Grapple Alpha Demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grapple Alpha Demo

I've moved to Oxford, England and have been AFK for quite a few months and will simply not have any time to work on my old grapple for another year. Since I keep getting messages, requests, etc., I've decided to just release an old alpha from August for anyone interested to play around on.

[shot]http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7808/screenshot00000q.png[/shot]
    Here's a video of an admittedly older version, but it will give you the right idea.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qggWgDqX1mI

Release Notes:
    - It's very rough and this demo wasn't meant to be released, everything is just placeholder, random art; but I'll release it anyhow so I stop getting messages;
    - To use it, press either: (1) Mouse Thumb Button or (2) Shift;
    - Why those buttons? Because dual wield is loosely implemented in this version (but disabled in this release), so I had to leave normal firing buttons alone;

Technical Notes:
    - It's a simulated rope or spring based on Hooke's Law;
    - The farther you stretch the spring, the harder it pulls you (distance based);
    - In "swing" mode, one force pulls you in, while the other pulls away to produce a stable rope;
    - This means you can truly swing as if you were on a physics-based rope;
    - This is all calculated mathematically and applied out via Force, there is no use of physics (due to Pawn limitations);

How to use it:
    - Just launch the projectile using either (1) or (2) above;
    - If you do nothing, it will simply pull you in towards the projectile;
    - If you press either (1) or (2) again it will release you;
    - If you scroll with the mousewheel, it will change into "swinging" state;
    - If you continue to scroll, you can adjust the "rope" length of your swing;
    - While swinging, you can "lean into" the swing to get a higher swing, "lean against" the swing to reduce the swing, try seeing how movement affects the swing (think of how you'd play on a swing set as a child);

Things to try:
    - Attach yourself to something hanging over you (middle of level), let it reel you in, then reel yourself back out a bit with the mousewheel, and just swing, swing, swing;
    - While being pulled towards a target, engage the mousewheel to engage swing in mid-flight;
    - Shoot at an ledge above you, but release early, using momentum to successfully "hop" up over the ledge;
    - Break your fall with it by shooting the floor or a nearby wall;
    - The most effective method of movement is to "slingshot" yourself, release the grapple well before you reach your destination to really get some air;
    - Get a really big "rebound" effect by falling downwards yet shooting above you, it will really "stretch" the cord and send you flying;
    - Unfortunately player grab wasn't in August release, but you can pick up other players and slam them into the ground making for a satisfying kill, I'll make sure its in the next release;

Have fun, sorry for people who write me asking about it, I'm completely consumed with school for the next year and will only intermittently check the forums. Cheers to all who helped me along the way, especially the guru's over in the programming subforum.

Links:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4WH6KU0W
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/iv7z5r...Install-PX.exe

Dan

nice man cool release

Comment

Hmmm, that grapple reminds me of some game that is released soon... What is it called, hm.... Would be cool with a vid!

Enjoy oxford, i lived there for a year. Check out Cafe Terifa in Cowley, its a great place!

Comment

You mean the whip player grab thing in Bulletstorm? It really doesn't act like that at all, but I suppose visually it's a bit like it. I'll have to wait and see if Bulletstorm's whip plays like I think it will, but the way I'm doing player grab is just an extension of the existing grapple code (simulated spring) and behaves differently than I think Bulletstorm will.

If you or anyone else has any "feel" feedback, let me know. Like any designer, I've been using it for so long I have no idea what a new users feels when he/she experiences it for the first time.

p.s. I'll hit that cafe, I live in the city center at Exeter, but get down around Cowley sometimes

Comment

danimal its really fun, where are you planning on taking it ?

Comment

Here's my subjective feedback:
            - I'd prefer to have the swing mode as a default.
            - Pressing jump would let go of the hook and perform a jump.
            - Right now, when I've set the "rope" to a specific length, it doesn't become any shorter, and instead pushes you away. For example, attach the rope right beneath your feet and then scroll to make it longer.
            - There's plenty of bugs related to using this with feign death.
            - There's no limit for how short you can make the rope.

Great work so far, and I really like the feel of swinging, with the exception of the "rope" length not being able to become shorter.

Comment

Thank you! I had originally planned on making a small, online gametype featuring it plus some fun custom weapons I've designed. Since swinging and flying around with multiple people is just fun (so is trying to pick them up with it and smashing them into the ground)! Alternatively, I had thought about making more of a Portal style game with it, with a series of obstacles/tasks that had to be overcome through the unique movement it provides. Still sort of throwing around ideas since I'm on hiatus here, would love to hear what you or anyone else thinks it should be used for

Comment

Originally posted by TheDopefish View Post
                Here's my subjective feedback:
                - I'd prefer to have the swing mode as a default.
                Elaborate for me, if you shot a surface and it did not pull you in, you'd just sit there. Do you mean you'd prefer it only be used in a situation where you'd be jumping into a chasm and it would just connect and swing with no reel-in?

- Pressing jump would let go of the hook and perform a jump.
                Not a bad idea, I do that currently actually (I give the player an upward velocity upon release), but I know what you mean.

- Right now, when I've set the "rope" to a specific length, it doesn't become any shorter, and instead pushes you away. For example, attach the rope right beneath your feet and then scroll to make it longer.
                This might be a bug. To be clear, you can always adjust the rope longer/shorter by using the mousewheel. Always. Are you encountering a time where that is broken and it won't go shorter (and should be able to)?

- There's plenty of bugs related to using this with feign death.
                Yah, I'll eventually put in a check to make sure the player isn't in feign death, I forget that people can and will find every thing you rarely use but haven't accounted for

- There's no limit for how short you can make the rope.
                There is, but what specifically do you mean, I assume you mean you're encountering a situation where the rope is too short and is acting bizarrely? Elaborate for me if you don't mind

Great work so far, and I really like the feel of swinging, with the exception of the "rope" length not being able to become shorter.
                Cool man, thanks for the feedback. I've been playing with it for a year so it's hard for me to know how it feels to someone new to it. Really appreciate the feedback!

Comment

Why not do both?

The portal style gameplay could work as a single player campaign, as it would be harder to make it balanced and working with a variable number of people.

It can be done though, with stuff like having to do things collaboratively as attaching to each others, or having to trigger things at the same time.

Other than that I'd really like to see a gameplay mode with a obstacle course for speedrun/time trial.

Multiplayer mode sounds like fun, but will probably be quite a hassle to implement and get it working properly

How much time have you spent on this project so far?

Comment

Originally posted by danimal' View Post
                    Elaborate for me, if you shot a surface and it did not pull you in, you'd just sit there. Do you mean you'd prefer it only be used in a situation where you'd be jumping into a chasm and it would just connect and swing with no reel-in?
                    It was working fine at all times, and the reeling-in/out worked at all times I tried it. I would prefer to trigger the reel in instead of it happening by default, so jumping down a chasm and hooking onto a ledge would swing me with the length of the rope that extended before it attached itself.

This might be a bug. To be clear, you can always adjust the rope longer/shorter by using the mousewheel. Always. Are you encountering a time where that is broken and it won't go shorter (and should be able to)?
                    As I mentioned above, the reeling-in/out feature seemed to be working at all times without any hitches. However, I personally would've liked it to be more like rope physics, meaning that if I attach it on the ground infront of me, reeled-out a bit, I would still be able to walk towards it.

When I attach it below my feet now and reel-out, it pushes me up into the air.

I could reel-in, but it doesn't feel intuitive for me when I want to keep the length again when I jump off.

Yah, I'll eventually put in a check to make sure the player isn't in feign death, I forget that people can and will find every thing you rarely use but haven't accounted for
                    I've worked as a Quality Assurance for almost four years, so my first instinct is to try stuff out

There is, but what specifically do you mean, I assume you mean you're encountering a situation where the rope is too short and is acting bizarrely? Elaborate for me if you don't mind
                    I was able to reel-in soo close to the wall that the camera started twitching around, and then I had to reel-out quite a bit before it would extend the rope.

Cool man, thanks for the feedback. I've been playing with it for a year so it's hard for me to know how it feels to someone new to it. Really appreciate the feedback!
                    No worries, I'm just glad if I could be of any assistance. Only thing I could suggest is to release versions occasionally to let people try it out and provide feedback for it

Comment

Oh this is awesome

Comment

Heh, glad you like it, feel free to leave any feedback. I'm slowly finding time for UDK stuff again, I'll probably do another grapple update in the next month or so, any thoughts especially on the "feel" of the grapple are especially welcome (too fast, slow, too springy, not springy enough, etc).

Comment

Ooo fancy that a grapple weapon, sweet!

Comment

Nice work danimal.
                            A question: what forces do you apply to the instigator when using the "swining" mode to keep the pawn floating in the air?

Thanks

Comment

I'm using this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke's_law

Comment

Working...
                              X