No announcement yet.

Unrealscript Studio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can make this better than WOTgreal and nFringe (the latter won't be that hard, since yours won't require to register somewhere to get VS and can probably also be used for commercial projects), you will be a hero.

Really very important are:
    -A good search (with options to search Classnames, Full Text, Current Class, Current + Child Classes, Current + Parent Classes)
    -Holding CTRL and clicking on a function or variable name and the program will jump to the next higher instance where that variable or function is defined.
    -A working debugger!
    -Buttons to quickly edit the EditPackages list in the INIs
    -Reliable syntax highlighter.

If you manage to get that all working, it would be awesome.

Oh, and not forgetting about the most important one: the colour style has to be like the built-in script editor from UEd 2, like it's also available in WOTgreal. I can't code if the white background burns my eyes.

[SHOT]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/1128/superstyle.jpg[/SHOT]

So, how's the progress going on?

Comment

amazing!

Great work!!!

Tell us when you need some beta testers ^^!

Comment

[SHOT]http://www.digitalconfectioners.com/images/UCStudio/UIDE-10012011.png[/SHOT]
        It's been a pretty busy last couple of weeks, but I manage to squeeze in several hours into the script parser. It's still very young, but it's able to find all functions, variables and so forth. So this is one of the more advanced tools built into the IDE, which is the default properties editor. Rather than having to do this by hand, you'll be able to use a GUI to do all the heavy lifting for you. I know it seems overkill for single variable definitions, but imagine arrays of structs with arrays in them.

However, at the moment, arrays and structs aren't parsed just yet.

I know this may seem like a silly request, but could you ensure that you add the ability for your intellisense to detect variables that are declared as local? It seems like an elementary feature, but it doesn't seem to work/doesn't seem to be in nFringe, and it's really killing me lol.
        Yes, although what I'd more likely do is have a small window or something which shows you all of the functions local variables rather than using intellisense all the time.

Also another basic feature request would be to be able to change how many characters need to be entered before intellisense starts up. nFringe seems to have this hard-coded at one, which makes it annoying when it pops up when I try to use a single letter variable, for example a for loop, I have a set in stone habit of declaring "i" for the for loop, and whenever I try to use that variable, pop! Up comes intellisense suggesting that I use "if" instead... it has lead to a lot of errors.
        That sounds very reasonable to me. When I get round to writing the intellisense, I will remember this.

Is it going to be 100% free for commercial use?
        I'm still thinking about this. It's possible, but probably with limitations. However, I haven't fully considered this yet, as I'm more concerned about developing the program.

What are the plans for debugging support?
        Breakpoints like standard Visual Studio is what I'd like.

Great initiative. I hope you finish this one. It would be a great asset for the entire community.

Looking forward to see your progress.
        Thanks!

A good search (with options to search Classnames, Full Text, Current Class, Current + Child Classes, Current + Parent Classes)
        Sounds like a good idea. Will be interesting to see how advanced I can make it.

Holding CTRL and clicking on a function or variable name and the program will jump to the next higher instance where that variable or function is defined.
        Certainly an interesting idea.

Buttons to quickly edit the EditPackages list in the INIs
        Done. You can add/remove non Epic packages with a click of the button.

Reliable syntax highlighter
        This will mostly be handled by Scintilla. No need to reinvent the wheel when someone else does it well.

Oh, and not forgetting about the most important one: the colour style has to be like the built-in script editor from UEd 2, like it's also available in WOTgreal. I can't code if the white background burns my eyes.
        I'd likely make it all customizable so that if you don't like the defaults, you can just change it.

Great work!!!

Tell us when you need some beta testers ^^!
        Will do! Thanks.

Comment

Hey, this sounds awesome!

How far into the project are you? or perhaps, how far until you release a beta?

Would you be able to add in links that go straight to a specific part of UDN? like say you are having camera troubles.. you open something up and scroll down a list to find camera, click it and it takes you to the page on UDN that is all about cameras?

Just a spur of the moment idea, i could imagine it would be rather tedious though :P

Good luck and i cant wait to see how it turns out!

All the best,
          aZzy

Comment

Oh yes, how come I forgot about the boring INI stuff. It would be great to modify them with a nice GUI. Not only for packages, but for stuff like Input.

Anyways, this is exciting really. Good job James, keep it up.

Comment

This looks really promising, and the lord knows we need a good stand alone IDE!

If it turns out to be as good as it looks and the price-range is affordable I wouldn't mind opening up the wallet for this

Comment

Originally posted by aZzy View Post
                Would you be able to add in links that go straight to a specific part of UDN? like say you are having camera troubles.. you open something up and scroll down a list to find camera, click it and it takes you to the page on UDN that is all about cameras?
                Your web browser has this ability built-in already. They are called bookmarks.

Comment

haha. Yea i mean if you come across a problem that you have not experienced before :P

Comment

wow,Good work, looks very interesting

Comment

Nice .........

Comment

Gj man~! i can't wait for that~

Comment

I'll have to keep watching this, looks promising!
                          Some things I didn't like about nFringe you might want to consider:
                          No refactor (like in eclipse)
                          Seems to miss all the functions from most basic classes (no functions listed inherited from actor), then again that might have been my set-up
                          Hard to set up
                          No live sanity checks (checks whether called functions or even variables exist, arguments match etc)

I understand these features are pretty advanced but this would really give you an edge over nFringe etc.

Comment

I agree with what Dr Bearhands said....

Comment

No update so far ?

Comment

Things have been pretty busy last couple of months, but I finally got round to updating the editor.

[shot]http://www.digitalconfectioners.com/images/UCStudio/UnrealscriptEditor-29-04-2011.png[/shot]

Variables are now parsed properly, which means I can do a bunch of stuff with them. For now it means I've correctly detected what a variable is, which means I can do smart things such as opening more convenient tools for different types of structs etc.

Parsing script is a tricky subject, and I've definitely gained an appreciation for people who compilers and parsers as their day job.

I've also put categories into the default properties to make it easier.

If it turns out to be as good as it looks and the price-range is affordable I wouldn't mind opening up the wallet for this
                                Does $0.00 sound like a good price? I've come to the decision that I will be making this 100% free; donation for those who really want to give us monies (which we are very appreciative for).

Comment

Working...
                                X