If you have to model for a realistic game, alot more work is involved into putting detail into the model, baking it to the textures / normals, etc. For a simple character for experimenting and working on, it suits you fine. Even for cloth sim. Congrats again

Comment

*UPDATE* - I mentioned before that the clothes were separate meshes, and I was concerned about being able to rig the nekkid body and then easily add the clothing meshes. I found out about Skin Wrap and used that, seems to work great (with a bit of tweaking). Now my concern is whether these objects will export/import to udk correctly and what additional steps may be required to make this method work. I've been reading about the 'convert to skin' portion of the skin wrap modifier and it seems like that might be the way to go if I want to export something done this way.

Any thoughts on this? A few words of wisdom from someone who has done this or something similar before would be very helpful.

And in case anyone is wondering, the reason I chose this method (separate mesh clothes) is because I want to be able to let the player change what their character wears, like so many other games do. I figured if I made the clothing part of the solid mesh, I'd need many mesh combos for all the possible clothing configurations (red hat, black pants,etc...) Hoping I'm on the right track.

Comment

Human proportions are the first step, even before anatomy (though technically proportions are anatomy...). The ideal human is 8 heads tall--that is, once a height is chosen for your character, you can divide it by 8 and get an accurate head size. This makes it really easy to figure out if your body parts are in the right place because:

From top of head to chin = 1 head
                  From chin to nipples = 1 head
                  From nipples to navel = 1 head
                  From navel to ***** bone = 1 head
                  From ***** bone to roughly 2/3 of thigh = 1 head
                  From 2/3 of thigh to right below kneecap = 1 head
                  From right below kneecap to 2/3 of shin = 1 head
                  From 2/3 of shin to bottom of foot = 1 head

Comment

*UPDATE*

Ok decided to try export to UDK via ActorX and the mesh was crazy messed up, verts everywhere.
                    So I removed the hat, pants, shirt, shoes and eyes and removed their skin wraps.
                    Now I get the mesh alone and naked fine, but There are holes all in the mesh, not sure why.
                    Something wrong with my mesh? It doesn't look like that in 3DS.

[shot]http://www.neuroticnetworks.com/why_did_this_happen.png[/shot]

Comment

Working...
                    X