The Concept Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Concept Thread

This thread I want to put into the group of "WIP threads". As everybody know, there are many of WIP threads about theirs games, maps and bla-bla. Some people just dont want to create their Own thread about theirs game because they aren't sure that they would make it fully, just started to create or already wants to end of creating theirs game or just have/haven't possibilities to end theirs ideas and minds, but they've already started. So I want to hear people, that will post there any of their ideas for games their just started to create or just dont post new threads.

You can post there:

- The main idea of your game and Why do you want to create this game.
    - The Scenario of your Game.
    - Some of Art and Plans (but not too much).
    - Gameplay features, Special things and Stuff.
    - Real Screenshots and Gameplay Video (on youtube.com, etc.)

Sorry for my english, I hope you will enjoy the main idea of this thread. Hope to see your WIP games !

Comment

lol isn't this like making a thread of this forum?

Comment

If you mean "This thread I want to put into the group of "WIP threads"." then I need to say that I just wanted to say that it will pick some material from another WIP threads that haven't posted yet, this is why I have made this..

Comment

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...10560&page=121

This is like the same thing as that.

Comment

UnspoiledWalnut yeah I know ! Exactly of this I wanted to turn to game's threads. There are only materials, models, scripts, no description, no ideas of their games, no screenshots and videos of Their Own games they are creating, only of the something of their details they've posted. I'm sure, nobody doesn't makes something with UDK if he not plans to make a machinima at least or game from that, so this is my plan to see other projects from people, that haven't described their games/etc. anywhere else.
            I'm not talking about MMORPG games from couple of people, that have lost in their dreams, projects that wouldn't exit never (but I hope there are exceptions) - this thread - just to way to show there the little or middle-sized projects.
            I very want to make you Understanding this thread. I can start from my "game", but this would be some kindness like stupid if I'll be the only one in this thread

Comment

I get what you're saying now.

Just because I have some free time on my hands right now I'll drop a description of what I'm working on.

I didn't spend a lot of time on the background of the game because I don't know if I want to continue developing it or not, but essentially it's a WWIII plot. Syria and Iran invaded Israel and US forces are sent to aid.

A company is stationed on the border of Lebanon and Syria. A small special forces detachment was sent to an industrial zone south Tartus, Syria, and set up a forward base there with several dozen units searching for a terrorist leader, Nadhir Alfarsi. Intel comes in that he has managed to acquire two bombs that have been stored in the city. The city has strategic value for US interests so the forces drop several chalks to clear the area for EOD to come disarm them. However, the forces underestimated the overwhelming support Alfarsi has in the area. The forces find themselves severely outnumbered and without appropriate supplies. When a helicopter is shot down, all hell breaks loose as a desperate rescue mission is attempted, resulting in several teams getting lost as the sun begins to go down. With nothing left to do, the soldiers make a final stand against Alfarsi's militia, awaiting for reinforcements to arrive from Lebanon.

Building footprints (about a quarter of the game area is shown).

Comment

My game places you as a police officer who has always dreamt of being a great detective, in it you'll become a detective under strange circumstances. An example of one of the cases you'll work on is, kids are being found dead at their computers all across the nation, some at libraries, in their homes, and at schools. It is somewhat like an X-Files game, but it is definitely not like anything else out there. It's open world, and it has a sorta complex story.

Comment

Like Condemned?

Comment

If I remember right, that was a survival horror game that had a city overrun by infected druggies? No, my game has some dark stuff in it, but the art direction and story is totally different. Think the Police Quest Series, with X-Files/paranormal influence, And comedy injected into it, sort of like Under A Killing Moon. And my game has very little amounts of shooting/combat. I think so far you will only need to hold a gun, about four times. In real life cops very rarely use their guns, A guy (or girl) can be a cop for years and never have to use their gun. I will give you the choice to use it, but that's up to you. Also, it's not going to be a realistic art style.

Comment

Not in LA....

Comment

Originally posted by UnspoiledWalnut View Post
                        Not in LA....
                        hahaha, when I first heard of that game, I was a little worried that it might step onto my games turf, but I'm confident that my game's ideas, story , and execution, will be unique enough to differentiate the two. First off, my game is in First-Person, and is very focused on puzzles/investigation, and not so much on combat which L.A. Noire will have plenty of. Also, L.A. Noire is realistic looking, and uses real crimes in it, where as mine has a sci-fi/paranormal edge to it, and doesn't look realistic at all. Mine is open world and has lots of conversation, but you won't be needing to tell if people are lying or not by looking at their faces, trust me you'll know if they are telling the truth or not, and NO L.A., I don't like L.A., my game is in a sort of Seattle/Washington D.C./London/Anchorage type city, with a few small towns and country side/woods mountains too. But there is a lot that I'm not telling yet as I don't want to spoil anything, or have an idea stolen.

My only concern is that L.A. Noire will cause a lot of people to praise Rockstar for making this totally "unique" game and making a "new" detective genre. Or that there will suddenly be a surge of new cheaply made Detective game clones, just like what happened to WWII and Extreme sports in video games. either way, I don't think anyone could have conceived the ideas that I've put in this game, but I am very excited for L.A. Noire.
                        its just that it isn't the first detective game, they've been around since the 80's.

Comment

No I mean literally, cops get shot at like every day in places like LA. I don't care about LA Noire, I haven't ever really been a fan of anything Rockstar has made (I have always found GTA to be incredibly stupid, I don't understand why people like them so much), and LA Noire looks like it's basically GTA in 1950 LA.

Your game isn't really my kind of thing though, from the sounds of it. Like, my game doesn't really have anything 'new' in it, I'm just kind of using the best of what FPS's have and spending most of my time working on making it intense (I want people to have the kind of feeling I had when I first played Halo: Combat Evolved, where there is just this feeling that you're ****ed the entire game). I did take a relatively unique workflow I think, though, that wouldn't be applicable to many other things. Ultimately my goal is to make it play out like a movie (focusing a lot on photorealism, using 3D scanners for a lot of stuff, trying to build a rig to help me with textures and whatnot). Moreover this is a good thing to test out a lot of my software on (building topology generator, mass modelling which I guess is basically a more intuitive form of Greeble, I'm building a motion capture system based on some open source software I found, and built up a 3D scan thing that isn't really working right now so I rented one for some things). Plus I want to just show that it's possible for one person to build a AAA game on a budget to make a point. Well I mean it won't be AAA, obviously, as I don't have millions of dollars to drop on advertising and the chances of many people knowing what it is is pretty slim, but quality wise. Then hopefully I'll make some money, have something to show off, and find myself a new team as I got kicked out of the last one I was on. Altogether I have six games at various stages in production, this is just the cheapest one I can do (three of them need servers for multiplayer, one of them I need to basically rebuild the engine I'm using for it and probably won't ever happen, and the other one I don't really HOW I'm going to make it into a game really, I mean I know how I want it to work but the storyline is... really really complicated and will likely **** a lot of people off as well so I'm a little worried about that, but it's one of those ideas you have that work out perfectly fine in your head, then you go to do it and it's worthless). It'll all get there slowly, I need to finish most of them now as I've poured thousands and thousands of hours into these **** things. I really want this scanner to work though, I think if I get this working then I can make some money on it. Don't want to really sell any of my other stuff yet.

Comment

Originally posted by UnspoiledWalnut View Post
                            No I mean literally, cops get shot at like every day in places like LA. I don't care about LA Noire, I haven't ever really been a fan of anything Rockstar has made (I have always found GTA to be incredibly stupid, I don't understand why people like them so much), and LA Noire looks like it's basically GTA in 1950 LA.

Your game isn't really my kind of thing though, from the sounds of it. Like, my game doesn't really have anything 'new' in it, I'm just kind of using the best of what FPS's have and spending most of my time working on making it intense (I want people to have the kind of feeling I had when I first played Halo: Combat Evolved, where there is just this feeling that you're ****ed the entire game). I did take a relatively unique workflow I think, though, that wouldn't be applicable to many other things. Ultimately my goal is to make it play out like a movie (focusing a lot on photorealism, using 3D scanners for a lot of stuff, trying to build a rig to help me with textures and whatnot). Moreover this is a good thing to test out a lot of my software on (building topology generator, mass modelling which I guess is basically a more intuitive form of Greeble, I'm building a motion capture system based on some open source software I found, and built up a 3D scan thing that isn't really working right now so I rented one for some things). Plus I want to just show that it's possible for one person to build a AAA game on a budget to make a point. Well I mean it won't be AAA, obviously, as I don't have millions of dollars to drop on advertising and the chances of many people knowing what it is is pretty slim, but quality wise. Then hopefully I'll make some money, have something to show off, and find myself a new team as I got kicked out of the last one I was on. Altogether I have six games at various stages in production, this is just the cheapest one I can do (three of them need servers for multiplayer, one of them I need to basically rebuild the engine I'm using for it and probably won't ever happen, and the other one I don't really HOW I'm going to make it into a game really, I mean I know how I want it to work but the storyline is... really really complicated and will likely **** a lot of people off as well so I'm a little worried about that, but it's one of those ideas you have that work out perfectly fine in your head, then you go to do it and it's worthless). It'll all get there slowly, I need to finish most of them now as I've poured thousands and thousands of hours into these **** things. I really want this scanner to work though, I think if I get this working then I can make some money on it. Don't want to really sell any of my other stuff yet.
                            Oh!!! reading my last post prior to yours that makes sense. Yeah cops do get shot at like everyday in L.A. I obviously thought you meant the game. I don't like Grand Theft Auto at all, but I can understand why the third one was important for open world games, and how the amount of things to do and the realism of the fourth one is pretty ground breaking. I do however really enjoy Red Dead Redemption and Midnight Club 3, bully looks interesting too, but I'm not really a Rockstar fan, I think they make good quality games though, a lot better than CoD.

glad to see someone mentioning Halo: Combat Evolved though. It's my favorite Halo game and it was a game that seriously changed the way I look at games, I still remember the first time I played it at a friends house. The big ring in space on the main screen and the music on his huge TV, and the fact that I'd never seen an Xbox before, the controller was so cool, then we played Flawless Cowboy, and I was blown away by it. Your games sound pretty cool, one of the games I'm making is somewhat more of a shooter than the one I'm making right now, but I mostly am trying to make games that are focused on more than just anger and violence, and more on sadness and other emotions, like can I make you cry or laugh? I want to put a good story in all of my games but I want to move away from people saying that they are like movies, because I want them to be seen for why they are unique compared to movies, My games could be compared to Indigo Prophecy or Heavy Rain though. But I just want them to be fun and be games that stick with people.

Comment

I remember my mom got me the first one for the Playstation when I was like 8 and I liked that one but it got taken away when she figured out what it was until I was a little older then my dad gave it back because he wanted to play it. RDR I liked kinda, I forgot that was by them. And Halo, I was originally somewhat disappointed because I thought it was significantly different but then played it nonstop anyway. And obviously everyone remembers it, but it sticks out a lot more than the other ones because I think A. it kind of came out of no where (I mean I know it was in development forever, but how many people really knew about it?), and B. the storyline was really, when you think about it, fairly cliche, but it played out so perfectly compared to the other two (I mean in reality when Halo 2 came out we pretty much knew that the UNSC was going to win and it lost that feeling that CE had where you like need to go).

I'll probably post more on the story and background of mine a little later on tonight. I've been rewriting it and I still want to change it kinda because it's fairly predictable, but I think I've got it around where I like it now. Once I start working on the art side more I'm going to put up a website and incorporate (no point now, I don't think anyone is that interested in theories and whatnot that I'm trying to use) to get ready for publishing. The story isn't that complex obviously, but I don't want to focus on this huge wide thing like CoD and BF seem to. Rather, a lot of the things I'm planning interconnect, I even wrote a book that I'm working on editing and gonna see if I can find a publisher (I don't know how to publish books... it's a lot harder than games are, amazingly. Who woulda thought?), but they are all around one specific event, in this case a minor offensive against a city, and give some insight into the rest of the world. And they all focus a lot more on immersion than on a unique storyline (this one takes place over around 12 hours and I think the game will probably take around 9 to beat). I want the player to feel like they're actually there in danger (my ultimately goal here to find a video of someone getting WAY to into it and like jumping around the room. You know when that happens you have succeeded) and are to an extent more concerned with keeping the player alive than just mow down enemies. The next game has almost no combat, more like Mirror's Edge or somewhere where combat is a part of it, but mostly for the storyline and shock and awe events because those are awesome (like when the nuke goes off in CoD4!). But moreover they're all totally different gameplay styles, as in the event I get enough money to start a little studio ever I don't want to be like Bungie or something where they get one good game and try to copy it for the rest of it's existence and ruin it. I have a few other things I'm working on that are independent of the WWIII series (and will be significantly longer or have multiplayer, which I can't afford right now so I'm starting on this because I'm pretty excited about. I have six stories altogether including the book and two games, not sure what I want to do with them. I've always wanted to make a movie, might try my hand at that sometime. One of them would be a great movie, not much of a game and not long enough for a book). Sorry guys I rant (I already wrote it all and seems like a waste not to post it now, right? Right).

Comment

Working...
                              X