RPG name Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RPG name Ideas

I wasn't too sure which forum to post this in, but i can't think of a name for my WIP. I going to be a traditional RPG (ie: menu based with swords and magic and goblins and dragons and set in the middle ages) There have been thousands of RPGs, but i cant think of any names that sound too origional. Plz help!!!

I'm not too sure why you're concerned about the name being original when you plan to make the game "traditional." I've always thought it best if names match what they are naming.

...but I think I may be able to help you out, depending on what kind of name you want.

If you don't care about meaning, and you will be alright with a name that doesn't actually mean anything, or even come from any language at all, then you can create a randomized name rather easily, just by following a few simple rules that every word follows.

First, you need to ask yourself how many syllables you want it to have. When you decide on that, pick that many vowels (or vowel sounds), at random. I don't recomend more than 4 syllables, unless you run it by several other different kinds of people to make sure it is pronouncable and doesn't sound silly or weird. (Unless you WANT it to.)

Then you need to ask yourself if you want it to sound masculine or feminine.
    If you want feminine, it should end with a vowel sound, and have consonants that can be drawn out (like s or n).
    If you want it to sound masculine, then it should end in a consonant sound, and have stuccato consonants (like t or k).

If you want it to be neutral gender, then combine these qualities, of course.
    Keep in mind that, especially with short words, sometimes neutral gender is tricky to obtain (like Keith and Beth- both should be 2/3 masculine, but Keith is 100% masculine and Beth is 90% feminine). So always say it out loud to get the feel of it.

Next, pick 0-3 consonants per syllable, with no less than at least 1 consonant per 4 syllables. The more consonants you have per syllable, the more sophistocated it sounds, yet the harder it tends to be to pronounce as well. Too few consonants make it sound like primitive wailing.

Now that you have all these random letters, rearrange them around a few times in ways that are easily pronouncable until you find something you like the sound of.

Finally, Google it to make sure it hasn't already been taken (great minds think alike).

If, on the other hand, you want your name to mean something, I'd suggest Googling a name meaning site, pick a name for a person you like the meaning of, choose a random word with a related definition, and mix the name and the word together in the most easy to prounounce way that still lets people know what you're refrencing. It's even more important to Google such names, as it is far more likely they have already been used, like Dragulia.

You could always just use 2 or more words with related, or even unrelated definitions, instead of actual names.

The more random you get, the more likely it won't be taken, but the more likely it won't sound good, too- like Dragordic (dragon, sword, magic). Googling Dragordic brings up no results, so it's available, and you may use it if you want. I think it sounds silly, but also matches your game description.

Comment

The above post was awesome =D. Though you could also just think of what the game conveys, and put that into a word or three. That's how I come up with the names for my stories. I'd offer some names, but I don't know much about the game.

Comment

mmmm...

Baldur's nights origins (baldur's gate + neverwinter + dragon age)
        Dragonout (Dragon age + fallout)
        Fallvion (fallout + oblivion) <- mmm, I like this name
        Rat killer (or something like this, all rpgs first fight is vs rats)

I don't know, I am very bad with names and english.

Comment

Originally posted by ikifenix View Post
          mmmm...

Baldur's nights origins (baldur's gate + neverwinter + dragon age)
          Dragonout (Dragon age + fallout)
          Fallvion (fallout + oblivion) <- mmm, I like this name
          Rat killer (or something like this, all rpgs first fight is vs rats)

I don't know, I am very bad with names and english.

Haha, good job.

-Polite

Comment

With any sort of media, it helps to make the game first, this way you can get a better perspective of the game itself, unfortunately, there is usually a difference between what someone plans out, and what the final product is, if it wasn't like this, every game would be good.

Comment

Dungeons and Dragoons.

Comment

YAFR (Yet Another Fantasy RPG)
                It's the lazy man's naming convention.

Comment

Medieval Magic
                  The Times of Magic
                  Magic, knights and goblins xD
                  Magic sword
                  The Adventure Of Boy (or who is that ?)
                  The Magic World of Fight
                  The Great Battle of magicka and knights
                  The Grand Theft Magic

Comment

Something with my name it in (Varine will also do as it may be easier to incorporate than UnspoiledWalnut).

Comment

Brick Hick (for masculine)
                      Not Anomaly (for feminine)

Old Season (for Neutral)

Comment

Medieval Varine
                        The Times of Varine
                        Magic, knights and Varine
                        Magic Varine
                        The Adventure Of Varine
                        The Magic World of Varine
                        The Great Battle of magicka and Varine
                        The Grand Theft Varine

Comment

All of the above by Jarro will be acceptable.

Comment

Working...
                          X