Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

3rd person action camera

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,
    I 'm using July 2011 UDK, and trying to create some TPS games.

Sorry for basic question,
    I found "DefaultEngine.ini" and "DefaultEngineUDK.ini" in "Config" folder.
    Which should I use?

Comment

Well, I've been gone a while, and got bored enough to start messin with UDK again so I figured I'd see if this still worked on the current version, and it does

One important note, for anyone who is having issues with the zoom not working, make sure you add the bindings at the bottom of the list in each section, not the top.

Comment

interchangeable camera views

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this thread has helped me a whole lot, and google did not find newer ones.

one question: setting zoom distance?

my real goal is to allow the player to set the camera + angle so they can play as they want ie: if they want to play fps style zoom the camera all the way up until the player is no longer visible, if the player wants to play over-the-shoulder zoom the camera out to preferred location. or if the player wants to play isometric with the camera up-and-over the player zoom the camera up and place it over via mouse middle button click the player can then play in that way. How can this be achieved?

Comment

No problem with resurrecting an old threads here, sir, we're here to help/learn.

You mean you want to "lock" to player's choice or just add the zoom functionality and all?

Comment

Basically I would like the player to choose the view distance, I personally like to play far away especially when there are lots of enemies, but in towns I like to play with the camera closer so I can enjoy the detail. with the mousewheel I want the player to "scale" the camera and the "wasd" keys he can run around. On "middle mouse press" I want free look.

The left and right buttons would have to be for interactions "peaceful" (talking to npcs rummaging through boxes etc) in town and "hostile" (blocking and attacking) in fields.

I am sorry but I am lost and I have spent literally hours looking at as many tutorials that google has showed me. and this one is the one that is working closest to my desired goals.

Comment

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...plete!-D/page2

This is the one I used, you can do everything you say with it, use the mouse wheel to zoom, rotate around the character, and change the pitch of the camera (character remains at the center of interest). The think I didn't like about the setup described on this thread is that I couldn't get the rotators to work and the character "snaps" to the direction you move instead of smoothly rotate.

The hostile/town thing would greatly depend on your game. If your town was a separate level, you can use a separate playercontroller, but if you get in and out of town "seamlessly" you may want to use a different approach. Basically it would be a matter of using the input command for more than one action, and letUnreal know when one or the other has to be performed.

Comment

Like many others, this tutorial has helped me a lot. I've somehow got everything in working order, but I would like to know as well as nemirc, if there is a way to animate the character smoothly when changing direction. I wouldn't mind using separate animations if it's needed, but it really feels like there is a way to smooth out the current directional movement.

Thank you again for the tutorial and all the help guys!

Comment

Still haven't been able to fix that. I used logs to spot what part of the code is fired every time you change direction, and tried to use one of those functions that ease the rotation, but no luck, it always snaps into the new direction.

Comment

great tutorial, this works really well, however when i zoom out and rotate around the character i'm getting some kindof distortion, the sounds i have going in the background skip, and the game seems to run a bit laggy or something, know any way to fix this?

Comment

Change height of camera pivot point

Thank you for sharing the code, I've been using it for quite some time now in my little 'for-fun' projects.

I wanted to change the height of the camera pivot point so that I would orbit around the head instead of the hips, so I implemented it as follows in the player controller:

Code:
                      simulated event GetPlayerViewPoint(out vector POVLocation, out rotator POVRotation)
                      {
                      	local vector cameraFocalPoint;

if(GamePlayerCamera(PlayerCamera).CameraStyle == 'FreeCam_Default')
                      	{
                      		super.GetPlayerViewPoint(POVLocation, POVRotation);

cameraFocalPoint = Pawn.Location;

cameraFocalPoint.Z = Pawn.Location.Z + CameraOffsetZ;

POVRotation = rotator(cameraFocalPoint - POVLocation);
                      	}
                      	else
                      	{
                      		super.GetPlayerViewPoint(POVLocation, POVRotation);
                      	}
                      }

DefaultProperties
                      {
                      	CameraClass = class 'GameFramework.GamePlayerCamera'
                      	CameraOffsetZ = 30.0 // This ended up being about right for my character's head height.
                      }
                      It works, but I'm still interested in knowing if there is a better way to accomplish the offset. I looked for a few days for other ideas, but came up with this for lack of something better.

Comment

I really like this tutorial and how it lays everything out in the script folders, but when I went to try it out with my newer version of UDK, (which is the UDK-2012-10 version) there weren't the same lines of code in your earlier steps. Am I just looking in the wrong spots for the lines I need to swap out? Or is it that my update version has changed the lines of code I was looking for? If the lines of code are different, what would I need to change in order to make this camera script work?

Comment

Hey Sargos (and anyone else), ever manage to get smooth rotations happening for WASD controls? Trying my best but I'm pretty newbie at UScript. Love the camera, still the best I can find today.

Comment

I also have an error

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
                            Screenshots that only show half an error message are completely useless. You can cut and paste the text a lot faster, and we'll actualyl be able to tell what it is
                            Code:
                            [0001.95] Init: Version: 10900
                            [0001.95] Init: Epic Internal: 0
                            [0001.95] Init: Compiled (32-bit): Feb 18 2013 19:22:39
                            [0001.95] Init: Command line:
                            [0001.95] Init: Base directory: C:\UDK\UDK-2013-02\Binaries\Win32\
                            [0001.95] Init: Character set: Unicode
                            [0001.95] Log: Executing Class UnrealEd.MakeCommandlet
                            [0002.58] --------------------Core - Release--------------------
                            [0002.62] --------------------Engine - Release--------------------
                            [0003.83] --------------------IpDrv - Release--------------------
                            [0003.94] --------------------GFxUI - Release--------------------
                            [0003.96] --------------------GameFramework - Release--------------------
                            [0004.12] --------------------UnrealEd - Release--------------------
                            [0004.23] --------------------GFxUIEditor - Release--------------------
                            [0004.24] --------------------WinDrv - Release--------------------
                            [0004.25] --------------------OnlineSubsystemPC - Release--------------------
                            [0004.27] --------------------OnlineSubsystemSteamworks - Release--------------------
                            [0004.30] --------------------OnlineSubsystemGameCenter - Release--------------------
                            [0004.33] --------------------SubstanceAir - Release--------------------
                            [0004.34] --------------------SubstanceAirEd - Release--------------------
                            [0004.35] --------------------UDKBase - Release--------------------
                            [0004.47] --------------------UTEditor - Release--------------------
                            [0004.48] --------------------MyMod - Release--------------------
                            [0004.48] Analyzing...
                            [0004.49] C:\UDK\UDK-2013-02\Binaries\..\Development\Src\MyMod\Classes\DefaultEngine.uc : Error, Bad class definition ''/''/6010/6010
                            [0004.49] Compile aborted due to errors.
                            [0004.54]
                            [0004.54] Warning/Error Summary
                            [0004.54] ---------------------
                            [0004.54] C:\UDK\UDK-2013-02\Binaries\..\Development\Src\MyMod\Classes\DefaultEngine.uc : Error, Bad class definition ''/''/6010/6010
                            [0004.54]
                            [0004.54] Failure - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
                            [0004.55]
                            Execution of commandlet took:  2.58 seconds

Comment

ty this is what I've been looking for, thanks again

Comment

For anyone still interested in finding out how to smooth the turning of the character, here's how:

You open PlayerController script, you scroll down to the "PlayerWalking" function and replace all four lines of:

Pawn.SetRotation(tempRot)

to

Pawn.SetRotation(RInterpTo(Pawn.Rotation, tempRot, DeltaTime, 75000, true));

If you want faster rotation, increase the 75000, and of course if you want slower turn speed, decrease it.

Comment

Working...
                                X